SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Uh Oh, John Wick 3 is out next May!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uh Oh, John Wick 3 is out next May! Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'd forgotten about this thread.

JW3, Parabellum, was on the list of movies offered on our flight to Europe. So I broke in my new noise-cancelling, over-the-ear headphones watching it. I figured it couldn't be worse than JW2.

The good news is the headhphones worked great!

The bad news is I was wrong about how bad the movie could be. JW3 sucked so badly I nearly quit watching it about 3/4 of the way through. I had this irrational hope that it would eventually have some acting. Some plot development that actually made sense. Some... something other than endless gratuitous bloodshed and killing.

My wife later asked me how it was. I told her she's lucky she hasn't seen it. "Remember how bad JW2 was?" I asked her. "Yeah," she replied. "JW3 is worse. Much worse." "Oh, never mind, then."

On a scale of 1-5 the most I'd give it is a 2, and that's being generous.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
The dominant media is no more "mainstream" than leftists are liberals.

Posts: 16434 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
what acting were you looking for?

It's John Wick... They killed his dog so he shoots people in the face for 90 minutes. This isn't a deep nuanced role or mystery thriller. Kind of like seeing Downton Abby and wondering where the action and chase scenes are.

He kills people. With pencils. And books. And horses. Repeat.

- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"

Posts: 9193 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

You really have to wonder about people watching Wick 1, 2, 3, Die Hard 1,2,3,4, and expecting some kind of level 5 conversion of the story line. Did they all watch The Bridges of Madison County and wonder if Eastwood was going to "make someones day" and pull out his 44....

It's wick fer christsakes, he wears black suits, and killifies everything, occasionally says "yeah", "be seeing you", "I'm Back", "Winston", "I need a gun"...

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 13948 | Location: FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm bumping this thread. Reluctantly.

Like ensigmatic, above, JW3 was offered on a flight recently, so I plugged in. The good news is that the flight was over very quickly. The bad news is that the movie wasn't.

John Wick has morphed into a cartoon superhero. He can be shot and stabbed, and despite blood loss and muscle and tendon damage, can perform his kung fu antics with aplomb. The heavies are now a mystical band of foreigners that are seemingly everywhere, but can't shoot straight. There is no "underworld" except in dark night clubs and middle eastern casbahs, yet the underworld baddies are everywhere. Even the homeless bum sports a $!0K watch, a Dan Wesson 1911 and a $1K cell phone. Give me a break.

There is such a thing in the movies as "suspension of disbelief," but in this case, the producers of JW3 have gone too far. I hope there isn't a JW4.

Don't believe everything you think.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 1855 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I guess I'm bumping this thread. Reluctantly.

Like ensigmatic, above, JW3 was offered on a flight recently, so I plugged in. The good news is that the flight was over very quickly. The bad news is that the movie wasn't.

John Wick has morphed into a cartoon superhero. He can be shot and stabbed, and despite blood loss and muscle and tendon damage, can perform his kung fu antics with aplomb. The heavies are now a mystical band of foreigners that are seemingly everywhere, but can't shoot straight. There is no "underworld" except in dark night clubs and middle eastern casbahs, yet the underworld baddies are everywhere. Even the homeless bum sports a $!0K watch, a Dan Wesson 1911 and a $1K cell phone. Give me a break.

There is such a thing in the movies as "suspension of disbelief," but in this case, the producers of JW3 have gone too far. I hope there isn't a JW4.

Sorry... But JW4 is announced and there are even rumors of JW5.

Also there's been an HBO show announced too, and a prequel about the Ballerinas

- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"

Posts: 9193 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is such a thing in the movies as "suspension of disbelief," but in this case, the producers of JW3 have gone too far.

Way too far.

quote:
I hope there isn't a JW4.

I don't care. Unless JW4 gets back to some semblance of something with a script, plot, something other than endless fight scenes and shoot-em-up, and something resembling acting: I won't be bothering with it.

JW3, for me, got to the point of continuing to watch it more to see if there was anything in it, any part worth my time, than anything else. At the end it was "Thank God that's over."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
The dominant media is no more "mainstream" than leftists are liberals.

Posts: 16434 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

It's John Wick... They killed his dog so he shoots people in the face for 90 minutes. This isn't a deep nuanced role or mystery thriller. Kind of like seeing Downton Abby and wondering where the action and chase scenes are.

He kills people. With pencils. And books. And horses. Repeat.

Ya know, I'm not Siskel or Ebert but I liked the movie.
As sequels develop they generally don't live up to the originals but I will watch JW4 nonetheless.

Cool

Posts: 17269 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to see it for what it is worth, man against the world. While not realistic,either are most other movie characters. I liked the movies for what they were and the different guns they had in them.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post