SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert: Nightmare Alley
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert: Nightmare Alley Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Tonight at midnight and tomorrow at 10 AM, Noir Alley is airing something special in the canon of film noir- Nightmare Alley, which I referenced in this post.

This is IMO Tyrone Power's best performance, but, because the film was out of circulation for so many years, he didn't get the credit. He was very good the year before, in The Razor's Edge (with the same director, Edmund Goulding) but Power's interpretation of Maugham's Larry Darrell pales in comparison to the Great Stanton.

If you're interested in film noir, or if you're interested in great performances in 20th Century cinema, do yourself a favor and catch this film.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'll be there; thanks for the heads up.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nightmare Alley

Thanks Para. I'm not very experienced in "Film Noir". This may be an eye opener for me.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
An excellent movie, and my favorite Tyrone Power film. It’s actually surprising to me that back then the studio would have let one of their biggest stars make it. I do believe they did make him change it to a happier ending though.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It my second viewing of Nightmare Alley. Possibly the darkest story in Noir.
And Powers best role, hands down.
And the cinematography is excellent, among the best.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It'll be on Watch TCM for the next week. When I settle down to watch a film in the evening, this has become the first place I check out. I plan to watch this at least one more time.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Watched it and really enjoyed. Surprised that I have not seen it before.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next week: James Cagneys most over the top role:
White Heat
Virginia Mayo is the best gun moll, ever!
More a WB crime film than Noir, but still...

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He loves his Ma! His saving grace.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you're interested in film noir, or if you're interested in great performances in 20th Century cinema, do yourself a favor and catch this film.

We recorded it, weren't available last night but gonna watch tonight. My wife and I love Eddie Muller's "Noir Alley", he does a brilliant job. In fact, at times his long openings and closing monologues are as good as the film itself. Looking forward to it in a few hours...

Posts: 794 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I recorded this last night and watched it a little earlier.
There weren’t many likable characters.

I came across this article when looking for some information about the novel.

Filming of a remake starring Leonardo DiCaprio begins this fall.
https://variety.com/2019/film/...re-alley-1203157581/

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent performance by Tyrone Power. Interesting to see that the author ended up just like the character. I wish Zanuck left off the "happy ending". At least it did not include a successful stint in alcohol rehab.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Filming of a remake starring Leonardo DiCaprio begins this fall.
https://variety.com/2019/film/...re-alley-1203157581/
Well, that's interesting. It seems like Leonardo DiCaprio is in everything, doesn't it?

Eddie Muller and his Film Noir Foundation are responsible for renewed interest in this film. I know why Hollywood is remaking it (because they are bereft of any original ideas, and feed off of the past), but they should have chosen some other film to mimic, because despite the flawed ending, the 1947 film is still so very good, it cannot be surpassed.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eddie Muller and his Film Noir Foundation are responsible for renewed interest in this film. I know why Hollywood is remaking it (because they are bereft of any original ideas, and feed off of the past), but they should have chosen some other film to mimic, because despite the flawed ending, the 1947 film is still so very good, it cannot be surpassed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree. I can imagine Hollywood would sex up the role of the female psychologist as well and change the location to Malibu rather than Chicago. Most young people are not at all familiar with "freak shows", and carnival barkers and I am sure the GEEK would not be poliically correct. Besides people would think they are referring to Best Buy Tech support.

posted Hide Post
Funny, the things you remember. Many years ago, my mother and father went to see a traveling road show performance of the play, John Brown's Body. The actors included Raymond Massey and Tyrone Power. I remember my mother coming home and stating that Tyrone Power was the most handsome man she had ever seen. I wish I remembered my father's reaction to that statement.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post