SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Nick Offerman, Laura Prepon and Sam Elliot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nick Offerman, Laura Prepon and Sam Elliot Login/Join 
posted
In The Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiKtUnI0u4U

It's one I will go see.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I wondered if any of the cast from Orange is the New Black did other film work. Not including Kate Mulgrew.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
he might very well be the same person as in his last 9 works , but thats ok

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
You forgot Krysten Ritter too. Looks like a good one to watch when it hits HBO or Shotime.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prepon deserves to get more work. She was easily the best thing on That 70s Show. But then I have a thing for tall redheads.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Looks really good. Hopefully it'll come out soon. Apparently it was released on 6/9, so AppleTV should have it fairly soon.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I wondered if any of the cast from Orange is the New Black did other film work. Not including Kate Mulgrew.

Prepon starred in That 70s Show for years, Biggs was in American Pie, Manning was in Sons of Anarchy, and Michael Harney did a great job playing a supremely angry and racist piece of shit in Deadwood, fwiw.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
Prepon deserves to get more work. She was easily the best thing on That 70s Show. But then I have a thing for tall redheads.

I just watched the trailer. Movie looks good, but why on earth did Prepon feel the need to get an apparent facelift?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I just heard a movie review on this movie by some reviewers that I tend to agree with more often than not... and the review was NOT good. Apparently the movie is not being well received either as it is doing ultra low box office takes. Disappointing as I like these actors.

Looking forward to some of your personal reviews as I'm hoping the reviewers were wrong.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Looking forward to some of your personal reviews as I'm hoping the reviewers were wrong.

Well, it's been known to happen.

I used to make it a point to go and see the movies that Siskel and Ebert hated. They were often the best ones IMO.

My guess is the critics don't like it because it's not a remake, a cartoon, or a superhero movie.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it and I liked it.
Kind of a mash up for Sam Elliot of The Dude and the Big Lebowski storyteller.

Posts: 245 | Registered: April 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

Well, it's been known to happen.

I used to make it a point to go and see the movies that Siskel and Ebert hated. They were often the best ones IMO.

My guess is the critics don't like it because it's not a remake, a cartoon, or a superhero movie.

You could well be right. However, in this case, one of the reviewers is a retired Conservative radio talk show host, the other one is a Conservative Hollywood and entertainment critic who also blogs about family life and parenting. The radio show host typically refuses going to the Summer blockbuster type action and superhero movies as well as cartoons.

Their values and backgrounds tend to shape their movie reviews.

But, I'm more than open to hearing from others who have actually seen the movie, as I really like Sam Elliot and Laura Prepon.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan at reviewers that look at movies with a biased filter or liberalism or conservatism. Is the movie good or no. It doesn't all have to be about politics or "values."

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I am not a fan at reviewers that look at movies with a biased filter or liberalism or conservatism. Is the movie good or no. It doesn't all have to be about politics or "values."

To some degree I agree with you. But, our values do tend to shape how we "see" things. For instance, I suspect that most gun owners who support gun ownership and the carrying/ using of guns for defense would not like a movie with an anti-gun story, even if it was well made and well acted. The story, and often the underlying agenda-driven message does matter in our perception.

Now, if there is no message, no agenda, and only good writing, good story, good acting, good cinematography, and good scoring, then I would agree that politics don't necessarily need to come into play. There are plenty of examples of both types of movies.

The reviewers I listened to wanted to like this movie because they liked Sam Elliot and the movies and commercials he has done over the years, but were disappointed by his acting in this one, but I need to go back and listen to the review to try to see if they had a valid and specific reason.

I'm still hoping that it was just a personal opinion based on two reviewer's personal preferences & perceptions and looking forward to SF member reviews.

posted Hide Post
The following comment contains spoilers.

It is not a bad film. It avoids the cliches of the "cancer story." See the film The Fault Is In Our Stars for the big cliches of someone getting cancer.

The Hero does not go there. Instead, it uses the unlikely character of a self-indulgent ass, who does too many drinks and drugs, to makes a point that it is never too late to change. Don't give up.

Buy the time. Try again to repair the failed relationship with the daughter although it will not be easy. Believe that the younger woman is interested, and it is not just the drugs talking.

And you can still work. It is good to work! No matter your age.

Sam Elliot pulls it off. He is not too likable, but he manages to make you care about him. Not bad.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I try my best to avoid reviews and previews for the films I see, as they all tend to show too much, and ruin whatever little bit of interesting surprise I light have otherwise gotten, and there are so few surprises nowadays, especially in big films and TV shows.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I try my best to avoid reviews and previews for the films I see, as they all tend to show too much, and ruin whatever little bit of interesting surprise I light have otherwise gotten, and there are so few surprises nowadays, especially in big films and TV shows.

You know, that's a really great point. Not so much by reviewers, but I'm always surprised but just how much movie trailers reveal about a movie. After watching many trailers I feel like I've seen enough of the movie to make up my mind whether I even want to see it... and if I do decide to see it often I already know the "hook" or the "twist" or the surprise. And this isn't a recent trend, Hollywood has been overexposing its movies in trailers for decades... and YET, they still fail to accurately portray the essence of the movie in the trailer.

Years ago I recall seeing the trailer for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and the scene where Michael Caine unexpectedly pushes Steve Martin into the water looked funny and so I decided to go see the movie. What a horrible movie...that scene was the only redeeming scene in it.

Most of the reviewers I pay attention to are careful about revealing too much plot though.