Find
Notify
Tools

Black Panther Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
AND, this is why I don't go see first run movies until they've been out for at least a month and only after 10pm, thus insuring no kids and very few idiots.

The film showing was 10:50pm. You can wait a week, or a month, doesn’t matter, same things happen. Been there and done that. It’s the type of film. It attracts mainstreamers (mouth breathers). They’re dumb and complete narcissists.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
Just saw it in the theater. I give it a 6.5/10. I didn't get any political vibes. The bad guy's threat of arming their wardogs to fight the world is right up there with some other villain who wants to use weapons or power to destroy the system. No one ever accused Loki, Agent Smith or Apollo of pushing a subliminal racist or political message. The ironic thing is that the most of the fighting/violence in the movie is black on black. But is it ironic? It's a movie about blacks in Africa so who were they going to fight besides the one white guy? The winter snow? Was Braveheart about white on white violence, racism against the English or homophobia? It sure wasn't a historical documentary. Good golly I believe they intentionally tried to keep the racist angle out of it and yet some people will still see what they want to see.

They pushed a lot of African colors, designs, music and culture... because it's in AFRICA!!! I've seen more "white" movies downright lying about facts to push a political agenda. This movie could have been used as propaganda yet they didn't and I feel like it was simply another action/superhero movie set in Africa with a lot of black people cast.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
97% rating, $100 mil+ opening. Yeah, terrible movie and casting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was good. The only questionable casting some of us had, was one lone actor. Get over it.

763 mil as of today. It will hit 1 billion.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Saw it today with my two boys. It was okay but I didn’t think it was amazing or anything and I’ve seen every Marvel movie to date. But it sure is selling well. The theatre I was at was completely full at a 1:40 pm matinee showing. I probably would have waited for this to hit Netflix but it was $4 bucks a ticket. But I was more pumped seeing the trailer for Venom with Tom Hardy. And more excited to see Deadpool 2 than Black Panther.

Right now, these Marvel movies can do no wrong. Even Antman and The Wasp will do well, even with two of the least known minor superheroes.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night and I think I agree with the general sentiment here. It was fine, I dont love it I dont hate it. I'm glad the political BS came only really from the bad guy though it would have been great if T'Challa leaned over and told him to put it back in the deck during his final scene.

I would have liked them to put more effort into developing T'Challa as hes likeable but less fleshed out than those around him. In fairness, I didnt like Thor until Avengers and somewhere between Dark World and Ragnarok. I also think they could have had some more humor in it. Worth a watch 6 maybe 6.5/10.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
97% rating, $100 mil+ opening. Yeah, terrible movie and casting.
By that measure, this stinking mound of dung is the greatest film of all time.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Why didn't Black Panther ask his new buddy Captain America to whoop Killmonger's ass? He would've made short work of that guy.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Saw it today with my son, it was pretty good.

Granted you have to like Marvel superhero movies, this is no different than any of the rest, just they are all black in this one.

Yeah the bad guy was about rising up and leading all the blacks in the world to take over, but it wasn't too over the top with his bullshit. I don't know why he didn't go get Winter Soldier to help, he can kick some ass, and would have helped.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Para didn’t like “Dances with Smurphs”. No culture I tell ya. Smile

It’s funny because I like bad movies. I enjoy them immensely. I however know the difference between a good and bad movie.

A couple years back another friend and I got to arguing over Armageddon. Now in almost every artistic sense this is a horrible movie. It’s totally ok to love it but it’s not art by any stretch. Well myself and another were trying to get this point across and friend three kept saying “ITS A GREAT MOVIE. IT MADE X BAZILLION DOLLARS”. trying to explain that that doesn’t make it a great movie was futile.

I liked Dances With Smurphs fine for what it was. A pretty/splody sci fi flick. It was however far from a great movie.

One can enjoy a movie yet still understand it’s not a great movie. One can see and acknowledge a GREAT movie but also have it not be that pleasant or enjoyable. It’s a rare movie that scratches all itches.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
A great bad movie that I’ll watch anytime I come across it... Con Air.

Come to think of it, Nic Cage is the good/bad movie superstar.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
I thought it was good. I liked the civil war aspect. it was interesting how wakandan fighters who did not drink the purple juice held their own quite well against those who did.

Gollum's accent moving from british to south African and back and then back to south African was funny.

And yes, killmonger's hair was a bit annoying but I don't think it was the actor's choice. and I liked his badassery

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just watched this. I'm not sure what all the hype was about. The story was just ok.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Saw this last night. I thought it was okay (in the better side of okay) but the poor acting and some not so good CGI really detracted from it. Really liked the storyline.

For me, the first 1/3 - 1/2 would get about 3 stars (out of 5) with the last 1/3 about 4.5 stars. The middle part would get a "do I really want to sit here and take a chance when I could be doing something else?" review.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:
I saw it the first weekend it was out.
I will say I went in biased looking for things to criticize. Figuring it was a Hate Whitey movie. In that regard it didn't disappoint but to a lesser degree than I expected. Then it actually portrayed one of the "tribes" as decedents of apes and barely smarter as well...that would have pissed me off if I was black.. Then again portraying people divided on any level creates income.
I would rate it at a solid 5-6 it was to me visually entertaining but very predictable but duh its a comic... I was pleased that there were less things to criticize than I thought there would be. To assholes from Iran were playing with their phone and talking Farsi. Throughout the movie... a few seats away... The movie was packed otherwise I'd of moved to another seat. That could also have contributed to my less than enjoyable time with this movie to be fair. My Daughter and her husband are in to comics and really enjoyed the movie. They went in to be entertained and they were.. Perhaps its a generational thing.. I'm an old bastard and have less tolerance than I use to for things and people.
I would have rather purchased a box of 9mm for the price of a ticket and went to the range.

Totally agreed it felt like they hated while people calling them colonizer...I guess other black people can get into wakanda but white peoples aren’t. I did like the cultural and language/ascent input, the costuowere great too.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it yesterday. It did not have the political overtones to the level I thought. It did have some. What galled me was:

OMG we have all this awesome tech for thousands of years and we fight like we were a bunch of tribal hooligans from the 9th century BCE in the age of hereos. Tactics revolve around kicking and punching with a 6 foot long war club. FFS. total crap. Visually appealing yes.

4.5 out of 10

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post