SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Expanse has been canceled...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Expanse has been canceled... Login/Join 
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted
Syfy has got to be the worst network when it comes to keeping crappy shows and canceling great ones.

The expanse has been canceled.

"...The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the U.S. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing, which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series that tend to draw the lion’s share of their audiences from digital/streaming...."

http://deadline.com/2018/05/th...-shopped-1202388026/

I hope some other network picks this up. The story is still strong, the acting has been good and it may well be the best scifi series on tv right now.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh sooooo disappointed. With all the crap shows that run forever. The one of the few I look forward to can't even go past 3 seasons Mad

-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised. The quality of the show is too high for Syfy's usual D-list fare.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I hope someone picks it up. Really liked this show.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The Expanse and earlier Extinct both cancelled and both with a lot of promise on their respective networks. I'd like to get the asshats who make these decisions in a locked room with me. Argh! Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Betcha Netflix will pick it up

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:

Hope so, one of my favorites.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:

I would think more likely Amazon, since seasons 1-3 are on Prime.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Only the first two seasons are free to watch on Prime. Season 3 is available if you buy the season or do pay-per-episode.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Understandable. It's got to be expensive to make, and the people making it are only making money on the first run which no one is watching.

A shitty deal on their part, but they no doubt had to go along with it to get there show on the air. Frown

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Only the first two seasons are free to watch on Prime. Season 3 is available if you buy the season or do pay-per-episode.

That's the way S2 was, too: Pay-per-view at first, then included in Prime.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
What the fuck is wrong with them? Best sci fi on TV!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
If the choice was either keep going and drop production value, or let it go while it's still amazing then I guess I see the logic here.

But it sounds like they just went with whatever would maybe pay the bills next month.

Would love to see it continue elsewhere at the same or even better level. Especially since I've spent the money and time on all the books so far.
Looks like Amazon is the only hope for that.

Fingers crossed.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Mad

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Politically offensive
Picture of WarEagle
posted Hide Post
I'm watching it right now then I see they are cancelling the show. What a bunch of morons!

Regards, WarEagle
NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 2341 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: October 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Gahhhhgg.

Firefly
Defiance

... well, maybe SyFy will have money for more $1 million dollar movies that spawned the likes of 'Ice Spiders' and 'Sharknado' ...

Discover new B-grade movie heroes, like Doug McClure and Caroline Munro ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Firefly wasn't a Sci-Fi program. It aired on Fox.

posted Hide Post
Ive now seen the first 4 eps of The Expanse, and it is Firefly level of excellent.

Syfy canceled because their rights to it were just linear, no streaming, etc. I’m guessing their ratings for the broadcast by itself weren’t enough to justify the price.

I wasn’t a big Thomas Jane fan before, but his game is certainly elevated in my eyes.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you equate it with Firefly. It reminds me a lot of Babylon 5.

posted Hide Post
I'm 'rewatching' it on Prime via unlimited T-mobile work phone to show interest to Amazon.

It's really doing a good job cutting the book down to TV-size without killing the story. I need to re-watch everything just to keep the books & show separate. Almost wish I wasn't ahead, it was really good when I didn't know what was going to happen in the show.

Ready for 'Brienne of Mars' to go apeshit on Io to that jackass Dr.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post