Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seinfeld Finale Login/Join 
posted
What did you think of the Seinfeld finale. Saw an interview with Jason Alexander the other night and he was asked his opinion . He sort of hemmed and hawed. It seems fashionable to criticize it but I think it has worn well over time, particularly they way they utilized characters from previous classic episodes. It has to be one of the great sitcoms of all time if not THE greatest, especially compared to current fare.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I watched 15 minutes of that show once. Only reason it was that long is someone kept promising it'd get better.

He lied.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Seinfeld, but I hated the finale. It seemed to me that it would have made a good episode (making fun of the fat guy) but they took that good episode and made a two hour finale out of it. They could have done it much better IMO.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Love Seinfeld. I was too young to appreciate it when it was on, but I always watch reruns.

The finale was ok. Sorta meh, but ok.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
At first watch I hated it. Second watch hated it. Third time tolerated it. Fourth time.... you get where I'm going. I've watched the series start to finish at least a half dozen times. Personally I think how it ended was perfect Seinfeld. Just as mentioned by another post, it was like just another episode, and I think that was perfect. Them ending up in jail was I think a metaphor for who the characters were, seriously some of the worst types of selfish, self centered and petty people. I don't think the show is for everybody, nor do I think it's the greatest sitcom "ever" but the humor of it resonated with me. The wife and I got the complete series as a wedding gift and we'd watch three or four episodes a night. We quote Seinfeld regularly and it's part of our lives. So yeah, I like the final episode. Giddy up!

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Nearly every day something will happen that makes me think of a Seinfeld episode.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I watched 15 minutes of that show once. Only reason it was that long is someone kept promising it'd get better.

He lied.

He forgot to tell you it'd get better after Season 2. Eek
Seriously, the first 2 seasons were forgettable, especially Season 1. Seinfeld was so stiff, uncomfortable, and unnatural it was written all over his face. The show was unfunny the first 2 seasons.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The final episode was just plain silly. I get what they where trying to get across... that they were all insensitive, egotistical, narcissistic ass holes, which of course they were pretty much throughout the series, but they took it too far in the finale.

Still, the series stands as a classic but I get it that not everyone liked it. There are quite a few sitcoms that were all the rave like Friends, and Three's Company which I never got into.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

He lied.

What! Seinfeld was an awesome show.

Let me guess, you hated Breaking Bad too, you Commie Big Grin

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It took me a couple of watchings to realize the reference to "the second button" on George's shirt in the finale. As for the finale itself...wasn't a big fan of how they wrapped things up.

GarandGuy pretty much summed up my approach/summation of the show. Not the greatest sitcom ever, but certainly in the top 5. My friends and I throw out quotes all the time in a crowd of people and just give each other a look when others don't get the reference.

Yeah...the first season or two was brutal from an acting perspective (thought Kramer was a total tool, personally), but it's one of those shows that will last forever as a cult with those that appreciated the humor, thus the cult-following.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
As you might guess from my signature line, I'm a "Seinfeld" fan. Not a big fan of the final episode. That said, I have no idea how I'd have brought that series to a close.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the impression that prior to writing the last episode , they all agreed that

Hey , we gave you seven exceptional seasons of watchable tv, ,we're gettin out of here before lunch today, and you will like it!

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I never did get into this show. I will stipulate that it is one of televisions best. I have just reached a saturation point with all types of shows that feature the New York City culture and idiosyncrasies.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of the show and pretty much everything else Jerry Seinfeld has done.

The finale has grown on me, I now think it was a good send off. Also ties it back to the beginning of the show.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
couldn't stand Seinfeld - never thought he was at all funny, and Jason Alexander - just a short putz. Julia Whatzerhame was just plain annoying - sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard...

never made it through a single episode

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I loved Seinfeld during it's initial run, but is it my all-time favorite? Nope. I don't watch reruns of it, but I'll still watch I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show, my two favorite sit-coms.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading some of the comments, I feel I should have sub-titled this, "Is it possible to not like Seinfeld and still have a sense of humor?"

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
After reading some of the comments, I feel I should have sub-titled this, "Is it possible to not like Seinfeld and still have a sense of humor?"

No, it is not.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I love Jerry Seinfeld's stand up, but despise the show. I'm stuck having to watch reruns at work and the only thing I have to look forward is how 4 worthless people are going to screw themselves over by being themselves. As such, I like the finale a lot because they were all sent to prison.

Posts: 4165 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I love Jerry Seinfeld's stand up, but despise the show.

Interesting. I think he's a pretty poor to average stand up, but the show is a hoot. Curious who's in the majority on this one.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post