SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Vinyl Lovers Unite - What Have You Done Lately?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vinyl Lovers Unite - What Have You Done Lately? Login/Join 
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
What turntables do people like that can be used also to download onto a computer? My mom still has a number of records that we played while I grew up, and wanted to download some onto cd's for her.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I am currently playing my albums on a Pro-ject VT-R BT turntable. The outputs are for Phono, Preamp, and Bluetooth. It allows me to play records on a component stereo, a book shelf system in the other room, or my computer on the other side of the house. Sure, a USB turntable can do the same, but I didn't have to run wires to three different rooms or a speaker out on the patio. The added bonus lets me transmit music to my iPhone and make ringtones straight from the turntable. Do loads of research before buying one and then make the most of what it is capable of.

I built a recess in the living room wall under the stairs. Ran power and mounted the tuntable to the back. May be the only one here listening to '80s & '90s metal on a turntable. Listening to Five Finger Death Punch right now, Queensryche's 'Empire' is next.

Picture discs are great (especially if Joan Jett is on them). If you haven't found any clear or translucent albums yet, those are the best. Thinking about adding a laser or two to illuminate the clear records from the side as I found out the laser reflects off of the grooves lit from underneath and looks really cool.

Not like I'm getting carried away or anything...

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I bought three more albums in the last week or so. The newest from the Hendrix family of previously unreleased material from Jimi, “Both Sides of the Sky.” A couple tracks feature other guys singing, and one track is more Johnny Winter’s slide work, than Jimi’s playing but, all-in-all worth owning.

“Kiko,” Los Lobos. This album has been on my 10 favorites list for a long time; I suspect it always will be. Special release from “master recording.”

“In Step,” SRV. This was a suggestion from the cover art thread. Limited edition, 200 gm disc. Really glad I got this.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Picked up a NOS Discwasher D4 with full bottle of fluid. 1980 era with walnut handle and bristley type head, not new style with plastic handle and flat cloth.

I’ve got one of these—somewhere. I’ve looked all over for it. Picked up a Super Exstatic cleaning brush because I needed something. IMO inferior

They're a cool piece of hardware for nostalgia, but they'll wear out a vinyl disc just as fast today as they did in 1980. Don't use it. The bristles are too stiff, and they pick up the dust or grime on a disc and grind it against the vinyl.

What you want is a brush like this one. The bristles are soft and flexible. Use them only if needed and with a light touch. Keep your vinyl clean to start with.

https://www.audioquest.com/acc...-static-record-brush

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Picked up a NOS Discwasher D4 with full bottle of fluid. 1980 era with walnut handle and bristley type head, not new style with plastic handle and flat cloth.

I’ve got one of these—somewhere. I’ve looked all over for it. Picked up a Super Exstatic cleaning brush because I needed something. IMO inferior

They're a cool piece of hardware for nostalgia, but they'll wear out a vinyl disc just as fast today as they did in 1980. Don't use it. The bristles are too stiff, and they pick up the dust or grime on a disc and grind it against the vinyl.

I had no idea. Sounds like really good information.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post