SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    what feeder do you use for the Orioles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what feeder do you use for the Orioles? Login/Join 
posted
I've tried three different home made jobs.
( jar lids on a board )
and the like.

we have them , in the area, other people in the county have up to a dozen of them for most of the summer.

we get them for 4-5 days and then they take off

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Hanging curveball seems to be what they like best. (Provided they know it's going to be served up of course.) SO as long as the feeder can serve those up, you should see lots of positive results. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and do you throw the whole kitchen at them ?
Orange halves, grape jelly, meal worms and nectar?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I just use a nectar feeder, doubles for the Hummingbirds. I have it near where they nest in my Fan Palms. We have the Bullock Orioles, beautiful but skittish.

https://www.amazon.com/First-N...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I use a simple tray with grape jelly. They love it. Had them most of last summer.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife spotted a Baltimore Oriole at our back yard feeder today, first time ever!

For those of you in Rio Linda, it's a bird, not a professional baseball team. Smile

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Steroids. They need more steroids. (Well, maybe except tonight's game).....

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
The Tampa Bay Rays will suffice for the next four days

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Esskay hot dogs, Boog Powell's BBQ and National Bohemian beer should work.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Esskay hot dogs, Boog Powell's BBQ and National Bohemian beer should work.

First two yes, last one yuck.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
it's Baltimore. feed em crab cakes

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Orioles eat insects, especially tent caterpillars, and will eat live mealworms offered in a birdfeeder. Orioles will lap up nectar, but because of the size of their bill, it needs to be in a specialty oriole feeder that has ports bigger than those on a hummingbird feeder.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post