SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Chuck Yeager, The Right Stuff.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chuck Yeager, The Right Stuff. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
So I watched The Right Stuff again tonight for the lord knows how many-ith time.
And it wasn't till afterward when I was looking in the credits that I saw he had a cameo appearance. I can't believe with all the times I've seen this movie, I never noticed it, that's sad. Big Grin

What I was looking for on IMDB was Jane Doornacker, who played nurse Murch.
I'd seen the movie countless times without ever realizing she played the part. I learned that on IMDB after the last time I watch The Right Stuff. (lol I learn something each time)
Jane Doornacker was musician/comedian/actress... she also did helicopter traffic reports. She was working for WNBC in NY, she was killed when the chopper she was in crashed. I was one of the countless people listening in shock when it happened live on the air. I never forgot her or that day.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Chuck Yeager’s autobiography was one of the best I’ve ever read. That is, for a guy who geeks out on books written about famous pilots.

If that’s in your line of interest, then you should also pick up Bob Hoover’s book, as well as Doolittle’s, Tex Johnston’s, Tom Stafford’s, and Mike Collins’.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I knew who Chuck was in the film when I watched it the first time in the 80’s. He was an excellent pilot and for years, after he walked away, he’d fly X and see what he had to say. If you are done and have people calling you to fly our military’s latest, you’ve done pretty well in your career. One of our great pilots. Highest respect. He took air aircraft to their limit in his day. Great Stuff was great with him as a bartender.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Did I mention I had breakfast with him once in 1984. Funny thing is, I saw him 30 years later and he didn't remember me. Imagine that. Wink

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen Yeager had known my NCOIC and would stop by our office every time he flew into Ramstein AFB in the early 70s. We would visit and he hid out while he smoked cigars that he probably wasn't supposed to have. He was a hell of a nice guy to chat with and told some really good stories.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Hell of a life.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
Chuck Yeager’s autobiography was one of the best I’ve ever read. That is, for a guy who geeks out on books written about famous pilots.

If that’s in your line of interest, then you should also pick up Bob Hoover’s book, as well as Doolittle’s, Tex Johnston’s, Tom Stafford’s, and Mike Collins’.

I'd add Robin Olds' to that list as well.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

Absolutely. And John Boyd, while we’re at it.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Fifteen or more years back , I was at the Safari Club Convention in Reno. Basically a high end hunting/gun show. Yeager was there with General Schwartzkoff.

I was in line to buy a drink and they were in line behind me. When I paid for my drink, I told the waiter to add a drink for each of them as well. They go up, get a drink and he tells them I paid.

Best $10 I ever spent! We ended up talking for fifteen minutes.

Sad that Schwartzkoff died so soon afterwards.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Frank, you may not believe this, but as soon as I saw your name in this thread, I knew even before I read your post that you were going to say you met Yeager.

And I believe you. Big Grin

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Hell of a life.

Hell of a man to have the discipline to be able to maintain eye contact! Cool

I received his auto-biography as a Christmas present in 1985. Great book!
I just pulled it from the bookcase, and it's now next in my reading rotation.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Frank, you may not believe this, but as soon as I saw your name in this thread, I knew even before I read your post that you were going to say you met Yeager.

And I believe you. Big Grin

LOL. What can I say? I have been Lucky.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

Some years back I ran across Eddie Rickenbacker's autobiography, and have to recommend it, if you can find it. Probably the most accomplished of any of these guys, he won an early Indianapolis 500, then his WWI flying, Rickenbacker Car Company, Eastern Air Lines, lost in the Pacific for three weeks...

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post