SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Blackhawk Comics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackhawk Comics Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else out there old enough to remember Blackhawk Comics ? That was one of my favorite comics growing up in the fifties. It featured the adventures of a multinational force of heroes, flying a squadron of the latest jet fighters and travelling from country to country to fight the bad guys and keep the world safe for democracy. They had really cool uniforms too. I never quite understand where they got the money for the planes and the jet fuel but that was a minor point to a kid. I have always thought, that in today's world of superhero movies, I would love to see them make a movie of the Blackhawks. As it happens, I Googled them the other night and to my delight, I found that Steven Spielberg is also a fan and may be planning a film version. I can't wait.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There is a full wiki on the comics, which originated in the 1940s. Apparently, they made it to film, radio and novelization.

Spielberg may be contemplating a re-make.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I remember reading a few issues that I acquired from a 2nd hand store where you could trade comics back in the early 60s. Didn't really get into them because the store only had a few issues. About that time I got into the M.A.R.S. Patrol that came out, so I saved my pop bottle money for those.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple of the "politically incorrect" version. It was still being published by the time I came along but Chop Chop had really ...changed.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my youthful comic book reading was done during rest period at day camp 1953-1954 . We had rest period so that the counselors could regain their composure. In addition to Blackhawk, there were the EC war comics, like Two-Fisted Tales and their companion horror comics, like Tales from The Crypt. There was also of course, the original MAD and its companion comic, PANIC . Before long, of course, the adults, in a further effort to combat juvenile delinquency ( anybody still have their pre-ban switchblade ?), created the Comics Code Authority, without whose approval, you were no longer able to publish. That was the origin of MAD Magazine. Knowing they could no longer get away with the humor in the comic book, the format was enlarged and shazam, it was a magazine.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Blackhawk was a huge favorite of mine in grammar school. He had pilots from many countries, so it was a model of multi-ethnicity IIRC. I’m trying to remember if the jets had swept-back wings or not, in the mid-50’s. I was maybe 9 or 10.

Ok, thanks Wikipedia:
quote:
Led by a mysterious man known as Blackhawk, the Blackhawks (or more formally, the Blackhawk Squadron) are a small team of World War II-era ace pilots of varied nationalities, each typically known under a single name, either their given name or their surname. Though the membership roster has undergone changes over the years, the team has been portrayed most consistently as having seven core members.

In their most well-known incarnation, the Blackhawks operate from a hidden base known only as Blackhawk Island, fly Grumman XF5F Skyrocket planes, and shout their battle cry of "Hawk-a-a-a!" as they descend from the skies to fight tyranny and oppression. Clad in matching blue and black uniforms (with Blackhawk himself boasting a hawk insignia on his chest), early stories pitted the team against the Axis powers, but they would also come to battle recurring foes such as King Condor and Killer Shark, as well as encounter an array of gorgeous and deadly femme fatales. They also frequently squared off against fantastical war machines ranging from amphibious "shark planes" and flying tanks, to the aptly named War Wheel, a gigantic rolling behemoth adorned with spikes and machine guns.

That’s the Blackhawk I remember, yes it would be Grumman fighters, similar to the F9F, but whether Cougar or Panther I don’t know. Sold to DC in 1956, that would be after I was reading them, so I guess mine would have been from Quality Comics?

Thanks for bringing back some sweet memories!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post