Tools

Black Panther Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
To be fair, I'm passing on the new Ant Man, as well.

I still haven't seen the first Antman, guardians 1 & 2, the last couple of Spider-Man movies, and maybe a couple more. I like the Captain America and iron man movies best. But I've been disappointed more than once because they way over the top with cgi. Use more of the budget on writing and less on special effects.

Ant Man is a good watch at home on disc. Guardians 1 is excellent, the second one I thought was shit. This last Spider-Man reboot was also terrible except for the Love interest in it. She is a beauty, 27 years old, playing 16 or 17 y o.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I really don't have a problem with the 'affluent/successful African country' thing. It's not really THAT much of a stretch. This movie takes place in an alternate timeline (their WWII had Red Skull, for example), so things are bound to be different.

It would just take a strategic mineral/metal reserve (thinking something similar to the diamonds in modern-day South Africa) and a government led by benevolent and selfless leaders (that last one is the biggest stretch, considering the state of our Africa, I know)...

I look forward to seeing it. Looks interesting.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Look, it's another movie from a comic book. How much realism do you expect?

Any media that isn't a documentary with its sources cited and verified is just entertainment right?

This is one more ice cream sunday for your eyes and brain. Nothing wrong with that once in a while.

Me, I'll wait for the Directv rental. Only because I hate buying movie tickets and theater popcorn now that I've become my dad.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
holy crap. Some touchy people here. My thought process on making that comment was based on an interview I watched a few years back on Marvel comics that stan lee did. He specifically talked about why he and Marvel brought on BP and the revisionist history of his African home. It was don primarily to bring in young Black male readers. Nothing wrong with that. My issue stems from the way, and the revisionist history was used to foment some racial issues at the time. I watched his appearance in the last Avengers, and in the most recent trailer and it struck me as more of the same Revisionist SJW crap.

I will skip this,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know how female comic superheroes manage to keep their figures from busting (pun intended) out of their catsuits. Is that a superpower?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody see it yet? Better not say anything negative lest ye be labeled a racist.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll wait for redbox or Netflix but will definitely watch it. The theater is expensive and you never know what the crowd will be like and I know the popcorn is good at my house.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just back from seeing it. Being a fictitious superhero movie, I don’t feel the need to question why a country in Africa is able to do all this....
At any rate, I really enjoyed the movie. Good action, interesting sorry, even a few laughs. I recommend it. Of course, if you’re one who tends to nit pick your fiction, you’ll absolutely find stuff to hate it over.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:

I'm very interested to know how a country in Africa is the most technologically advanced in the world. Would make sense if it took an infinity stone to get them there.

It is a comic. It doesn't have to match reality. Remember, there is a flying guy in a black suit.

It could be preachy, but I think Marvel is smarter than that. They are very good at making exciting action flicks, and I bet they will stick with it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cazio:
I'll wait for redbox or Netflix but will definitely watch it. The theater is expensive and you never know what the crowd will be like and I know the popcorn is good at my house.

My local theater is $5 before noon. Being a retired guy with free mornings, well....

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
My local theater is $5 before noon. Being a retired guy with free mornings, well....

I guess theaters still do this. Projectors use a lot of juice so for non-peak time showings, they'll throttle the projectors back. On movies with a lot of dark scenes, it can be a serious drawback. I used to go to a theater that had dollar showings for movies just out of main runs but before the videos were available. Those dark showings stopped me from doing that.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:

I guess theaters still do this. Projectors use a lot of juice so for non-peak time showings, they'll throttle the projectors back. On movies with a lot of dark scenes, it can be a serious drawback. I used to go to a theater that had dollar showings for movies just out of main runs but before the videos were available. Those dark showings stopped me from doing that.

Yeah, we don't have this problem.

posted Hide Post
The trailers for this have not really excited me at all. Part of it was the crap music that they were blasting during the ads, the rest being that I just dont care about a second tier character enough to warrant spending the time and money to see this in the theater and nothing shown in the trailers changed that opinion. Black Panther wasn't anything special in Civil War, either. I'll check it out on video.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gonna wait til video. Not if Luke Cage goes from Netflix to BIGscreen... IN Smile

Posts: 106 | Registered: September 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Like Cage was awesome. The music, the acting, the vibe. I loved it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it and I really enjoyed it. It was well done visually and I liked the acting. I think they took a lot of the lessons from previous Marvel movies and applied them. For example, they didn't go over the top on jokes. The jokes were good, well placed, but didn't turn the movie into a parody or comedy.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
I saw it today. I thought it was extremely passive racism, or reverse racism I
Guess. They continually referenced how their people (black people) were and are oppressed, referring to a white guy as a colonizer. Just really crap and I generally like all marvel movies.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
...It could be preachy, but I think Marvel is smarter than that...

And you'd be a little bit wrong there. It wasn't too bad, but it was definitely there. The old "white people stole everything" trope.

Overall, I enjoyed it, even with that.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
...It could be preachy, but I think Marvel is smarter than that...

And you'd be a little bit wrong there. It wasn't too bad, but it was definitely there. The old "white people stole everything" trope.

Overall, I enjoyed it, even with that.

Too bad.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I'd like to know how female comic superheroes manage to keep their figures from busting (pun intended) out of their catsuits.

I'd pay to see that!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post