SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Is Netflix worth it??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Netflix worth it?? Login/Join 
posted
I do not have it and on occasion see films that are exclusively offered on Netflix. I could care less about binge watching TV shows which seems to be popular. I currently have Direct TV in a bundle and am not changing anytime soon. Thoughts?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you're already paying for Direct TV, no. Unless there's something you REALLY want to see and can't get it anywhere else.

I think Netflix is worth it... but not all year. lol I've come to realize with most of the shows I wanted to see, watched and re-watched, and so few new things I'm interested it, I could probably close my account an just reopen it once, maybe twice a year to catch up. Two months a year, evenly spaced out would probably do me fine.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have it and I don't think it is worth it especially since they just upped the price.

I want to cancel the whole shebang but the other half keeps and pays for it for her shitbag sister

I really don't see a need with all the free platforms that are available such as Pluto, Tubi, Crackle etc..

If I would get any I would get Hulu. They are running a special for $2 a month for the next year.

I will say that I am glad we had netflix so i could watch Mosul

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the few(?) who still get the DVDs in the mail because I don't consider the little bit of streaming shit they have, to be worth it.

I'm planning on cancelling it when my DVD queue is done. It's not helping that their "centralized" dvd distribution centers now seem to ship from across the continent as I used to be able to get my next disc in just a couple days. Now it seems to take a week+.

Some of my movies are streamable from Amazon but they charge extra for many of them.

My next disc is Green Book. I can buy it for $14 or wait a week for Netflix to ship it and then be sure to watch immediately and return to get 3 movies a month on disc and then a little bit of streaming.
Yeah, I'm struggling w/ the same thing.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We have Netflix. We feel it's worth it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
For me, it's ethics.

Netflix is NOT worth it for me.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have it. Do I like their politics. No. But they picked up DramaFever and I like watching korean TV/movies. And they have some things I like. Punisher series and others. I don't watch ANY network TV - haven't looked at a 'channel' for several years now. Neflix, Prime, Viki (and HBOMax but it's free) are my AV indulgences.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I was enjoying it but their unethical programming and the fact that they're in bed with the Obamas killed it for me. Cuties was the last straw. Also how they push LGBTQWERTY/SJW propaganda upon kids is also appalling.

I enjoyed Marco Polo, Frontier, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Last Kingdom (?) and The Punisher. But for me, the bad outweighed the good.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If I was using my own money, I'd say no, but one of the benefits of using T-Mobile is they pay for the 1080p version of Netflix for free. At that point, it's "Why Not?" If I had to use my own money and not get anything else in return, then probably not. Most of my viewing these days goes towards YouTube Premium and Motor Racing.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
For me, it's ethics.

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I was enjoying it but their unethical programming and the fact that they're in bed with the Obamas killed it for me. Cuties was the last straw. Also how they push LGBTQWERTY/SJW propaganda upon kids is also appalling.

I enjoyed Marco Polo, Frontier, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Last Kingdom (?) and The Punisher. But for me, the bad outweighed the good.

Tony.
Same. We canceled it. It got too racial and the final straw was when they started sexualizing children.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Netflix isn't worse than any of the regular channels now days.
Woke TV is everywhere.
You need more channels just to find some decent programming.
Netflix has enabled me to find some old series(s) I never watched when they were live and without commercials too.
If it starts out with too much of this shit ~ I bail and move on.
Haven't run out of things to watch yet.

Posts: 22859 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bonnie thinks its worth the $8.00 per month.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
For me, it's ethics.

I must say. the Obama thing is sticking my (and my wife's) craw. I think I will urge her to quit it with me when the price goes up in a couple of months or however long it is.

If they want a reason, I plan to say 'You expect me to stomach the Obama's and a price increase so they can get paid? F you and the Obamas you rode in on.'

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I like it and feel it is worth it.

They are constantly dropping Netflix original content. I spend 80% of my TV time with Netflix, even though I have access to Hulu, Disney+ and Amazon Prime.

They have a free trial. Just dive right in and see if they have enough to keep your attention. You can also cancel anytime you like without penalty from the website. It's not like trying to cancel Cable TV where you have to call in and listen to a sales pitch.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
If I was using my own money, I'd say no, but one of the benefits of using T-Mobile is they pay for the 1080p version of Netflix for free. At that point, it's "Why Not?" If I had to use my own money and not get anything else in return, then probably not. Most of my viewing these days goes towards YouTube Premium and Motor Racing.

What is this deal through T-Mobile? Do you get it w/ your cellular service?

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Get an ATT cell phone and get free HBO Max
Sprint phone - Free Hulu
Tmobile - Free Netflix

We have three phones in the house, now all ATT, think I'll put one phone on each service LOL

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Our family has had Netflix and Amazon Prime for years. As far as I'm concerned they both suck!
Occasionally I might stumble onto a series or movie that is good but that's after sitting through countless series and movies that suck!

The quality standards in Hollywood have declined for years, with the introduction of Netflix, Amazon, etc the bar has been lowered to a point that a quality movie will be far and few between.
Movie factories is what we now have.

Most young people now would not recognize quality if it hit them between the eyes.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Have had Netflix for a number of years. There's been several threads here admonishing Netflix for various reasons. I respect the opinions of others, especially my brothermen here many of which have really blasted it. I've stuck with it because of the programing. Well that has really decline in the last year, and I'm probably going to dump it the first of the year unless they give me something so compelling to make it worth while.

Now Amazon... Pretty weak programing for the most part, but since it comes with Prime which I still think is a good deal, I'm keeping it. Every now and again they come up with a gem.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have a free trial. Just dive right in and see if they have enough to keep your attention. You can also cancel anytime you like without penalty from the website. It's not like trying to cancel Cable TV where you have to call in and listen to a sales pitch.

^^^^^^^^^
Thanks all for the info. It is good to know that it is not hard to cancel, since my experience has consistently been otherwise with Cable TV and other deals. I was attracted to the offering of Mosul which is available on their site.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Thanks all for the info. It is good to know that it is not hard to cancel, since my experience has consistently been otherwise with Cable TV and other deals.

We've never cancelled, but it seems easy.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I was attracted to the offering of Mosul which is available on their site.

There's a lot of good content on Netflix. A few we have on our lists:

• Space Force
  • Altered Carbon
  • Messiah
  • The Witcher
  • Another Life
  • The Umbrella Academy
  • Hell On Wheels
  • Longmire
  • Stranger Things
  • The Kominsky Method
  • Ozark
  • Christmas Chronicles
  • Santa Clarita Diet
  • The Highwaymen
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • Breaking Bad
  • Rake
  • Enola Holmes
  • Six Underground
  • Community
  • Angel Has Fallen
  • Olympus Has Fallen

That should keep you amused for a couple days Smile

There are a bunch more we've watched, and have since been removed from our lists, I can't recall.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post