Find
Notify
Tools

Dune Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted
The trailer fo the new Dune movie is out. So my question is: How many of us read the Dune books while listening to Pink Floyd? I know I did! Cool

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Not me. I just finally managed to finish it two years ago after about six attempts. I finished it because I felt that I needed to as a sci-fi superfan, but am going no further.

Me, I'm a Heinleiner.

P.S. and I am aware that the song on the trailer is PFTW, I just wasn't into Dune, well . . . ever but especially when I was at a age when I would have been listening to PF.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
This one has got thopters that thopt!

Looks like it might actually do the Dune story justice.

I still say someone like HBO or Amazon ought to do a series. The Sci Fi Channel one had potential, but I felt like they looked at David Lynch's Dune and saw it was weird and decided they needed to try and be weirder than David Lynch, which is always a losing proposition.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Interested, but I'm honestly trying to not be too hopeful. Hollywood's track record seriously blows lately.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have high hopes for this adaptation... Story will be told in two parts IIRC, already a big Denis Villeneuve fan and the cast is top notch

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I liked the SciFi version, but this one looks a LOT better.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I like that actor, don't know his name but he was in "king" I think it was called and enjoyed his performance.

Dune is one of my guilty pleasures, I read it and watch it yearly if not more.

I'll go see this with high hopes.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
This is Denis’ life work, according to him. Something he has wanted to make for decades. He directed Sicario and Blade Runner 2049. In an interview he described his new film “Star Wars for adults”. This is my most anticipated film since Blade Runner 2049, and that film was a masterpiece and a reference in both PQ and audio. It rattles every speaker in my HT, especially the subs. Really looking forward to the Dolby Vision/Atmos (Dolby Cinema) 4k disc release. Will pre-order to buy.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
I like that actor, don't know his name but he was in "king" I think it was called and enjoyed his performance.

Timothée Chalamet

Hopefully, they don't overly fixate on Paul Altredies inner monologue and becomes more of an emo-type character.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll keep my hopes for this effort pretty subdued; that way I won't be quite so disappointed if it too fails to capture the character and texture of the novel. Dune remains at the top of my all-time favorite sci-fi stories, though I preferred Asimov's, Heinlein's, Bradbury's and the Niven/Pournelle tandem's bodies of work a bit more than Herbert's own.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll have to give a watch.

quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I still say someone like HBO or Amazon ought to do a series.

No argument from me. They've turned out some top-notch stuff and it's not like there isn't tons of material to work with here.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Not me. I just finally managed to finish it two years ago after about six attempts. I finished it because I felt that I needed to as a sci-fi superfan, but am going no further.

That almost describes me perfectly. I finally finished reading it on the 3rd or 4th attempt...because I felt I had t read it as a super-fan. This would have been 15-20 years ago; my efforts spanned 2 decades or so.

I do look forward to seeing the movie. Universe- and world-building-wise, it is epic.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
A little known history of the book..

Chilton Books, a well-established publisher known for its business-to-business magazines and automotive manuals was the first to publish this book.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Lynch's version was the first Dune anything that I ever saw, so not having anything to compare it to, I liked it. Still do. I did finally sat down and read the book a while back, but it was a tough read. Took me a long time to get through it. I have no interest in reading any of the other Dune books. The SciFi version was OK too, just different than what I'd seen before. I still watch the Lynch version whenever I find it playing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expert308,

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Lynch's version what the first Dune anything that I ever saw, so not having anything to compare it to, I liked it. Still do. I did finally sat down and read the book a while back, but it was a tough read. Took me a long time to get through it. I have no interest in reading any of the other Dune books. The SciFi version was OK too, just different than what I'd seen before. I still watch the Lynch version whenever I find it playing.

I'm with you on this. I don't know if I will bother to watch the new one, mostly due to disappointment with hollywood these days. I like Lynch's version, and watched it after reading the book. I liked it, because it captured enough of the book to get the flavor, but didn't get lost in the details.

I think that anyone watching the movie without at least an understanding of the book is at a real disadvantage. Even a graphic novel or comic book lever understanding of the Dune universe makes a movie make a LOT more sense.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

Me, I'm a Heinleiner.

P.S. and I am aware that the song on the trailer is PFTW, I just wasn't into Dune, well . . . ever but especially when I was at a age when I would have been listening to PF.

fellow Heinleiner,

would really really like to see a Movie or Mini Series done of Stranger in a Strangeland,

also a fan of Asimov (rereading Foundation (all 3) now, )

and a fan of Niven, and his works with assorted partners (a treasure trove of good books that should be movies,,, )

however the post is about Dune,

read it in high school, then after college,

I did have PFTW on Vinyl then, but was listening to more DEVO, Numan and Costello,,,

took a friend that was into Dune and Herbert as much as I was to the movie when it came out (1983?), and loved it,

trailer looks excellent,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Wow... trailer looks good.

Cast is chocked full of SJW's but if they can keep to the story, it looks promising. The SciFi mini series was pretty good at following the story.

As for the books - loved Dune, but the sequels became harder and harder to read.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
From the trailer, it looks like they are trying to stay pretty faithful to the book (and the visual effects look pretty good). As a fan of the book, I think that's probably a good thing and I'm hopeful it will be a good movie.

Despite being a fan of the book and having read it multiple times before ever seeing the David Lynch movie, I actually really enjoy Lynch's Dune.

Having watched the "Jodorowsky's Dune" documentary, I think it's really a shame that one never got made, although the movie would have had virtually nothing to do with the book.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I'm a pretty big fan of Bladerunner 2049, so I will totally give this a watch.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The trailer is promising.

The expectations are set to that which one should expect for a Dune movie....

so they have an opportunity to impress me.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post