SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post your favorite island tunes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite island tunes Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
Trying to increase my collection of island tunes. I really like these two songs. Anybody know of similar stuff?

Posts: 11142 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
If you're taking Island music you have to include Brudda Iz, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.
https://youtu.be/iqF5AvERMNg

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Like this?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43777 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Don't know if either of these appeal to ya, but:

Something old -

And something new -

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Henry Kapono - Dukes on Sunday - Waikiki Outrigger Beach Resort

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPOaxp295SY

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are a dozen or so Hawaiian music sites on youtube that last an hour or two each ,
its by far the best music to listen to while surfing the web or going through search stuff.

its nice when they throw in just a little bit of some steel drums. but I can do with out it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54466 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kokomo. The Muppet version.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15974 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
All good songs, but 46and2's is the closest to what I'm looking for. Stuff that makes you want to get up and dance.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Skull, I have been down your path just on opposite style of a more classic sounding reggae vs. the new rap/reggae mix. Unfortunately its very hit or miss through artists. The easiest way to find songs is through songza/pandora or something like that. Drop in 46n2's song and write down the list as you go. Unfortunately you will have to kiss alot of frogs.

I did a search on Napster/Rhapsody of similar artists to the ones listed and none show up but they do show up in the "world/reggae" category. What I have found is ALOT of songs you are looking fall into the latin category see Don Omar below.

Matisyahu - still not close to what you want but not bad

OMI - more reggae/pop, than reggae/rap

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGflUbPQfW8

Steel Pulse - more towards the old school classic reggae with a little bit of flare

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/FphO_5BZuKk

Iriefuse is another but its more towards the flavor of Magic! and pop.

Latin flavor dance music

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/7zp1TbLFPp8

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, a few days of a few Pandora stations based on the tracks you like is easiest. I often create a new Pandora station based on a new (to me) song and mine the related tracks it suggests. Equally often I never use that station again, beyond the research phase.

Also, there's lots of crossover, so you'd need to explore Reggae, Dub, DanceHall, Ska, Rock Steady, Reggaeton, and everything in between, which spans from Bob Marley to Rhianna to Particle to Maddness to Dubconscious to Shaggy to a zillion others. Lot of gems all over.

Good luck.

Rockamovya is like an all-star, side project, band in those circles, related to Groundation and a few individual artists. I like the whole album, but maybe 3-4 tracks are really stand outs. Bands like Dubconscious and Particle are more jam band centric, but similar...

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Anything and everything Bob Marley did!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3757 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
It's been Pandora non grata around here for a long time.

I looked on Spotify. I'm not familiar with what you're looking for but searching "island dance music" gives a number of playlists to look through that might have ideas.

The nice thing about these lists is someone else has already done the work instead of having to go song by song in pandora

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5641 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I dont Pandora either since they went political a few years back. But I pay for rhapsody/napster. Still strange to say napster again... lol.

46n2 are we long lost twins or what? Bourbon... reggae...

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Leon Russell "Back to the Island".

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4004 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
The original Gilligan's Island Theme from the pilot episode.

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I basically only use Pandora as a tool to discover new music based on specific things I like, and they are exceptionally good at it. Hardly ever just to listen to it anymore for the sake of listening, I have my own collection for that which is generally lossless and doesn't require connectivity or chew up finite data allowances.

I've never paid them a dime and don't care about their politics, yet they've helped me find dozens of artists and songs I'd never heard before, which is no small task for a music nerd like me. I just browse my Favorites/ThumbsUps from time to time and go grab the songs themselves at stores/online, add them to my collection and move on. Sometimes I go weeks, even months, without using it, but over the last many years it's been fantastic.

I had no idea they had any drama or haters - so to speak. (shrug)

quote:
long lost twins

brothers from another mother

Smile