SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged? Login/Join 
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted
I need a new read and have these two on my shelf. I may have tried at one time to read some Ayn Rand , but haven't done so.

For those that have read both, which do you recommend?

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
They are both great. I have found that people generally prefer whichever one they read first. I have found that Atlas Shrugged is the one that has really stayed with me and that I think of far more often.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
They are both good but I will also say Atlas Shrugged would be my choice of the two. I read it for a second time in 2010 and can still vividly remember it.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Fountainhead is much shorter but I had a hard time getting into the story.
I thought Atlas Shrugged is one of the best books written.
Could have been quite a bit shorter and some parts a bit dated but it's really about human nature and that doesn't change.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
The Fountainhead is mostly about intellectual property, is a great book, and a quick read.

Atlas Shrugged when reading about 10 years ago was like turning on the news with Government trying to run private sector. Also it is about the Looters and Moochers vs the Producers.

If you can get through The Fountainhead (I read it when I was about 14) you will be able to get through Atlas Shrugged.

There are some long speeches in Atlas Shrugged from the various characters, but each one makes a very valid point.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
I preferred reading the Fountainhead.

We the Living, is also one to add to the list. Short, but that ending though...

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Atlas Shrugged, for sure.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Atlas Shrugged for me. I think I'll give it another read soon.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
The Fountainhead is mostly about intellectual property ...
... and having unwavering personal integrity.

It's less of a tome. I suggest it or Anthem first. There's always time for Atlas Shrugged.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I found The Fountainhead easier to read, but enjoyed Atlas Shrugged better in the end.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Atlas Shrugged is longer, but a better story IMO.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I preferred Atlas Shrugged.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Atlas is a long read but I enjoyed it much more than FH

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
Both are longer than "necessary"; but, they are excellent reads. I agree with someone above who suggested Anthem also.

I think every kid in this country should be required to read all three along with Animal Farm and 1984 before they are allowed to graduate from high school.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat:
Both are longer than "necessary"; but, they are excellent reads.

You can say that again. You could cut 500 pages from Atlas Shrugged without detracting from the story or the message. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post