New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thor Ragnarok Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Watched it today and loved it. Breath of fresh air for the character. H's a fantastical character so it lends itself to being more lighthearted. Hard to do a dark, gritty and realistic movie with the god of thunder. They tried it with Superman and failed miserably.

The first Thor worked because it was a funny fish out of water story. The second movie failed because it took itself seriously.

It was very 80s, right down to the unlimited ammo cheat code being enabled. That was a very big 80s trope.

Not to mention the dust cover stayed closed the whole time, I noticed that immediately

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
My daughters and I watched it on Friday and absolutely loved it! A great combination of story, humor, action, and good music. Smile

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Very fun movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
and good music.

Oh yeah!!!!!!

I finally got "Take Me Home Country Roads" and "Word Up" from "The Kingsmen: The Golden Circle" out of my head.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I think the producers of superhero movies like Avengers (1) and Thor Ragnarok understand people want to have fun with their superheroes instead of trying to make movies too dark.

Terrible Marvel movies of recent memory in no particular order:
Thor (2), Avengers: Ultron, Iron Man 3, Fant4stic*, Hulk (Eric Bana)*, Fantastic 4 (1&2)*

Mediocre Marvel movies:
Thor (1), Ant Man, CA: Winter Soldier, The Incredible Hulk (Ed Norton)

Good Marvel Movies:
CA (3), Guardians (2), Iron Man 2

Fantastic Marvel movies (Fun to Rewatch):
Iron Man (1), Avengers (1), Thor: Ragnarok; Guardians (1)

There is definitely a different tone with the ones regarded higher.

*Not set in the current Marvel Cinematic Universe due to their extremely poor reception.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was mediocre while The Winter Soldier and Civil War were fantastic.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1. I thought so too.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I thought winter soldier was great. It, along with iron man, ant man, and the original guardians are my favorite marvel movies...add ragnarok to that list now too

I thought Civil War sucked

It was great eye candy but the whole mess could have been avoided by this one sentence

"Ok, Bucky, you say you're innocent. You stay here. Tony, you and I can go check this out, we'll be back in a few.

And then the end

"Haha! I have manipulated you this whole time! Now that I have told you how I have manipulated you, this is how I will manipulate you further!"

And what happens? They do exactly what the bad guy told them he was going to have them do

It was like the story planners sat down and said

"Ok, so we have to have this big fight between all the characters, and we have to have iron man and captain America fight at the end, now let's see how we can make that happen. What? The story is implausible as hell? Meh, who cares, we get eye candy! And giant ant man! And spider man!"

A lot of the marvel movies have suffered from this...don't even get me started on the first Thor.

Guardians 2 was the same problem. It was like they crowd sourced the damn story...."ok, so what did you like? Drax acting silly and not like the destroyer? Ok more silly drax...and what, hmm? Star Lord and Rocket arguing? Ok more of that...and huh? Dancing Groot at the end of guardians 1? Well here's 10 whole minutes of that!!!"

Ugh...terrible

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Winter Soldier was awesome I thought. They really showed the capability of Captain America.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I hated it. I like occasional humor, but they tried to turn the entire movie into a giant laugh-fest. I lost interest right at the 'opera of Lokis death' scene (in other words, right after the opening title sequence). It's basically a cinematic version of "The Orville" - not serious enough for a real drama, too serious for a straight-up comedy. The humor in Guardians I (I hate II) and Ant Man was MUCH more appropriate.

The dialog was horrible most of the time, especially Jeff Goldblum's parts. Hella had potential, but the execution of her plot line was a huge let down. Honestly, the trailer was better than the entire movie.

The worst part is I have to see it again (watched it with a nephew yesterday but my wife wants to see it, too). . . Frown

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I hated it. I like occasional humor, but they tried to turn the entire movie into a giant laugh-fest.

<snip>

The humor in Guardians I (I hate II) and Ant Man was MUCH more appropriate.

I thought it was decent, but not nearly as good as the first Thor. The part with Doctor Strange felt really strange, too.

I think you're right on the humor, too. I enjoyed both of those movies much more than this one.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The first Thor had great acting (for a superhero movie) and the characters were awesome...loved them all...the warriors 3 (who deserved better than they got in rahnarok), Sif, Loki, Jane, the scientists, were all written perfectly to compliment but not distract from the main story...you got a connection to all of them, without losing sight of the main character

But the story sucked balls

Thor I have found you unworthy to wield Mjolnir and cast you out of Asgard to Midgard where you will learn humility!!!!,

And it takes....

An afternoon

Not even 24 hours

And he is worthy again

He basically comes to earth, gets the hots for Natalie Portman (and who the fuck doesn't?), tries coffee, gets drunk with a weird Swedish scientist

And viola!

Worthy again

(And yes I know it's a lot about his willingness to sacrifice himself blah blah blah...but a being who lives for thousands of years and who has been fucking around for centuries to get cast out redeems himself in a day...

