SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    World of Warcraft?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World of Warcraft? Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
I’ve always enjoyed PC games and have dabbled here and there even in adulthood. I’ve taken up WOW and like it, anyone else here play it?

Who else is a closet nerd?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've played for several years, my two boys joined & then my two daughters, eventually all had their own account.

Wife started playing about 4 years ago, so we all played together for a while before the kids all eventually grew up and lost interest.

Lot of buzz lately about Classic servers coming soon.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Never got into it myself, but watched it consume a few friends in college when it first came out. To the point of skipping class & sleep to play.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Played in college and a little after through the expansions to the lvl 90 cap or maybe the 100.

I will say it became a borderline obsession/addiction when I was in college, partly because I had so many friends playing (across the world) and partly because the game itself is just that addicting and I was doing the 40 and then 25 man raid groups. Anyways during summer one year I was taking a single class from 7-9am, I got home from class and started playing with some friends in Australia and about the time they called it quits my American friends/raid group get online and the next thing I knew my 6:30 alarm for class was going off and I'm still sitting there pounding away at the keyboard. I quit playing for over month after that which of course cost me my spot in the raid group with 4 night a week requirement and i didn't have the desire to try and get back in.

Played casually for a few more years but once all my friends started getting busy with life it just wasn't worth it as I never had a chance of playing the end game content.

That said, as soon as classic servers were announced text started flying and I reactivated my account to see a bunch of others had as well so it's been nice to catch up and see were life has taken everyone for the last 7 or 8 years.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did some raiding with a guild but worked a lot of o.t. (call-outs) which wasn't amenable to rigid scheduling.

My youngest was 9 - 10 and was tanking heroic dungeon(pick up groups) while I healed, we did a ton of that during Lich King. I spent the better part of 18 months away from the family during job changes but was able to stay in touch with the kids since we all played which was nice.

Wife has always been more of a solo player, she's pretty good but doesn't like the social pressure of formal groups much.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Never got into it myself, but watched it consume a few friends in college when it first came out. To the point of skipping class & sleep to play.

Yep. Had a neighbor in the dorm who went down that rabbit hole hard. He was an engineering major. Once WoW came out, he got hooked, and that's all he did all day long. Stopped going to class and studying, and even stopped doing stuff like laundry and showering. Failed out and didn't return the next year.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I play for a few weeks everytime a new expansion releases but I'm not a very dedicated player and have never gone raiding.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I just never got into the whole MMORPG thing, usually preferred solo style, partly due to lack of proper hardware.

I remember Dransik in the early '00s & played with some friends in high school, before it get updated from the NES Zelda style 2D look.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I hadn't really paid much attention to it previously, but WoW Classic officially released today so I thought I'd post and see if anyone was going to be playing it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
My coworkers and I have all rolled on Pagle in Classic. We’re older now, but we’re going to chip away at leveling as time permits. My retail friends run a huge family friendly guild (5 actual guilds in size) called Convert To Raid, and they have guilds on Pagle Alliance and Horde, as well as Whitemane (PVP).

If anyone has any notion to play as it was in 2005, Classic is where it’s at. If you want an invite on Pagle, email me and we can work out a time to connect and get you an invite.

I love the old school mechanics of WOW. Smile I’m looking forward to the saunter to 60.

Edit - The queues are a HUGE pita right now. Just warning you.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Testing the waters in Classic now. Only played a couple months back around the Panda release. I logged on that Lev 72 character and remembered nothing except for the mechanical land I left it in years ago. I have no experience with Vanilla other than right now. Starter area are very camped and race/class combos are limited.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The server waits for Classic have turned me off. I never played vanilla, but I am curious to check it out.

Once the initial rush has slowed down, I think I'll check it out.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
The server waits for Classic have turned me off. I never played vanilla, but I am curious to check it out.

Once the initial rush has slowed down, I think I'll check it out.

Day 1 was 45 mins. Day 2 was 5 minutes. Basically time to get a beverage and go to the bathroom while it loads !

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post