SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun 2 - Confirmed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun 2 - Confirmed Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Jennifer Connelly Eek

Amazed she’s in it. That means I will have to see it (been in love with her for 25 years) but not at the theater Wink

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is starting to sound like the Tropic Thunder film within a film. "Just 1 day into fliming it is already 3 weeks behind schedule". Somebody find the keygrip and punch that director really hard.

The original July 2019 release date has been pushed back to June 2020 after just 2 weeks of filming - 8 days in Coronado, and 6 days in Norfolk.

https://www.navytimes.com/off-...pushed-back-to-2020/

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That means they're just going to make it that much more AWESOME...

Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Was that Penny Benjamin?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Tom Cruise is 57 YO -- late 50's.

I'm no expert, but I doubt the Navy has any fighter jet pilots who are in their late 50's. Just passing the eyesight test would be a challenge at that age, unless reading glasses are ok. Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Tom Cruise is 57 YO -- late 50's.

I'm no expert, but I doubt the Navy has any fighter jet pilots who are in their late 50's. Just passing the eyesight test would be a challenge at that age, unless reading glasses are ok. Smile

Air Force has fighter pilots that old for sure. Usually full birds or Generals who want to keep their flight pay.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I will have this when it comes out on a 4k disc with Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
From Wikipedia

quote:
After more than thirty years of service as one of the Navy’s top aviators, Pete “Maverick” Mitchell (Tom Cruise) is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. When he finds himself training a detachment of Top Gun graduates for a specialized mission the likes of which no living pilot has ever seen, Maverick encounters Lt. Bradley Bradshaw (Miles Teller), call sign: “Rooster,” the son of Maverick’s late best friend and Radar Intercept Officer Lt. Nick Bradshaw, aka “Goose.”

Facing an uncertain future and confronting the ghosts of his past, Maverick is drawn into a confrontation with his own deepest fears, culminating in a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those who will be chosen to fly it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that 2nd trailer, looks great.

I also like how they tackled his age and the believe-ability of his still flying head-on. The explanation is highly unlikely...but at least possible. Classic "hollywood" would have been just to ignore the issue all together. He refused promotion to 07, is bumping up against his mandatory separation date, but not quite there yet, and matured into an excellent pilot who hasn't given them a reason to force his retirement.

What is truly un-believable is the silly controversy about Kelly McGillis not being in it. There is zero reason for her character to show up in this movie and if she did it would be a blatant stupid cameo serving no purpose. She was just some civilian temp contractor he encountered in training 30+ years ago, unless Mav knocked her up, he'd never see her again.

I can picture the scene now...Maverick and Baby Goose are in a bar in San Diego when the run into her. Thinking it would be funny, they do the "Lost That Loving Feeling" bit again. After, Mav is fighting her off of him (yuck), and has to tell her "No really, I lost that loving feeling like 30 years ago, ewww! I just thought it would be funny and wondered if Baby Goose could play the piano....have you seen Jennifer Connelly? Razz " Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Comments from a F18 pilot. Confirms via his contacts that the flight sequences are real and not CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KfFOHMeqs

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Comments from a F18 pilot. Confirms via his contacts that the flight sequences are real and not CGI.

No way an F18 flew vertically into that two ship. I'm sure his contacts didn't lie but pilots involved in filming this haven't seen the movie to know whats in it.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:

No way an F18 flew vertically into that two ship. I'm sure his contacts didn't lie but pilots involved in filming this haven't seen the movie to know whats in it.

Regular flying, you're right. For movie making... Roll Eyes He did explain some flying scenes were a lot closer than normal for the sake of showing up in the camera frame.

His former co-host was involved in the filming before he got orders elsewhere. Will be interesting to hear once the movie comes out what was involved.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this looks really good, this last trailer definitely got my nostalgia flowing.

I'm pretty sure I can map out the entire plot, but whatever, looks fun.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Viper (Tom Skerritt) was 53 in Top Gun and no one questioned why he was still flying.
Doesn’t Tom Cruise look like he had plastic surgery?

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, we will get cool flying but it also looks like they are rebooting the home-erotic sweaty beach sports montage

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regular flying, you're right. For movie making... Roll Eyes

And? For fuksake man, look at the alternatives. Some flying man in a robot suit with AC DC playing in the background, with laser cannons in his hands? I’m convinced people will just shit on everything. We actually get something cool and a break from men in tights #29, or Star Wars Social Justice #3 and people complain. Like the original Top Gun was a documentary Roll Eyes Canopy to canopy inverted with a MIG 28.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Regular flying, you're right. For movie making... Roll Eyes

And? For fuksake man, look at the alternatives. Some flying man in a robot suit with AC DC playing in the background, with laser cannons in his hands? I’m convinced people will just shit on everything. We actually get something cool and a break from men in tights #29, or Star Wars Social Justice #3 and people complain. Like the original Top Gun was a documentary Roll Eyes Canopy to canopy inverted with a MIG 28.

Who's complaining?
It's been pointed out, possibly real, done for a movie.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I'll check this film out, but that second trailer looks kinda cold and antiseptic to me. It's that modern movie look - maybe it's because of the digital cameras used, or that contemporary love of desaturated colors and orange-blue color grading. Perhaps it's because it's helmed by the director of futuristic tech thrillers like Oblivion and Tron 2.

I guess I can't help but compare it to prime '80s Tony Scott, with his music video slo-mo etherealness, massive graduated sunset filters, and super saturated colors and contrast as old school 35mm film would capture. It's weird and disconcerting to see my nostalgic youth filtered through modern art direction and editing techniques.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Another video that shows how they filmed some of the cockpit scenes:

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post