SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movies that changed the way movies are made...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies that changed the way movies are made... Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
What are, in your opinion, the movies that heavily influenced how movies were made or expected to look (aesthetics, realism, etc.) after they first appeared?

First that comes to mind is Kubrik's 2001: Space Odissey.
Followed by R. Scott's Blade runner.
Saving Private Ryan was also a game changer IMO.
Texas Chainsaw massacre defined the gore genre, pretty much.
The Matrix maybe?
I give credit to the Scott brothers for the broadstrokes of what action movies look after the 70s/80s but that is just my personal opinion.

What say you?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Jurassic Park.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'd also have to include Star Wars.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
For those of us who saw the "original" Star Wars in 1977...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blade Runner.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Can't really put my finger on exactly how Alien changed movie making, but I suspect it did in terms of sci-fi suspense. Aliens was also groundbreaking, and I still see it's influences today.

I think it was Misery that started the "you think the bad guy/girl is dead, but they're not!" trend, but could be wrong. Of course, it could have been The Terminator that really started it.

Edit: Fatal Attraction came before Misery. I never watched it, but seem to recall it had a seemingly unkillable protagonist.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bullitt - changed the way car chase scenes were to be recorded and is considered the most influential car chase.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Can't really put my finger on exactly how Alien changed movie making, but I suspect it did in terms of sci-fi suspense. Aliens was also groundbreaking, and I still see it's influences today.

"Alien" introduced gritty SF, as opposed to the squeaky-clean high-tech universes à la "Star Trek" or "2001" (or space opera like "Star Wars"). Though I once raised eyebrows when claiming in a movie seminar at uni that Ridley Scott seemed to have been influenced by the visuals and score of "2001".

"The Night of the Living Dead" definitely changed the horror genre. Then there are the early textbook examples - Fritz Lang's "Nosferatu" and "Metropolis", and by comparison rather obscure, "The Andalusian Dog" by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali. Only 16 minutes long, a largely plotless sequence of surreal scenes, but can be said to have introduced gore with the famous montage where a razor seems to cut into a woman's eye.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Citizen Kane" and "Magnificent Ambersons" - Orson Wells.

Fast pace, great camera angles, excellent direction. Wells pissed off the Movie Moguls with his style, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wings. (the 1927 original)

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I would say Heat with its realistic sounding gunfire on the streets of LA. But I’ve heard a lot of movies since that have a lot of fake gunshot sound effects.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Citizen Kane.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
"A Fistful of Dollars" was the Eurowestern to change the genre even in the US. "Pulp Fiction", while not Tarantino's first movie, was certainly style-forming.

Not to forget that "The Blair Witch Project" triggered a flood of "found footage" movies.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Life of an American Fireman 1903 - first coherent use of film editing

The Great Train Robbery 1903 - complex narrative film-making

Don Juan 1926 - first synchronized soundtrack

The Jazz Singer 1927 - first human voice in a motion picture film (discounting experimental and promotional shorts, and brief, incidental occurences, such as in Murnau's Sunrise)

Becky Sharp 1935 -first three strip Technicolor motion picture film (discounting experimental and promotional shorts). Earlier color films (two strip Technicolor and the like) did not produce natural color

Fantasia 1940 -first stereophonic soundtrack

The Robe 1953 -first widescreen motion picture

A Star is Born 1976 - first use of Dolby multichannel soundtrack

Rainbow 1996 - first motion picture shot digitally and in High Definition

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toy Story....first movie to completely use computer generated animation

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs....first feature length animated movie

Jaws...started the Summer blockbuster movement, and emphasized the importance of when movies are released and target audiences

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Some may disagree, but I think Saving Private Ryan introduced a gritty combat realism, especially with the D-Day landing scenes, that nobody had ever seen before. There were guys who were actually there on the landings that survived and watched the film and had flashbacks and said that all it was missing were the smells. Yes, we've seen blood and gore and people shot in movies for decades. But for me, that was a turning point in movies featuring that sort of content matter.

Braveheart, I would nominate as another one for similar reasons.

* Edit- 11k posts. Damn, tempus fugit.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with many here. One I can think of off the top of my head, and there may be others like it made prior, but I see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid as a guy/buddy movie that set a tone for future buddy movies.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'The Exorcist' took horror films to another level

also -- as mentioned 'Jurassic Park' holds up well as one of the first major films to do CGI so realistically

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Jaws...started the Summer blockbuster movement, and emphasized the importance of when movies are released and target audiences
Yes. Luke Skywalker's father is not Darth Vader. His father is a 25 foot shark.
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
One I can think of off the top of my head, and there may be others like it made prior, but I see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid as a guy/buddy movie that set a tone for future buddy movies.
Yes, it's easy to forget this after 50 years, but you are correct.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Birth of a Nation

Citizen Kane

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post