SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Flight of the Old Dog by Dale Brown is now on Kindle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flight of the Old Dog by Dale Brown is now on Kindle Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I have been waiting a long time for it. I read this back in the day, man I loved it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I used to be an avid Dale Brown reader but when his Megafortresses gained the ability to single-handedly fight World War 3, I could no longer suspend disbelief. What started as thrillers delved deeply into science fiction.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Yeah I quit reading them too. I forget which book it was where I felt he jumped the shark. But I have always loved flight of the old dog. I was glad to see it as a e-read.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've got an old dog-eared copy that I've read three times over 30 years or so and will probably read it once or twice more before I check out.

It's true that a few aspects of it approach Sci-Fi but it's still an enjoyable fictional combat aviation story at it's heart and based on the writer's military aviation background. It's worth a read.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Flight of the Old Dog was a damn good book, one of his best.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I used to be an avid Dale Brown reader but when his Megafortresses gained the ability to single-handedly fight World War 3, I could no longer suspend disbelief. What started as thrillers delved deeply into science fiction.

Well said. I loved his first few books but noticed that and bailed out after a few more.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. I remember reading Flight of the Old Dog a long time ago and liking it. I might just go and grab the Kindle version.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Bought and read it when it first came out in hardcover. GREAT book!!! Dale Brown and Stephen Coonts are two of my favorite military aviation authors.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I also read it in hardcover when it was first released. Haven't read his stuff in years. Lost interest after the megafortress like Orguss said. Downloading this today.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was one of the first military fiction books I read back when I was probably 12. I've been wanting to go back and re-read some of the stuff from way back and this will help.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
It is a little bitter sweet. I just finished it and I enjoyed it as much today as I did back in the '80's.

I doubt I re-read anymore in the series but you never know.