SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What’s Your Favorite Original Score Movie Sountracks?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s Your Favorite Original Score Movie Sountracks? Login/Join 
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Star Trek II Wrath of Khan

The Living Daylights

Empire of the Sun

Another vote for Tron Legacy

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been listening to a lot of Morricone's work lately. Not sure I'd call it my absolute favorite, but Once Upon a Time in America is right up there.

Two years ago I singled out Platoon as a favorite, but that work isn't really 'original' since it draws on Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. Back then I also hadn't seen Interstellar, which I finally watched for the first time a year ago. Hans Zimmer's soundtrack for that film totally blew me away.

Other notable 'originals' that left a lasting impression:
Terminator 2
Patton
The Untouchables
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Gettysburg
Halloween (1978)
Star Wars (pre "Episode 4" labeling crapola)
The Godfather
Hoosiers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Summer of '42 (kinda schmaltzy but as pubescent teenling that movie holds a special spot in my gray matter...)
The Mission
The Bourne Supremacy

And a couple that used non-original music (but original-for-the-film performances):
'Round Midnight
Whiplash (never seen the movie, only know the music; someday maybe I'll watch it. Or not.)

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I am not talking about movie scores like Top Gun..., – these are conglomerations of other songs by various artists. I am looking for original movie scores.

Unfair! Harold Faltermeyer did the original score for Top Gun! It's pretty slick like most of his stuff.

Whenever I hear his tracks for the Beverly Hills Cop movies, it makes me want to get into a gunfight. Kids raised on modern action movies with their generic sounding scores have no clue.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Would Pink Floyd The Wall fit your criteria?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Favorite? Or most memorable ... ?

Lawrence of Arabia's music. By Maurice-Alexis Jarre . Academy Award for Best Original Score

From Wikipedia:

Maurice-Alexis Jarre was a French composer and conductor. Although he composed several concert works, Jarre is best known for his film scores, particularly for his collaborations with film director David Lean. Jarre composed the scores to all of Lean's films from Lawrence of Arabia (1962) on.

Born: September 13, 1924, 5th arrondissement of Lyon, Lyon, France

Died: March 28, 2009, Malibu, CA

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glory

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Patton, if I had to choose only one.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Particularly the music in the final scene in the cemetery.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blade Runner by Vangelis. I had to wait until 1994 to get it. I've listened to it dozens of times, and I'm seeing it tonight on the big(ish) screen as my brother rented out a local theater (for $100!).

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I go way back to my high school days with his one:

Ben Hur

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Last of the Mohicans
Empire Strikes Back
Robo Cop Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Ben Hur

The nine-minute chariot race has become one of cinema's most famous action sequences, and the score, composed and conducted by Miklós Rózsa, is the longest ever composed for a film, and was highly influential on cinema for over 15 years. - wiki

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
In addition to many others already mentioned, I'll add Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I know this wont resonate with many here, but I'm a HUGE fan of anything Yoko Kano.

- Macross Plus
- Escaflowne
- Cowboy Bebop

To name a few. I'm sure it's because of the things I was going through in my tweens and twenties.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I do not make the laws,
I balance the scales
Picture of RiCoShea
posted Hide Post
Field of Dreams

The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them. -
Lois McMaster Bujold

"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."
--Sam Brown

Posts: 395 | Location: On the corner of "No" and "Where" | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Emerald Forest

Scent of a Woman

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Last of the Mohicans and The Crow

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Silverado, Last of the Mohicans and the Natural

Posts: 655 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy Rider soundtrack

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
@Veeper

The Macross Plus National Anthem moves me to tears. It's just a beautiful piece of music with the opening horn calling all the other instruments to come out and sing their song and by the end it's a crescendo of hope.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post