SIGforum
Rio Lobo or Rio Bravo

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3410039524

June 18, 2017, 11:37 AM
clubleaf206
Rio Lobo or Rio Bravo
The lead actor in both movies is the same, the same man directed both movies, the plot is essentially the same. If both were being shown simultaneously, which one would you choose to watch?Which movie, of the two, do you prefer?Rio LoboRio Bravo

June 18, 2017, 11:42 AM
parabellum
Rio Bravo, no contest for me. I love that movie.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
June 18, 2017, 12:09 PM
clubleaf206
I'm thinking that I should have included 'El Dorado' in the equation, since it was the first remake Hawks did of 'Rio Bravo'. And, I've always liked Arthur Hunnicutt.

June 18, 2017, 12:13 PM
recoatlift
El Dorado was a good remake of Rio Bravo. What a great cast, the Duke, Deano, Ricky & "old Rivers" himself. Great western, Rio Bravo, winner.

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/wsnPpt4r7mk [/FLASH_VIDEO]
June 18, 2017, 12:38 PM
bendable
I voted for bravo , But The sons of katie elder was neck and neck with both of them

John Wayne as John Elder
Dean Martin as Tom Elder
Martha Hyer as Mary Gordon
Michael Anderson, Jr. as Bud Elder
Earl Holliman as Matt Elder
Jeremy Slate as Ben Latta
James Gregory as Morgan Hastings
Paul Fix as Sheriff Billy Wilson
George Kennedy as Curley
Dennis Hopper as Dave Hastings
Sheldon Allman as Harry Evers
John Litel as Minister
John Doucette as Hyselman
James Westerfield as Mr. Vennar
Rhys Williams as Charlie Striker
John Qualen as Charlie Biller
Rodolfo Acosta as Bondie Adams
Strother Martin as Jeb Ross
Percy Helton as Mr. Peevey
Karl Swenson as Doc Isdell

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
June 18, 2017, 01:19 PM
tdp113530
Rio Bravo...young Angie Dickinson...wow!
June 18, 2017, 01:49 PM
83v45magna
quote:
Originally posted by tdp113530:
Rio Bravo...young Angie Dickinson...wow!

Smoldering hawt.

June 18, 2017, 02:48 PM
YooperSigs
Rio Bravo. And Angie was hot!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
June 18, 2017, 06:17 PM
oddball
I love Rio Bravo and El Dorado. I'll bet I watch each one at least 3 times a year. I never tire of them. Plus these films have the best looking female characters in a Wayne movie (Feathers and Maudie) Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
June 18, 2017, 06:37 PM
Rolan_Kraps
the one with James Caan.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
June 18, 2017, 07:21 PM
NavyAgShooter
1. Rio Bravo
2. El Dorado
3. Rio Lobo

But as far as female characters, don't forget Joan O'Brien in Comancheros. (even though I dislike the historical inaccuracies in the movie)
June 18, 2017, 08:32 PM
Expert308
I voted for Rio Bravo, but El Dorado is actually my favorite of the three.
June 18, 2017, 08:55 PM
wolfe 21
Rio Bravo

A Perpetual Disappointment...
June 18, 2017, 09:46 PM
amals
Rio Bravo, hands down. But I can enjoy any John Wayne western, especially from the late fifties through the early seventies.
June 19, 2017, 12:34 AM
StarTraveler
Since the vote is currently 23 to 1 in favor of Rio Bravo, I guess I'll explain why I'm the odd vote out in favor of Rio Lobo as my preferred movie of the two. It's sentimental. While I agree that Rio Bravo is a somewhat better movie, I prefer watching Rio Lobo due to having seen it first when in elementary school and really liking it. I really liked the characters (especially McNally, Cordona, and Tuscarora despite realizing later that John Wayne was much too old by then to be playing Colonel McNally) and the parts of Lobo that are different than Rio Bravo. However, lovely Shasta, played by the delightful Jennifer O'Neill, was the trump card to me over Angie Dickinson.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca
June 19, 2017, 04:11 PM
icom706
Rio Bravo - have the DVD.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician
June 21, 2017, 09:29 PM
patw
Those are some tough choices. I grew up watching John Wayne movies as my grandfather would watch them and he lived with us for a while. I enjoyed them and to pick one is tough. I went with Rio Bravo but also really liked El Dorado. My favorite though is The Shootist.
June 22, 2017, 07:48 AM
2012BOSS302
Rio Bravo, in addition to the Sheriff, I have always liked Colorado and Stumpy....and Feathers!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
June 22, 2017, 08:35 AM
huntin1
Rio Bravo for me.
June 24, 2017, 06:50 AM
Cliff
Yep, Rio Bravo for me as well. Followed by Rio Lobo & The Sons of Katie Elder on a lazy Saturday afternoon. Speaking of The Sons of Katie Elder..

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones