SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What is the first video game you played that was at home (not at an arcade or something public)?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the first video game you played that was at home (not at an arcade or something public)? Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
I just looked this up to see what we actually had because I had no idea what it was and who made it.

I remember my parents got us 3 boys an 'Atari clone'. Turns out it was a National Semiconductor "Adversary" with genuine fake wood trim. Mom and Dad made it a group gift for the family and boy did we wear that thing out between watching football and basketball on holidays. It had color and everything.

These are not my pics, I found them trying to remember what we actually had. The TV looks like every single other TV at the time including ours.
*Edited to add: I just realized I didn't play another video game until 1997 - F-22 Lightning II

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I can’t remember if it was Combat or Pong on my friend’s Atari 2600. Next would’ve been games on an Odyssey system.

The first system my parents bought was an Atari 5200.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Definitely Atari 2600 Combat. Loved "Tank Pong" and "Biplane" on that. Also a huge fan of Adventure and thought it was hilarious that it popped up in Ready Player One.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Combat on the Atari 2600.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
At my own home, atari 2600 combat.
At my buddy's home which I played first (not arcade or public), I want to say it was Intellevision w/ pong and such.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Black and white Pong.

Later moved up to the Atari 2600 and Radio Shack TRS 80

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Pong.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I don’t recall but I remember it was on a cassette tape. Maybe a Commodore 64?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Pong at the neighbors house.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Pong on the small kitchen b&w t.v.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Pong, then moved up to Donkey Kong and River Raid.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Pong, like that posted in OP, but with round knobs attached to the console. Meaning, one of us had to play left-handed (a significant handicap). It was on a black and white tv, which was fine, since Pong was itself black and white.

We had tennis (pictured in OP), hockey, and one other mode, I think.

When the Atari 2600 came along, we thought it was the greatest thing ever created. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Pong at my cousins house. Space Invaders or Asteroids on our home Atari system.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
For game with graphics, probably Star Raiders on Atari. We also played a lot of text adventures, such as Scott Adams Adventures and the Zork series.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Star Raiders was fun because you had do use two controllers. Indy 500 was another game that had a game specific controller. We have the Sears 2600 and almost every 2600 game that was made.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my younger brother got an Atari for christmas

we played pong , and IIRC some type of tank battle game

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The first computer game that I played was “Star Trek”, on a mainframe computer. If your spaceship (the Enterprise) was destroyed you could continue on with the less-capable “Fairy Queen”. Commands were text entered via keyboard. Can’t find a web description of “Star Trek”, but here’s a description of the generally similar “Advanced Star Trek”:

“Advanced Star Trek is a Star Trek variant written for the IBM 370/158 in PL/I. The player controls the enterprise and will encounter Klingons, Romulans and Tholians. Klingons have two different ship types, Romulans are invisible and can follow the player unnoticed. Tholians attack in groups of three and have a web-like tractor beam. Another ship, the Fairy Queen is also available in emergencies.

The player goes hunting for enemies in a galaxy made up out of 10x10 quadrants which are again divided up into 10x10 sectors. The player can also travel through time, but this can have some serious consequences.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Atari

Pong
It had B&W racquet ball, tennis, etc.

Asteroids, Space Invaders, Atari football.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Atari 2600 Pac Man

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pong and PacMan

I was the only kid who didn't have an Atari. We later got a Commodore 64 but, my parents insisted that was for my book reports only Wink

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post