SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Papillon (the movie) Fans - Any Here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Papillon (the movie) Fans - Any Here? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
I am.

As a kid I saw it and really impressed by the boobage, as a sailor I was impressed by the azure color of the open ocean (movie) and the story (in the book).

Watching it again tonight I was trying to explain to lé wife how accurate the ocean's color (azure) in the beginning really is.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen it in forever, but I recall really liking it when I did.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I'm a fan. Great movie.

Been a while since I've seen it and don't remember the boobage. I'll have to refresh my memory with the battle cry - Remember the Boobage!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its in my top 20

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Oh yeah, I'm a fan. Great movie.

Been a while since I've seen it and don't remember the boobage. I'll have to refresh my memory with the battle cry - Remember the Boobage!

After Steve McQueen gives Victor Jory, the tribal chief, a tattoo, the topless native girl goes off into the jungle with him.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I loved the book (read it multiple times) and the original 1973 movie. I see the remake was released in September. Anyone seen it yet?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Around 1990 I went as Papillon for Halloween. My girlfriend went as a sexy bag of coconuts (she made it work) alas, no picture.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I loved the book (read it multiple times)

Same here. It's an amazing story and a really good book.
I thought the movie was good, but didn't feel it did justice to the book.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Yes, read the book.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The Papillon story is fiction.

While Henri Charrierre was a prisoner at St. Lauerent, there is scant evidence the Papillon story is that of any real transportee, much less his.

If you want a true story of a bagnard, read Dry Guillotine by Renée Belbenoît. You'll see pieces of the Papillion story, but told by the bloke who lived it.

As for the movie, it is a great watch, but pure fiction, save for the fact the prison was as bad as the Soviet Gulag.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Both the book and the original movie. Don't care how accurate or true to facts; liked them anyway. But I would be interested to read more, as suggested by Sig2340.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

I had seen parts of Papillon on TV, as a kid, and quiet honestly didn't get it and really didn't like it. So, knowing it was a classic, I checked out a special edition DVD version a couple months ago, and enjoyed the movie much more as an adult. Having said that I did question just how accurate the movie was. It struck me as being possible enough while on Devils Island, but once the escapees got off the island the events that followed seemed...improbable.

For what its worth, the special features on the DVD I watched had a making of Papillon segment, and apparently Charrierre was a consultant on the movie, right down to the butterfly tattooed on his chest. They definitely promoted the movie as an accurate portrayal of the story, whether true or not, but it wouldn't be the first time that Hollywood over-hyped a movie at the expense of truth.

They filmed the movie in the remains of the actual Devils Island prison.

Fiction or not, the performances and the story make the movie worth seeing in my opinion.

edited: to remove possible spoilers for those who have't seen the movie

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:

While Henri Charrierre was a prisoner at St. Lauerent, there is scant evidence the Papillon story is that of any real transportee, much less his.

Fiction? Charrierre claims the book is a true account of his experience in the clutches of the French penal system.

Has that been debunked?

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I watched it right after this thread came up, it’s on YouTube.

Wow. What a movie.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I watched it right after this thread came up, it’s on YouTube.

Wow. What a movie.

I'm frequently surprised by what movies I can find on You Tube. I recently watched the original Monty Walsh with Lee Marvin and Jack Palance on YT.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:

Fiction? Charrierre claims the book is a true account of his experience in the clutches of the French penal system.

Has that been debunked?

FWIW: Wikipedia

In jail he wrote the famous novel Papillon, mostly fiction but partly a memoir of his incarceration in and escape from a penal colony in French Guiana. While Charrière claimed that Papillon was largely true, modern researchers believe that much of the book’s material came from other inmates, rather than Charrière himself....

As a teen with a lot of sailing experience, my 17th summer I wanted to sail my 18' Thistle down the Atlantic seaboard to Trinidad.

Thankfully, the adults in my life said "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?"

Had they not, I might not have made it to wrecking car, motorcycle, car, motorcycle, and mountaineering accident by age 24.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post