SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Godfather - coming to theaters in June
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Godfather - coming to theaters in June Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Film deteriorates over time. A transformation to digital was inevitable. From a purists point of view, though, as little as possible should be done to alter the film from its original form. Remixing the audio helps sell DVDs but if you're asking my opinion, they should have cleaned up the film but left the audio alone.

Regarding the lack of accurate reproduction of shadows, I don't know if this is inherent in WB's restoration, or if it is an artifact of the digital projection process.

Hell, Stanley Kubrick used a monaural audio track as late as 1987 in Full Metal Jacket. Did anyone feel shortchanged in watching that film? I didn't, not a bit, and it's the director's choice.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
So it sounds like, you aren't saying this isn't a case of "you can't go home again" but rather they attempted to improve it with newer technology when they should have just left it as it was.

To be truthful, digital projection improves the bottom line for exhibitors.

35mm projectors of yesteryear needed constant maintenance (ideally). Xenon bulbs for film projectors were less efficient than modern day digital projectors; their half-lives were considerably less and bulbs were extremely expensive. If one was lucky enough to see a film in a house with a changeover system (2 projectors interweaving 2000' reels using a skilled projectionist), audiences saw a film with less scratches than a platter system.

Now with digital, no more film delivery companies, no more projectionists. I still miss film, which did a better job with low light scenes and fast movements of the camera, IMO. I also remember the old days when I would visit a friend who was a projectionist and see a pair of Peerless Magnarc carbon arc projectors, cans of films, oil cans, and burnt carbon rods on the floor. It was a marriage of the mechanical and magic. I miss it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I see this thread began in 2017…here we are in 2022 with this update….

Watch the Restored Trailer for ‘The Godfather’ Ahead of Its 50th Anniversary Release

Paramount has released a new trailer for the restored version. The restoration included 1,000 hours of color correction and restoration of the original mono tracks, in addition to 4,000 hours of repairing stains and tears.

I’ve got tickets for Thursday, Feb 24th…very very much looking forward to this. Taking my teenage son with me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
...and restoration of the original mono tracks,
Well, no shit. Somebody with brains is on the job. But, it's still not going to be a projected 35mm print, which is what it should be, and I don't care how many colors they correct or how many scratches they remove- if they don't get that digital noise out of Gordon Willis' deep shadows, they still won't have it right.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Sitting in the theatre. Starts in 5 minutes; very much looking forward to it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The shadows - are the shadows black as midnight? No noise at all. The total absence of light. If not, they still haven't got it right.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The shadows - are the shadows black as midnight? No noise at all. The total absence of light. If not, they still haven't got it right.

Para,

We went to an AMC theatre that started the previews by showing off their new “Black” technology. A split screen showing the black we are used to (that really dark grey) vs. their new “black” screen. It was pretty cool.

That said, as we were driving home tonight I asked my 19 year old son what he thought about the movie for his second time through, and on the big screen. His response, at no prompting from me, “I loved how they used the shadows to create suspense”. We talked more about it and we both thought this this final scene was incredibly impactful. With their black suits on, Michael and team’s heads just kinds of appeared out of … the shadows?

The 3 hours flew by, I have not seen this in the theater in decades, so this was really a great experience; especially to have one of my son’s with me as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I thought this was a pretty good read and wanted to share…

The Godfather - A deep focus review

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
Saw the movie today at the matinee of the AMC theater. There were only 2 people in the theater. It was like having my own private showing.

I first saw the movie in 1972 on the same day that I received my driver’s license. Since then I have seen the movie at least 20+ times. It is my favorite movie. Simonetta Stefanelli (Apollonia) is an extremely beautiful woman and her wedding night scene was an eye opener for a very sheltered 16 year old.

Today’s screening: they got the black areas and shadows perfect. Men's suits in particular seem to be extremely sharp. Close ups were extremely sharp. The hallway scenes in the hospital were particularly well rendered. On the other hand the panoramic scenes lacked sharpness and were slightly fuzzy.

What I really appreciated was the sound. I noticed several background sounds that I never heard on DVD. For example water bubbling in an aquarium or the ticking of an antique clock. The sound of Enzo’s, the baker, footsteps through the hospital hallway were chilling.

Plan to re-watch the film in a couple of days. It is a masterpiece of filmmaking.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Enzo’s footsteps. Thank you for reminding me, even though I knew it was him, I was still holding my breath.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