SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Vinyl Lovers Unite - What Have You Done Lately?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vinyl Lovers Unite - What Have You Done Lately? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
After determining my BiC 960 turntable is froze I found, and bought, a Technics SL-1600 from the original owner and recently serviced to include a new Audio-Technica cartridge (AT 122 EP) and the following records:

Punk Floyd - Animals (original issue) (NM jacket, NM vinyl)
Frampton Comes Alive (original issue) (VG jacket, EX vinyl)
Sinatra - Best Of, 70s era (VG jacket and vinyl)
Grease - Sound Track - premier pressing (A & B etched on vinyl) (NM jacket and vinyl) what can i say, my beautiful wife loves the movie and soundtrack

Cost: $250

All setup only to find I need a new preamp. Lol

To add, I also have a line on an original, still factory sealed, copy of Blind Faith (copy with the girl on it) purchased in London, 1969. Hoping is not a ruse.

Whay have you done lately?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Last week I bought Grimes: Art Angels on vinyl. I may end up losing it when my Son moves out.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a few months back but me and a friends bought ~ 3500 records from a flea market for $200. Took us a couple of months to cull and sort them but we both ended up with around 200 decent records and sold the remaining for $100.

I need to find a new receiver/preamp myself.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bought an unopened copy of Blind Faith (with the girl on the cover)

Has the original Wherehouse sticker from England. Original cost: £5.9

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Found a Pro-Ject turntable recently.

Today I am listening to Five Finger Death Punch. Have a nice picture disc set called Got Your Six.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Gotta share this, found a shop with about 25 yards (yes, yards - not feet) of used records.

Found two awesome records:

Johnny Winter - The Progressive Blues Experiment (just plain outstanding BTW)
B.B. King - Live in Cook County Jail

Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Great finds!

I just picked up Skynyrd Street Survivors and James Gang Rides Again from MoFi.

Posts: 672 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just playing some albums over the weekend.

Norman Blake: Whiskey Before Breakfast and Back Home In Sulphur Springs;
JJ Cale: Really;
Byrds: Sweetheart of the Rodeo (didn’t like it as much as I remembered);
Rosanne Cash: Right or Wrong.

Thinking about another turn table since I’ve been playing more albums. I have a relatively inexpensive Numark. It doesn’t have a cueing lever (or whatever you call the device that raises and lowers the tone arm gently). I hate trying to hit a particular track by placing the arm manually. Anyone have recommendations? I guess I would spend what’s necessary to get the features I want, but $400 seems like enough to spend.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I guess I would spend what’s necessary to get the features I want, but $400 seems like enough to spend.

Look for a Technics SL-1600. You'll need a pre amp though.

Not sure about newer stuff, I use the review feature on Amazon for that

Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a SL-1600 or SL-1700 for a vintage table! If you want new for that price you can get a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for just under $400. But, I would opt for the vintage Technics personally.

Posts: 672 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Picked up a NOS Discwasher D4 with full bottle of fluid. 1980 era with walnut handle and bristley type head, not new style with plastic handle and flat cloth.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Picked up a NOS Discwasher D4 with full bottle of fluid. 1980 era with walnut handle and bristley type head, not new style with plastic handle and flat cloth.

I’ve got one of these—somewhere. I’ve looked all over for it. Picked up a Super Exstatic cleaning brush because I needed something. IMO inferior

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

I still use the one I bought in the '80s. That little bottle lasts *forever*.

Posts: 701 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pistolria:
Hard to beat a SL-1600 or SL-1700 for a vintage table! If you want new for that price you can get a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for just under $400. But, I would opt for the vintage Technics personally.

Being in that business at that time I never was a fan of static balanced tone-arms.
Being an audio-snob at the time I favored the dynamically balanced arms like Dual and the like.
However, did sell a lot of the SL1600 SL1700 and even some of the manual SL1800's.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the new Blade Runner movie came out, I saw that the original movie's Vangelis soundtrack had been rereleased for $88.00, I went over and double-checked that I still had my original LP, saving myself $88!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Being in that business at that time I never was a fan of static balanced tone-arms.
Being an audio-snob at the time I favored the dynamically balanced arms like Dual and the like.
However, did sell a lot of the SL1600 SL1700 and even some of the manual SL1800's.[/QUOTE]

The Dual tables are great too. I had a Dual 1029, that I wish I still had! Using a rebuilt Pioneer PL540 that is awesome right now. Blows the doors off my Rega Planar 2.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Listening to The Completion Backwards Principle.

Told the wife "once we start, we can't stop until listening to the second side." She gave the "are you stoned look" until she heard the opening track. Big Grin

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Played Kinks - Misfits for the wife.

She laughed a lot. Big Grin

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Just bought the following (to name a few), all in excellent or near mint condition and original issue and printed in either Germany or Yugoslavia.

Eagles- hotel California
Scorpions - love at first sting
Supertramp - breakfast in America
Vanilla fudge - best of
Rear earth
Cream - Disreali (sp?) Gears
Doors - live at Hollywood bowl

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Ordered and received a new copy of “Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.”