Find
Notify
Tools

Blues songs Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Gravy from Alabama, these guys were together for a year and did one Album "From the Hip" it has excellent blues from Junkyard Man, High and Dry, Change, Gravy, Full Figured Friend etc.

Rob Thornworth was the lead vocals, he's gone on to do other blues, but nothing matches that sound Gravy put out...

The write up in the trades was:

Gravy - From The Hip*

"With Elements of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lightnin' Hopkins, Johnny Winter and other blues masters, Gravy manages to incorporate history into a sound that doesn't sound old. Four stars." — Birmingham News

"If Buddy Guy teamed up with Pearl Jam, there might be a little Gravy oozing out of the speakers." — Bone, Nashville

The video for Junkyard Man is from 95, grainy, the sound not bad but I can assure you that the MP3 flat rocks...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBufgRTz0Hw

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQvajx4pKE

You can download the album from Amazon for $1.59, it's the best $2 you'll spend LOL

Amazon - Gravy From the Hip

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6J-SBfMP5A

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FLASH

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Here's a few that come to mind: Room To Move good blues-harp by John Mayall. I'm Tired a classic by Savoy Brown. Then, a new one by Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart - I'd Rather Go Blind.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Speaking of (references to) Bobby Blue Bland, and Double Trouble:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favorites. It's been done by many many performers. Hugh Laurie does it some justice here.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Little different tact. Here are two of my all-time favorite Blues songs. Each done by two different people.

Catfish Blues. Written by Robert Petway, but the tune evolved and the version most often carried forward is Muddy's

Others who have recorded (or at least performed) the song include B B King, Jack White, ZZ Top, & Jimi Hendrix. Here's Gary Clark Jr.

Another favorite is I Put a Spell On You. Ironically, the one version I do not like is from the song's writer, Screamin' Jay Hawkins. He plays it campy, and it's such a powerful song that I think it's wasted played that way.

Good versions by several men, especially Tab Benoit, but I think it's best when a woman sings it.

Nina

Samantha Fish. Terrific young singer and guitar player. She tours her ass off. Lots of opportunity to see her, and if you'll hurry just a little--still an opportunity to see her in a small venue.

I don't know if anybody actually listens to these posted songs, but it's fun to see what people like (and sometimes what people consider "Blues"). Thanks

BTW, I've bought quite a lot of Koko Taylor in the past few months. She sang with some greats too

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Back in the olden days, when you heard a song you liked in a movie, you had to wait for the credits to roll. I first heard this in a movie called "Better Off Dead" with John Cusack, a classic teenage angst movie from the 80's.

The movie has the main character Lain working on a 1967 Camaro (my favorite muscle car). And when he's done, this is the song that plays along with it.

I had to look high and low for this album. It wasn't exactly the easiest to find Muddy Waters at Musicland or Sam Goodie in the burbs. Found it. Played it for all my friends riding in a black Fleetwood Brougham.

I didn't have any inkling of the history between Muddy Water's Blue Sky recordings or the role of Johnny Winter as producer for this Grammy winning album.

Muddy hadn't had a good studio album since the Chess records on the early 60's. Johnny figured out it was because Muddy was being stuck in a glass room, listening to the track and singing along whereas Muddy Waters Chess recordings were recorded as an ensemble

So, Johnny recruited some of the best at their craft. Pinetop Perkins on Piano, James Cotton on harp, Willie Big Eyes Smith on drums, Johnny Winter on guitar, James Margolin on rhythm guitar, Charles Calmese on bass.

So Johnny setup a mic in the middle of the room, mic'ed the individual instruments and recorded the sessions as an ensemble with the same crew. The results was Muddy's comeback album and won the Grammy for best blues.

Anyhoo

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(K,Na)(Fe+++,Al,Mg)2
(Si,Al)4 O10(OH)2
Picture of Munch
posted Hide Post
Michael Burks is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzhLOo1Xq_Q

Posts: 859 | Location: north central Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Munch:
Michael Burks is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzhLOo1Xq_Q

I was a fan of his, too. I saw him in concert once. The man played for 3 hours straight! His band took a break or two, but he kept going.

I was sad to learn he had passed away.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
Eagle Eye Williamson's "Black Gold" is easily in my top three.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUMEwn9jaoQ

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Been waitin for a little Johnny Lee

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/3FoFqTVqS_o [/FLASH_VIDEO]