Notify
Tools

Dune Login/Join 
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
i prefer classical music when reading
this looks promising,though
been 30+ years since i have read the book, maybe time for another glance at it

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 1996 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Looks promising; could have been a little bit spicier.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Good luck getting better than that David Lynch version.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
This one has got thopters that thopt!

Looks like it might actually do the Dune story justice.

I still say someone like HBO or Amazon ought to do a series. The Sci Fi Channel one had potential, but I felt like they looked at David Lynch's Dune and saw it was weird and decided they needed to try and be weirder than David Lynch, which is always a losing proposition.

Agreed on all points. This looks promising, but a six or eight hour series would capture more. It is a huge story.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
for anyone interested, I found the SciFi series on Youtube, I think it is in 3 parts

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a watch for sure. I found the original interesting but I think I watched it too late in life to not consider it a product of its time. I like Villanueves other movies and I like the actors I recognize from the trailer. Whenever they reopen my theater I'll be there.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
so after finding the SciFi series on youtube, I watched it,

it was a bit odd to me, mostly due the the effects

I thought Ian McNeice was horrible as Baron Harkonnen, (maybe because I see him as Burt Large from Doc Martin)

enjoyed it, but not as much as the first movie,

I may re read the book again before the new one is released,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

This looks promising, but a six or eight hour series would capture more. It is a huge story.

It's going to be in two movies, and if Blade Runner 2049 is any indication, total length should be in the 6 hour area. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
so after finding the SciFi series on youtube, I watched it,

it was a bit odd to me, mostly due the the effects

I thought Ian McNeice was horrible as Baron Harkonnen, (maybe because I see him as Burt Large from Doc Martin)

enjoyed it, but not as much as the first movie,

I may re read the book again before the new one is released,

Yeah, I like the miniseries better than Lynch's because it is closer to the book ("weirding modules"? Really???) but the production values kinda sucked. Eastern European CGI is kinda lacking and the matte painting sets...ugh.LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
BR2049 wasn't so long that it was unenjoyable to watch. But a series would be better for a subject as complex as the universe of Dune.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Well, now this is postponed until October 2021 - if there's a theater left to show it in!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
Well, now this is postponed until October 2021 - if there's a theater left to show it in!

A full year? Wow!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:

I think the kids say "big mad".

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
And the Hollywood losers are crying for a bailout while refusing to release any of these films this year... Roll Eyes

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If you have HBO Max, Dune will be available at 3p PST / 6pm EST today.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I got tickets for a Sunday matinee. I am psyched, and really hope it is good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
If you have HBO Max, Dune will be available at 3p PST / 6pm EST today.

Yup, I'll be watching it...can't help myself.

But I still intend to see it at the IMAX theater (likely next week) and see it was it was intended to be seen

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have a Dolby Cinema in the house (HT) so the Imax shots will be full screen on my big screen. Should be in Atmos as well so tonight is going to be something I have literally been waiting years on. Knowing Denis, will probably watch 2-3 times over the weekend and buy the 4k disc as soon as it is released.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
And remember it is only part 1 of the story.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Watched the trailer last night. Looked like it could be pretty good. Will definitely watch.

It's been years and years, decades, since either my wife or I read the books. So they can probably muck it up pretty badly and we'd be "I don't recall this, but..."

I do recall being underwhelmed by the 1984 movie.

[Addressing a couple comments from a year ago...]

quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Not me. I just finally managed to finish it two years ago after about six attempts.

That almost describes me perfectly. I finally finished reading it on the 3rd or 4th attempt...

Again: It's been a long time since I read original Dune Trilogy, but if I recall correctly: Dune was an engaging read. ISTR Dune Messiah and Children of Dune getting rather ploddy. ISTR essentially forcing myself to finish the trilogy, simply to be done with it.

But, as I wrote: It's been quite a while...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post