SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    For the Scots amongst us
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the Scots amongst us Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
A movie recounting the interrogation of the one female compatriot who participated in the Christmas 1950 return of the Stone of Destiny to Scotland.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool.

I was reading about the heist just now and one key moment in the story involves a meet up at Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey, which is an interesting place I'd forgotten about since college. The following people (and many more) are buried in Poet's Corner:

* Chaucer - best known for The Canterbury Tales
* Tennyson - "Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all"
* actor Laurence Olivier
* Rudyard Kiplin - The Jungle Book and Gunga Din
* Charles Dickens - A Christmas Carol, Great Expectations...
* William Shakespeare - needs no introduction
* Lord Byron - Don Juan

There are lots of goofy things about England and the UK but it's certainly rich with history, being so much older than we are, and for whatever reason lots of Europe seems more drawn to the arts, culturally, than we do here in America.

Anyway - interesting historical tangent.

Thanks for the reminder.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post