SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix "Altered Carbon" 2-2-2018
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix "Altered Carbon" 2-2-2018 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Finished it this weekend and thought it was a great sci-fi series. Spoiler below!

Was it ever explained why Quellcrist had superhuman abilities? I understand she invented the stacks but that alone shouldn't give her the abilities she had.

Also what was the significance of the Songspire trees? Seemed they got lots of attention but didn't play into the plot anywhere.

Not really in the show, but from the books:

The SongSpire trees are artifacts from a long extinct alien species. That species is basically just background world building until the third book, where they become more plot centered.

There was a throw away line in the first episode talking about Kovacs' sleeve having "military-grade neuro-chem and combat muscle memory". The books go into a lot more detail and backstory, but there's a LOT of customization/improvement of sleeves, so any physical superpowers are likely unseen sleeve upgrades. Things like artificially enhanced reflexes and speed, "super" strength, night vision, even Wolf genes for combat and loyalty. There's a TON of features and options for a combat sleeve, which Quell would have had.

Also in the books they go into more detail of the conditioning of the Envoy Corp (which is actually a UN special Forces type unit). The TV show hits the high points "Total absorption, total recall, use everything" But there's more detail on things like how they condition themselves to break out of virtual, and how the "Envoy Intuition" works. That covers the rest of Quell's abilities. (Except, in the books Quell isn't an Envoy, but oh well).

Overall I really liked the show. Where it deviated from the books (which I also liked) I at least understood why due to the format differences.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Finished the show up last week, and while I really like sci-fi, this one just didn't do a whole lot for me. It was too complex to follow, though I'm sure if I read the books first I would understand it all!

Regarding the girls, my initial impressions remain the same: Dichen Lachman = meh, Margaret Higareda = OMG hotness

I will remember and replay the bathtub scene from 5 minutes into episode 8 over and over and over again... even if only in my mind! What a perfect little shape she has!!!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I liked it enough to hope that they come out with a second season.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'm watching it on and off. Up to about episode 4 or 5. For my taste it's okay, but not great. Netflix has put out some pretty darn good series. From me, this one would get a 4 maybe 5 on a 10 point scale. I'll qualify that by saying I like some SCI FI but it's not my very favorite genre so there's some bias here.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I'm watching it on and off. Up to about episode 4 or 5. For my taste it's okay, but not great. Netflix has put out some pretty darn good series. From me, this one would get a 4 maybe 5 on a 10 point scale. I'll qualify that by saying I like some SCI FI but it's not my very favorite genre so there's some bias here.

I didn't get really hooked until episodes 5-7. Hopefully you'll have the same experience.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I watched Ep 1 last night and am already hooked!

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I finished it last night. The finale could have been better.

Overall, 85 thumbs up, 15 thumbs down, out of 100 thumbs (obviously).

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Fair to good. Book is better; then one's imagine is always better.

Well, except for Ortega, SHE WAS GOOD!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
<<snip>>
Well, except for Ortega, SHE WAS GOOD!

She was the sole reason I watched the entire series. Just couldn't get enough of her!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
When Ortega got her new arm and they are thrown in into the 'octagon' to fight in my opinion was ludicrous. Why is there always a ninja?

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post