SIGforum
Anna - Luc Besson Movie - Potential Spoilers

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3460084854

July 02, 2019, 03:15 PM
henryarnaud
Anna - Luc Besson Movie - Potential Spoilers
I could've sworn there was a thread already started, but I couldn't find it, so I'm starting this one.

I just saw the movie Anna. I thought it was entertaining. Basically, it's La Femme Nikita, but with modern action sensibilities and some cool twists that weren't in the original or the American remake, Point of No Return. I thought the fight scenes were pretty good, if unbelievable.

While I don't expect movies to be 100% accurate with stuff, there were a couple things that pulled me out of my "suspension of disbelief."

[SPOILER ALERT]

1. The movie takes place over the period 1985-1990. I don't recall there being laptops that use USB ports (or what looks like USB thumb drives). While I could be wrong, if I am I'd still have a hard time believing that a down-and-out couple, in a crappy apartment, complaining about their lack of money, would have not only a laptop, but also the Internet in 1980s Moscow.

2. There are a few scenes that involve basically a SWAT team, with all the SWAT gear, working for the CIA, with shoulder patches on their uniforms saying, "CIA Special Ops". In Paris. That just struck me as being stupid.

I was able to pretty much ignore everything else and enjoy the movie, but I like Luc Besson's movies (still haven't seen Lucy yet) as well as action movies featuring professional assassins, so I'm probably at least a little biased.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
July 03, 2019, 01:25 PM
sjtill
quote:
1. The movie takes place over the period 1985-1990. I don't recall there being laptops that use USB ports (or what looks like USB thumb drives). While I could be wrong, if I am I'd still have a hard time believing that a down-and-out couple, in a crappy apartment, complaining about their lack of money, would have not only a laptop, but also the Internet in 1980s Moscow.

I’m pretty sure you’re right about this. I lived in Russia 1995-96 and even then you could only get dial-up 64K baud, 128K ISDN appearing in ‘96 in Moscow. Before 1991–forget it. My (pre-Pentium) IBM laptop of the time had no USB port.

Things were changing by leaps and bounds: we saw the first bottles of Heinz Ketchup appear, and the first Procter & Gamble products (which mysteriously resulted in the course of one year the BO on the subways almost disappearing).

July 03, 2019, 01:36 PM
Strambo
I'll probably see it eventually.

What bothers me the most about these types of movies is the absurdity of a 90lb waif of a female striking with her 10lb limbs and throwing men around. Not physically possible and it just looks silly. It is a question of physics not amount of training.

Is it possible for a small female to beat men in H2H combat? Absolutely, just not like that...toe to toe punching and kicking.

I really liked Atomic Blonde. She got tossed around like a rag doll at times & took a real beating, used her environment more and her strikes were more muay thai/MMA style; knees, elbows and stomping kicks with a lot more weight to them targeting weak areas like knees etc.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page