SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix show ratings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix show ratings Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
What's happened? Everything is now rated three stars.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They completely did away with star ratings about a month ago. It's all thumbs up/thumbs down now.

A terrible move, in my opinion. It's much harder to judge whether a certain show is going to be worth my time now. You basically have to find a show you might be interested in, then Google it to check reviews on RottenTomatoes/IMDB/etc.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Way back they started showing the star rating as they thought it applied to you, based on your ratings given on similar content. Useless to me... I want to know how the collective viewers thought, not what Netflix guessed I would think.
I went in and deleted all my ratings and never rated a show again and it corrected it... till now, I guess they figured out they screwed up and are trying to fix it.
I'm not using the thumbs up / down either. I don't want them deciding what I might like.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I never liked their ratings anyway, though I doubt these will be any better,

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
No how will the wife identify those one and two star scary movies?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the thumbs up/down apply to you only? So that Netflix can make recommendations based on your likes and dislikes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
They removed it after Amy Schumer's latest special was voted down to 1 star, which was caused by an internet prank.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ratings are meaningless for the most part. People will tear down something good for a minor nitpick or gush over something that should never have been given the green light.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
They removed it after Amy Schumer's latest special was voted down to 1 star, which was caused by an internet prank.

That seems to coincide with when it changed... but internet prank? The show was just not very good, and I'm being generous with that adjective.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Amy Shumer, when I saw the new system had her show rated as a 93% match for me, I knew the system was crap. Would never watch that. I wish they would go back to the star system.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rebel-22:
Speaking of Amy Shumer, when I saw the new system had her show rated as a 93% match for me, I knew the system was crap. Would never watch that. I wish they would go back to the star system.

If you watch or thumbs up ANY stand up comedy, you will be a 90%+ match with it.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

Maybe it was a site glitch? It seems to be back to normal for me.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

Maybe it was a site glitch? It seems to be back to normal for me.

Yep, back to how it used to be. Almost everything I look at is 4 1/2 to 5 stars.

-D.H. Lawrence