SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    EA/BioWare game "Anthem" is releasing next month:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EA/BioWare game "Anthem" is releasing next month: Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Anthem is an open-world third-person shooter that puts a pilot into one of four different Javelins, exo-suits that can fly, swim, and have a variety of weapons and abilities. Here's the trailer:

https://youtu.be/ZFwylDNpgFc

I've been following this guy's channel for his comprehensive coverage detailing Anthem:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CursedSnacks/videos

I know there are several people who played Destiny. Anthem has the look and feel of that game, but while I didn't play Destiny I'm looking forward to playing this game.

It will be available on PC, XBox One, and Playstation 4. I pre-ordered for PC and have 3 VIP demo invites for this weekend (January 25-27). First three people who post an interest in the demo will get an email from me with the invite code. (Please have a valid email in your profile, of course.)

There is also a second demo weekend which is open to everyone (February 1-3).

inb4EAsux

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have this on preorder. Looks fun

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Looks very intriguing.

I've been a casual player of Destiny and Destiny 2. I used to play CoD and Halo but they fell off my map.

My son (17) told me that I will need to quit Destiny and start Anthem as soon as it comes out. I told him maybe, as I have multiple unfinished quests still in Destiny and Calculus 2 this semester. I don't like leaving quests unfinished.

Then he tells me we also need to get ready for Halo: Infinite later this year.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
And Cyberpunk 2077 next year? LOL

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm currently downloading the preload for Friday's demo. It's 43GBs. There haven't been any official recommended game specs but I've got to think the full game is going to come in at 75GBs, at least.

Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Orguss, I'll take you up on the demo offer for this weekend.

I can only play so much PUBG!

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Thanks Orguss!

I’ll hit you up on Saturday. Long live PC gameing!

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it, Wino!

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Played for a few hours. Since it's a demo, it's pretty limited in missions but it does provide a good selection of things to do and accomplish. One multi-part mission and one instanced dungeon is included in the demo. In town you can interact with several people, customize your loadout and appearance, do some crafting and purchase appearance mods with microtransaction currency provided by the demo.

I played missions both with matchmade groups and solo. You definitely feel like a badass accomplishing missions solo. In-game communication is disabled (or I couldn't figure out how to work it) so being in a group can be frustrating if people don't know how to accomplish mission objectives. Also, group fights can be confusing once people's javelin choices vary from the default version. All the different abilities being thrown around in a fight are visually stunning but also quite disorienting.

I played a tiny bit of the first Destiny and have to say I enjoy this much better. Learning to fly is simple and once mastered gives quite a rush. Flying above a group of mobs and hitting the melee button to smash down and send them flying in all directions is awesome. Casting the ultimate gives a sense of satisfaction when you see the devastation wrought by your javelin.

This is a great game and I look forward to continuing. I still have one invite available, if anyone wants to get in on this before the weekend is over. I neglected to point out that the invitation works for all platforms (XBox, Playstation, and PC). Of course, there is no cross-platform gaming--yet. It's been rumored. Let's hope!

Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Well Saturday started at a local brewery opening party, and ended with a bonfire at a friend's birthday party setting off fireworks too close to my eardrum. I'll start downloading when I stumble out of bed.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Anything Bioware is attached to has promise. Anything EA is attached to, could be shit, or a dead zone not long after release.

If it's great, great. Then EA will find some way to kill it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Played for about an hour late morning.

Controls felt sluggish and the action is more arcade-like that I prefer. Not sure if it'll give it another chance yet.

Orguss, thanks again for the chance to give it a try!

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You're welcome!