SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rio Lobo or Rio Bravo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rio Lobo or Rio Bravo Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
The lead actor in both movies is the same, the same man directed both movies, the plot is essentially the same. If both were being shown simultaneously, which one would you choose to watch?

Question:
Which movie, of the two, do you prefer?

Choices:
Rio Lobo
Rio Bravo

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo, no contest for me. I love that movie.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that I should have included 'El Dorado' in the equation, since it was the first remake Hawks did of 'Rio Bravo'. And, I've always liked Arthur Hunnicutt.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
El Dorado was a good remake of Rio Bravo. What a great cast, the Duke, Deano, Ricky & "old Rivers" himself. Great western, Rio Bravo, winner.

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/wsnPpt4r7mk [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for bravo , But The sons of katie elder was neck and neck with both of them

John Wayne as John Elder
Dean Martin as Tom Elder
Martha Hyer as Mary Gordon
Michael Anderson, Jr. as Bud Elder
Earl Holliman as Matt Elder
Jeremy Slate as Ben Latta
James Gregory as Morgan Hastings
Paul Fix as Sheriff Billy Wilson
George Kennedy as Curley
Dennis Hopper as Dave Hastings
Sheldon Allman as Harry Evers
John Litel as Minister
John Doucette as Hyselman
James Westerfield as Mr. Vennar
Rhys Williams as Charlie Striker
John Qualen as Charlie Biller
Rodolfo Acosta as Bondie Adams
Strother Martin as Jeb Ross
Percy Helton as Mr. Peevey
Karl Swenson as Doc Isdell

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo...young Angie Dickinson...wow!

Posts: 203 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tdp113530:
Rio Bravo...young Angie Dickinson...wow!

Smoldering hawt.

Posts: 7249 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo. And Angie was hot!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I love Rio Bravo and El Dorado. I'll bet I watch each one at least 3 times a year. I never tire of them. Plus these films have the best looking female characters in a Wayne movie (Feathers and Maudie) Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
the one with James Caan.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Rio Bravo
2. El Dorado
3. Rio Lobo

But as far as female characters, don't forget Joan O'Brien in Comancheros. (even though I dislike the historical inaccuracies in the movie)

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I voted for Rio Bravo, but El Dorado is actually my favorite of the three.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo, hands down. But I can enjoy any John Wayne western, especially from the late fifties through the early seventies.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Since the vote is currently 23 to 1 in favor of Rio Bravo, I guess I'll explain why I'm the odd vote out in favor of Rio Lobo as my preferred movie of the two. It's sentimental. While I agree that Rio Bravo is a somewhat better movie, I prefer watching Rio Lobo due to having seen it first when in elementary school and really liking it. I really liked the characters (especially McNally, Cordona, and Tuscarora despite realizing later that John Wayne was much too old by then to be playing Colonel McNally) and the parts of Lobo that are different than Rio Bravo. However, lovely Shasta, played by the delightful Jennifer O'Neill, was the trump card to me over Angie Dickinson.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo - have the DVD.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are some tough choices. I grew up watching John Wayne movies as my grandfather would watch them and he lived with us for a while. I enjoyed them and to pick one is tough. I went with Rio Bravo but also really liked El Dorado. My favorite though is The Shootist.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo, in addition to the Sheriff, I have always liked Colorado and Stumpy....and Feathers!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo for me.

Posts: 10 | Location: Jamestown, ND USA | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Yep, Rio Bravo for me as well. Followed by Rio Lobo & The Sons of Katie Elder on a lazy Saturday afternoon. Speaking of The Sons of Katie Elder..

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post