SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Band of Brothers—Bastogne
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Band of Brothers—Bastogne Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Watching Band of Brothers yet again. Today I was really struck by the 6th episode, “Bastogne.” Everything about it was powerful, beginning with the narratives of the surviving members of Easy Co. at the beginning. I especially remembered JB Stokes who said: “Even today, on a real cold night,” my wife will tell you that I say, “man, I’m glad I’m not in Bastogne.”

The focus of the story is the character played by Shane Taylor, medic, Cpl. Eugene Roe. God he was good in this episode. Then there was the member of Easy with trench foot, who refused to come off the line. The beautiful French nurse, killed at the end of the episode, and Cpl. Roe tearing the nurse’s scarf to use for a bandage, after staring at it for a moment or two.

It was just great. The whole miniseries is as good as television gets, but that episode stands out for me.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That is one of my favorite episodes as well. My wife and I just watched the series again last spring.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Every kid, male or female, that's headed to college should watch that entire show to counteract the crap they are about to be exposed to in school.
That might be the only history they learn but there are a number of important lessons there.
The later episode when they discover the concentration camp and see the local Germans that claim they didn't know is a good lesson too. Also, they get to see what a real concentration camp is about.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It should be watched from the 6th grade on. That and the beginning of Saving Private Ryan...the landing on the beach scene. Maybe it would wake these idiot kids up. Unfortunately, this country's history is going down the garbage disposal fast. Mad

To the OP...I can hear Mr. Stokes' voice in my head reading what you typed. Just amazing men and women of that era...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It should be watched from the 6th grade on. That and the beginning of Saving Private Ryan...the landing on the beach scene..

No, can't do that. Those kids would be traumatized and would never leave their "Safe Space".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I watch that whole series about once a year.

I haven't re-read the book in awhile but maybe this fall I will.

I originally read them before the series and they did amazing work getting it right.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Every kid, male or female, that's headed to college should watch that entire show to counteract the crap they are about to be exposed to in school.
That might be the only history they learn but there are a number of important lessons there.
The later episode when they discover the concentration camp and see the local Germans that claim they didn't know is a good lesson too. Also, they get to see what a real concentration camp is about.

I watched it with my middle son years ago. Plan the same for my daughter at a later date.

Posts: 7520 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I met a guy today from the 101st Airborne Division, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, H Company (BoB was focused on Easy Company). I don't know when he joined the group, but he was at Bastogne.

I asked him how accurate BoB was, and he said the vets and he think Hollywood played fast and loose with the facts and added a bunch of romantic BS. He also said Lt Soebel wasn't that bad. He said Soebel was tough, and trained his men hard, but it was war, not a dinner party. He said both the mini series and the book were 'commercial enterprises' and were both too hard on Soebel.

Still, BoB is the best WWII movie (or equivalent) I've seen made in the past 40 years, and I think it was excellent overall.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Siegel wasnt booted because he was hard on his men, he was booted because he sucked in the field.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post