SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movies that changed the way movies are made...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies that changed the way movies are made... Login/Join 
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Jaws did start the summer blockbuster movement, but the very first blockbuster was Tom Laughlin's Billy Jack. Although the term "blockbuster" has come to mean a film with high revenue during inital opening, it's original definition is a movie with same-day release in different markets. It was a bold move especially for an independent film-maker.

(This is more of a change in the way movies are marketed vs. how they are made, but related.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The Blair Witch Project ignited the whole "found footage" sub-genre.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Some may disagree, but I think Saving Private Ryan introduced a gritty combat realism, especially with the D-Day landing scenes, that nobody had ever seen before.

I don't think anyone would disagree. The influence of SPR with subjective camera, washed-out colors, focused flying dirt and realistic bullet effects has been clear in subsequent combat movies like "Black Hawk Down" etc., and even movies of pre-modern war like "Gladiator" (minus the bullet effects, obviously).

Here's another early one: "A Trip to the Moon" (1902) by Georges Méliès, pioneer of many narrative and technical developments in cinema. He made over 500 movies (mostly in a period where they were typically just a few minutes long), and the ones losely based upon Jules Vernes stories like this one can be said to have established the science fiction genre, with the first special effects. Even if you have never seen any of them, you probably have seen them referenced in later works as different as music videos by the Smashing Pumpkins and Scorsese's 2011 "Hugo".

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Well George Lucas changed movie history by running the credits at the end rather than the beginning. Star Wars was the first and he was fined $100k for that move.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
Well George Lucas changed movie history by running the credits at the end rather than the beginning. Star Wars was the first and he was fined $100k for that move.

Movies with strictly closing credits predate Star Wars by several decades, with the first major example being 1956's Around the World in 80 Days. Star Wars was not the first by any means. And I cannot find any evidence of Lucas being fined $100k for following that already established practice with Star Wars.

However, there was an issue with the Directors Guild over directorial credits on the 2nd film, for which Lucas paid a $25k fine (and then quit the guild):

https://www.cbr.com/empire-str...cas-opening-credits/

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about "The Wild Bunch" (1969) and "Bonnie and Clyde" (1967)? Both had higher than ever levels of bloody gunfights.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I don't know that there were any particular innovations, but it seems to me King Kong (1933) was the impetus for movies featuring giant "monsters." I would guess it also was a driver for the use of stop motion.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Matrix redefined action movies, then John Wick redefined them again.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No mention of Die Hard? It started the whole 80s lone hero against insurmountable odds action genre that continues today.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
No mention of Die Hard? It started the whole 80s lone hero against insurmountable odds action genre that continues today.

First Blood ?? (1982) sorta a hero...

Nothing is over ! You just don't turn it off ! Big Grin

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

First Blood ?? (1982) sorta a hero...

Nothing is over ! You just don't turn it off ! Big Grin

------------------------------------

Well, yes, same basic theme, but FB was a different style, much darker. Great movie, and again different from even its own sequels.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
How the heck did Avatar change jack? It was the same overdone storyline in multiple other movies, but with more colorful, higher def CGI.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World started the outrageous, over the top, comedy extravaganza.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How about Marlon Brando's emotive performance in A Streetcar Named Desire heralding in method acting? Stiff, stagey line deliveries weren't going to cut it any more.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
One I can think of off the top of my head, and there may be others like it made prior, but I see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid as a guy/buddy movie that set a tone for future buddy movies.
Yes, it's easy to forget this after 50 years, but you are correct.

Bing Crosby and Bob Hope's Road to series of movies would be early buddy movies, although those could be construed as motion picture stage acts. Popular though...

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I noticed that Aliens (already mentioned) changed the way small combat units were portrayed. Lots of personality, but still a cohesive fighting unit. Every one since seemed a carbon copy.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I believe Freebie and the Bean is considered they first "cop buddy" movie that started the genre, but I don't know that it changed the way movies were made. Unless you're talking about cop movies. Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I dunno but what was the beginning of CGI being shoved up our ass ~ Avatar?

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Wizard of Oz and Gone With The Wind need to be on this list. I know there were other movies produced in color before them, and the Technicolor process had been around for a while before then, and obviously black and white films persisted for quite some time afterwards, but it seems to me like that was a big turning point for many films being produced in full color.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I dunno but what was the beginning of CGI being shoved up our ass ~ Avatar?

Free Willy! Big Grin

Actually, it was probably Jurassic Park. It had just never been done to that degree before, or that well.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post