.and it wouldn't have even been that hard...10 minutes scenes that show him as a regular dude being humbled in the world until he finally finds the town where Mjolnir was..that's it...and it's more believable)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I think the producers of superhero movies like Avengers (1) and Thor Ragnarok understand people want to have fun with their superheroes instead of trying to make movies too dark.

Terrible Marvel movies of recent memory in no particular order:
Thor (2), Avengers: Ultron, Iron Man 3, Fant4stic*, Hulk (Eric Bana)*, Fantastic 4 (1&2)*

Mediocre Marvel movies:
Thor (1), Ant Man, CA: Winter Soldier, The Incredible Hulk (Ed Norton)

Good Marvel Movies:
CA (3), Guardians (2), Iron Man 2

Fantastic Marvel movies (Fun to Rewatch):
Iron Man (1), Avengers (1), Thor: Ragnarok; Guardians (1)

There is definitely a different tone with the ones regarded higher.

*Not set in the current Marvel Cinematic Universe due to their extremely poor reception.

Ummm forgot someone.....

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
And it takes....

An afternoon

Not even 24 hours

And he is worthy again

Hey if you spent an afternoon and evening with Natalie Portman, would you be worthy afterwards? I know I damn sure would be! Wink

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I hated it. I like occasional humor, but they tried to turn the entire movie into a giant laugh-fest. I lost interest right at the 'opera of Lokis death' scene (in other words, right after the opening title sequence). It's basically a cinematic version of "The Orville" - not serious enough for a real drama, too serious for a straight-up comedy. The humor in Guardians I (I hate II) and Ant Man was MUCH more appropriate.

The dialog was horrible most of the time, especially Jeff Goldblum's parts. Hella had potential, but the execution of her plot line was a huge let down. Honestly, the trailer was better than the entire movie.

The worst part is I have to see it again (watched it with a nephew yesterday but my wife wants to see it, too). . . Frown

Same all the way. Glad I am not alone. Out of all of Marvel's stuff....the first Thor and Dr. Strange have been the stand outs to me. The rest could be punted to disc. Those 2, Nolan's/Bale's trilogy, and WW are the only ones I've left the theater and been impressed with in the genre. I could do without the rest. Kenneth Branagh, a thespian, accomplished actor and director directed the first Thor, which is why I found it excellent. Nolan is Nolan, he's hardcore, still uses film (vs. digital) and most everything he does is a cut above. And WW, well the island, Gadot, jaded me for onviously ressons Big Grin

Thor Rag really was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm sick of the comic films. They've gone straight exploitation, trying to make every superho ever created into a film to milk that tattay some more. Skipping Justice League but I will try and see Black Panther if reviews are good since it looks a bit different and I cannot recall an African/American lead since Blade. Guardians 1 had some good humor and I generally thought it was good. Guardians 2 was shit, as was this latest Thor. Suicide Squad was decent, Deadpool less so. Different strokes.

Star Wars largely the swme for me. I thought thr JJ deal sucked but will give Disney another chance in a month. I'm hopeful with the better director (and the fact he's landed 3 more SW films already) we see a much better film. Hollyweird is just not gonna get my $ as easily in the future. Here, the XD/3D films are now almost $20 a pop for a ticket. I can buy the Blu-Ray for that. Add in the cell/smart phones, the talking, and general bullshit of the theater these days = higher standards for my money. I may just skip all the big budget stuff and stick to Oscar quality stuff like the upcoming Frances McDormand Three Billboards type films. I am not a turn your brain off, popcorn film person. The critic...

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
And it takes....

An afternoon

Not even 24 hours

And he is worthy again

Hey if you spent an afternoon and evening with Natalie Portman, would you be worthy afterwards? I know I damn sure would be! Wink

A friend met her. Circa 2001. He was just leaving the haircut place/stylist joint (He is a bit of a dandy), opens the door, and there Portman stands with small dog in tow. He held the door open for her. She was very polite, said than you with a smile. He called me not 30 seconds later "Guess who I just saw?" and was creaming his pants. I asked him why he didn't ask her out. "One time I asked Natalie Portman out" would have been a a hell of a story. It reminds me of the day I was standing behind Vanessa Marcil in 2005, in line for food at Laguna Seca. She was wearing white pants and no....She knew I was drooling and turned around and smiled big.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
We saw it last night and loved it. Thor is probably my favorite Marvel MCU character and this film was a home run for me.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It was a thoroughly enjoyable movie for me. The quips were entertaining.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I took my son to see it last night. It was the best of the Thor movies, no doubt. It was an ok movie at best, and about 45 minutes longer than what it needed to be for plot development.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
TR is now on Netflix. I'd not seen it until now. It was both entertaining and funny. To me it was very GotG, and at times also felt like The Fifth Element.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post