SIGforum
Netflix "Altered Carbon" 2-2-2018

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3260031434

February 06, 2018, 09:41 PM
NextGhost
Netflix "Altered Carbon" 2-2-2018
Was not nearly as good as the book, but a faithful adaptation would probably have been too dark for most. That being said, was pretty decent television sci fi.
February 07, 2018, 05:27 AM
Anubismp
This is my new crack, thanks.
February 07, 2018, 08:11 AM
0-0
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

If you liked the Martha Higareda character in the first couple episodes, you will really like her in a few more episodes. BTW, she is smoking hot. Big Grin

I find Dichen Lachman to be exotic and very pretty.

I find those statements to be true. Cool

0-0,
Glad you wife likes the show. My guess is it may have something to do with her inner 14 year old and the main character. Big Grin

She was drooling all over him when we started watching The Killing. I'm the film / tv authority and I didn't recognize the dude. You must be absolutely right. Must be Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
February 07, 2018, 10:17 AM
radinski
Really enjoyed the series. Liked the inclusion of the Max Headroom character and loved the line from the fake Ortega, "I've been killing her....alot"
February 07, 2018, 11:58 AM
Chach
Got up to the flashback episode last night where Kovac's history is shown. Now that a lot of questions have been answered I'd say it's a great series. There were a lot of bits that were a little confusing or just missing info that I assume were explained in the book but dropped due to editing / flow in the show.

Can't wait to finish it up today, think I have 2 episodes left.

BTW - What did you all think of the Dia de los Muertos episode? Been reading on some sites that people didn't like it much, personally I thought it was one of the better early episodes. Showed a lot of their technology capabilities (Kovacs in the construct) while also presenting a humorous look at the spiritual aspect of their tech (Ortega 'spinning up' her Grandmother in the perp's sleeve)

February 09, 2018, 08:46 AM
jsbcody
SPOILER AHEAD PLEASE STOP IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCH THE FULL SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a question and thought: in the scene where the Ghost Walker goes to the Ravenwood Hotel and takes the hostages. As Poe is dying he sends Lizzie to the Cloud Ship via DHF (Digital Human Freight). As Poe dies, there is a stack that is created in the hotel lobby and the Ghost Walker takes it with him. Whose stack is it? I think it is Poe's.
February 09, 2018, 09:14 AM
BigNC
quote:

I have a question and thought: in the scene where the Ghost Walker goes to the Ravenwood Hotel and takes the hostages. As Poe is dying he sends Lizzie to the Cloud Ship via DHF (Digital Human Freight). As Poe dies, there is a stack that is created in the hotel lobby and the Ghost Walker takes it with him. Whose stack is it? I think it is Poe's.

I thought that was lizzie's dead stack?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
February 09, 2018, 10:09 AM
jsbcody
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
quote:

Her father had her dead stack after she was uploaded into Poe's system for treatment. It was a "live" stack (blue glowing crystal in it). I thought it was also fabricated then and filled but I will re watch that scene.
February 09, 2018, 10:22 AM
Aeteocles
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
quote:

Her father had her dead stack after she was uploaded into Poe's system for treatment. It was a "live" stack (blue glowing crystal in it). I thought it was also fabricated then and filled but I will re watch that scene.

It's Lizzie's stack. We see them put her stack into that same machine in an earlier episode, and the stack has remained there ever since. Then, as her consciousness is uploaded, her dead stack comes out of the machine. Leung brings the dead stack to Rei, daddy sees it and is devasted, thinking Lizzie has real deathed.
February 09, 2018, 06:01 PM
GeeTen
"Death'd in the real." I know a few folks that probably deserve that fate . . . . . Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!
February 09, 2018, 07:47 PM
aparoche
I’m on the second episode and I think I’ve narrowed down the plot...

Nipples... erect nipples.
February 10, 2018, 07:42 AM
GeeTen
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:

Ha, ha - you ain't seen nuthin' yet . . . Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!
February 10, 2018, 10:46 AM
jsbcody
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Hmmm..episode #8 and #9.....get back to us after you watch those two. Big Grin
February 10, 2018, 02:25 PM
bronicabill
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Hmmm..episode #8 and #9.....get back to us after you watch those two. Big Grin

For realz... early in episode 9 , Ortega and the bathtub scene. Sealed the deal for me that she is the hottest of the hot!!! Sure wish she would crawl out of MY bathtub like that! Big Grin

Bill R.
North Alabama
February 12, 2018, 12:10 PM
Brett B
Finished it this weekend and thought it was a great sci-fi series. Spoiler below!

Was it ever explained why Quellcrist had superhuman abilities? I understand she invented the stacks but that alone shouldn't give her the abilities she had.

Also what was the significance of the Songspire trees? Seemed they got lots of attention but didn't play into the plot anywhere.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/
February 12, 2018, 12:55 PM
Aeteocles
I didn't see any superpowers in Quell. It's all psychological conditioning-- the UN Protectorate and Quell's Envoys all are conditioned to survive frequent resleeving so that they can survive being needlecasted all over the place to fight their war. UN Protectorate soldiers are desensitized to be fearless and obedient.

Quell's Envoys are further conditioned to recover from the disorientation caused by needlecasting without the need for stimulant chemicals, are conditioned to observe and absorb everything without bias as potentially useful information (noticing small details indicating hidden machine guns in the ceiling of the hotel), conditioned to learn and adapt into new environments and to recruit locals they can use, conditioned to use their sleeves/body as a tool to maximum effect, and to psychologically hack their own consciousness to manipulate and endure VR torture and interrogation.

I've not read the books, but it looks like Quell is able to teach her Envoys to control their consciousness to a higher level...like monks who can do incredible physical feats through careful control of their consciousness. As a scientist who invented cortical stacks, it makes sense that she would have an intimate understanding of how consciousness works, and how that consciousness controls a body.
February 12, 2018, 02:10 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
Watched half of the first episode. It was crap.

+1 (Insightful)

It's the internet. There is no requirement for insight. Some people like a show, others don't. Some people feel the need to explain, others to just chime in and say "not me."
I watched episode 1 based on this thread and just couldn't get into it. The shootout in the bar was cool, but the rest left me wishing there was commercials.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
February 12, 2018, 03:49 PM
Oz_Shadow
I give it a solid B. Visually interesting in many ways and decent story. My favorite part of the storyline was the hotel guy.
February 18, 2018, 11:13 PM
Tommydogg
Just finished the series tonight, it was bitchin. Now I want to read tje books.

Beth Greene
February 19, 2018, 06:35 AM
Veeper
The wrap-up was a huge train wreck. Yikes.

I’d give it a C.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken