New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robert Duvall Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
He's pretty good in everything ~ enjoyed him recently in Seven Days in Utopia .

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colors

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Tough to pick just one, but my I'll say Gus in Lonesome Dove. He seems so natural in the role.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Tough to pick just one, but my I'll say Gus in Lonesome Dove. He seems so natural in the role.

I agree. Superb acting.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Gun guy too

The store I used to work at did transfers for him from time to time.

He was always extremely nice and unassuming.

Only secret I will reveal is he definitely has a taste for Colt SAA (shocking given his background, right? Smile )

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Colors

The consummate FTO (Field Training Officer) in "Colors", and I liked him even more as a cynical homicide investigator working the Black Dalia case in "True Confessions." The dialog between his character and that of the priest brother (played by Robert De Niro), was awe inspiring.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I've ever seen someone nail a part the way he did in The Apostle. I know some old broken down country preachers and he is basically perfect in that role.

And of course I like him as Bluebonnet, as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Pretty much good at every role he's played.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An incredible actor and one of my all time favorites

I would have to say:
Second Hand Lions
Colors
Open Range
Days of Thunder
Falling Down

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duvall has a small but important role in Bullitt. He plays a taxi cab driver who helps the detective get a clue. The role has the mannerisms that would make Duvall a star: The quiet intensity, the piercing stare, and the wisdom of someone who has already seen more than you ever will.

Posts: 774 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have not seen some of the more prominent films mentioned, but my 2 favorite Robert Duvall films are Open Range and Assassination Tango.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Detective Prendergast in Falling Down.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
One of his better roles was in The Judge, alongside Robert Downey Jr. I thought he deserved an Oscar for his performance.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
"There's nothing stock...about a stock. car."
"I want you to go out there and hit the pace car!"

Cheesy movie, but I loved his down-home southern character in it...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was in Atlanta Hartsfield Airport, Memorial Day, 1996. I saw this guy about 20 feet away. He had his back to me. I told my girlfriend (soon to be wife) "Hey, that looks just like the back of Robert Duvall's head."
She laughed. The guy turned toward us and walked right at us. It was Robert Duvall. He seemed to be in a hurry, so as he walked past, I said quietly "Mister Duvall."
I could tell he didn't want to be noticed because he smiled and said very quietly out of the corner of his mouth "Hey, how ya doin'?"

It looked like he was trying to catch a connecting flight. I didn't bother him.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
A second on Tender Mercies as well as THX 1138. One of all time favorite actors.

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think his role in Secondhand Lions is my favorite, but I'll stop and watch just about anything he's in.

Anyone remember Let's Get Harry?

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If any of you have not seen Secondhand Lions you are missing out. He and Michael Caine are fantastic together. They truly don't make movies like that very often.

It's the kind of guy movie that you can watch with your wife and kids and they will enjoy it as well.

---------------------------------
P220 FrankenSig
P224 SAS 9mm
P226 Legion 9mm
P227 Suppressor host
P229 German 9mm
P229 SAS 9mm
P229 German 22LR/357/40
P239 9mm
P320 Compact 9mm
P938 "Little Dude"

Posts: 19 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida  | Registered: August 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Too many good choices but I wanted to post this because we see Duvall mostly in variations of his own character, but here he is in The Eagle has Landed, and while we still see his mannerisms, Duvall is more immersed in the character than usual.

Also, if you haven't seen The Seven Percent Solution with Duvall as Dr. Watson, you are missing out.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post