SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rio Lobo or Rio Bravo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rio Lobo or Rio Bravo Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo for the win.

I also love El Dorado. Everyone bringing soap for Robert Mitchum cracks me up every time.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
You always should add in Chisum in a discussion like this.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Rio Bravo has Angie Dickinson which is a plus.

However, El Dorado has Michele Carey, and "Joey" looks really nice in leather pants.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptruck:

However, El Dorado has Michele Carey, and "Joey" looks really nice in leather pants.

Charlene Holt was pretty easy on the eyes too.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptruck:

Watching El Dorado with dinner last night and tonight. For me, Joey steals the show for the women in this and the others mentioned. Damn if she isn't a spirited, hot filly; the perfect tomboy/girl next door you always wished you had.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I brought this thread back because of ZZ Top. Yep, I was listening to the album Degüello today. Did you know that the theme song to the movie Rio Bravo is the bugle call “El Degüello?” The bugle call meant “no quarter,” and was given to Santa Anna’s army at the Alamo. Literal translation is something like “slit the throat.” In the movie, the bugle call is transformed into an orchestral arrangement by Dimitri Tiomkin.
Deguello

Rio Bravo Theme

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Doesn't one of the characters mention something about that during the movie, when they're holed up in the jail?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
^^^Doesn't one of the characters mention something about that during the movie, when they're holed up in the jail?

Yes, Ricky Nelson's character (Colorado) explains it after John Wayne's character (Sheriff John T. Chance) inquires as to the strange tune that was being played at Nathan Burdett's saloon all day and night. Colorado calls it "The Deguello song" and what the Mexicans played before they over ran the Alamo.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig239dlehr:
quote:

Yes, Ricky Nelson's character (Colorado) explains it after John Wayne's character (Sheriff John T. Chance) inquires as to the strange tune that was being played at Nathan Burdett's saloon all day and night. Colorado calls it "The Deguello song" and what the Mexicans played before they over ran the Alamo.

I forgot to add... I love that album from ZZ Top! It came out during my senior year of high school/freshman year of college and brings back lots of memories!

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I forgot to add... I love that album from ZZ Top! It came out during my senior year of high school/freshman year of college and brings back lots of memories!

Me too! I’ve spent the last couple years trying to learn Blues guitar. I spent a couple hours yesterday on “Fool for Your Stockings.” I’m betting that quite a few members who think they know ZZ Top aren’t familiar with this one. I sure haven’t learned it yet, but it’s great fun trying.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE
Me too! I’ve spent the last couple years trying to learn Blues guitar. I spent a couple hours yesterday on “Fool for Your Stockings.” I’m betting that quite a few members who think they know ZZ Top aren’t familiar with this one. I sure haven’t learned it yet, but it’s great fun trying.[/QUOTE]

Have you searched YouTube for any instruction videos of the song? I have found almost anything I've looked for there.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have amals.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Wow, talk about your zombie threads! Eek Wink

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Fool For Your Stockings" is a hidden gem among ZZTop songs. It has such a hypnotic rhythm that I would listen to it in my dorm room after a long night of studying for a big test. That beat would relax me enough to let me nod off to sleep. I always felt that "I Need You Tonight" from The Eliminator album was a follow up to "Fool For Your Stockings".

But getting back to the original theme of this thread...
I would put Rio Bravo up near the top of John Wayne Westerns, just below The Searchers, but on par with She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and True Grit. While enjoy Rio Lobo, it is several notches below this group. I actually like El Dorado much more than Rio Lobo and think that it has more parallel story lines with Rio Bravo. But, that is just this John Wayne fan's humble opinion!

posted Hide Post
I voted Rio Lobo but meant El Dorado. Love Robert Mitchums' character. Second would be Rio Lobo Jennifer O'Neill is so hot.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
I can watch any of them, but Rio Bravo is definitely the best one.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely Rio Bravo. I am a big John Wayne fan, and Rio Bravo is one of my favorites.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Why did they make the same movie 3 times? I always wondered.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Let’s make some music Colorado

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Interestingly, both Arthur Hunicutt and John Wayne heard The Deguelo in other movies - in which each played Davy Crocket! John Wayne in "The Alamo" and Arthur Hunicutt in "The Last Command." ("They'll eat snakes 'fore they get in here, Jim!")

Posts: 631 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post