New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Rifleman Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
...beacuse it's almost Saturday and I watch this now like I did when I was ten.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Now that I’m retired I watch all the early westerns in the morning while drinking my coffee. Watching Wanted Dead or Alive right now with Steve McQueen. Before that it was The Cheyenne Show with Clint Walker and the Maverick with James Garner. Next is Paladin with Richard Boone. Then Rawhide and the High Chaparell.

It’s amazing how many well known actors are in these shows when they were very young. Especially Gunsmoke. Apparently everyone in Hollywood went through Gunsmoke. It must have been a right of passage. Gunsmoke and The Rifleman are two of my favorites. If you watch the credits after the Rifleman you will see Sam Peckinpah directed a few of these.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
LOVE those shows - watch them all - especially like that they are in B + W .

Paladin, Cheyenne, Rifleman, Gun Smoke, Maverick just name a few. Cool

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:...

It’s amazing how many well known actors are in these shows when they were very young. ...

Most of the shows were much like "fast food and casual dining restaurants" are to "Fine Dining", everybody started off "slinging hash and dropping plates", and there a small handful of "regular" actors to go around.

But most of those who stuck to it are to our benefit, and that we see some really great performances that turned otherwise dull and boring shows into memorable and classic entertainment, and later, some really great movies.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Yoop, you can see most of the old westerns on METv, the channel for old farts. And lots of other old shows too.
Cannon. Mannix. Outer Limits. Perry Mason. Highway Patrol. 77 Sunset Strip. For a while they were running the 30 minute episodes of Gunsmoke, too.
I love the old cars on the 50s shows.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I love watching these old Westerns. We have MeTV and INSP here. INSP shows pretty much nothing but Westerns all day.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
The last time we were in Cody, WY, we took a trolley ride through town. Near the end of the trip, the guide would play a western theme song and would hand out wooden nickels to whomever go the name of the show right.

My win was on the Rifleman theme song, but I guessed right on all five songs.

Spent many a Saturday afternoon in my youth watching old westerns with my dad. The tattoo on my right leg is a tribute to my favorite show, Have Gun Will Travel. The one oddball show (for me anyway) was Sky King, I enjoyed it, but seemed out of place in a block of westerns!

I really miss good western shows and I am Gen-X!

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Really enjoy watching MeTV and INSP. Lot's of old westerns on both.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Besides watching these shows, I was always impressed and loved their original theme music. Nothing compares these days.

Posts: 9025 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The eternal question is: How many shot does he fire in the opening sequence? There are 2 correct answers - the mechancal answer and film answer.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
The eternal question is: How many shot does he fire in the opening sequence? There are 2 correct answers - the mechancal answer and film answer.
straight from memory, if I recall correctly it was 7? As kids, my brothers and I used to watch The Rifleman. One of my Bros recently purchased the series on DVD, and planning to binge a bunch of episodes when I visit him next!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post