SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite actor playing in a Comedy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite actor playing in a Comedy Login/Join 
posted
Good comedy film are few and far between. I always enjoy watching Walter Matthau in these roles. Grumpy Old Men and Cactus Flower were memorable. Who are yours?

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Always liked John Candy. So many I could let my kids watch with me. Uncle Buck comes to mind.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Don Cheadle as the straight man in The Guard.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for John Candy. But, Gene Wilder is right up there with him.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Until I think about it more, I'll throw James Garner out there. I won't include Woody Allen who made so many strong films, all of which would have been better without him in them. Except maybe "Zelig", the one perfect role made for him by him.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'd add Jim Carrey, some of his facial movements during his comedy routines cracked me up, Mask, playing Ace Ventura Pet Detective, etc

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
John Cleese. I think I've seen everything he's been in, but still, if I see a movie or series episode with him in it, I'll be tuning in.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
peter sellers in the pink panther's has to be

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Jacques Tati
Charlie Chaplin

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I'd add Jim Carrey, some of his facial movements during his comedy routines cracked me up, Mask, playing Ace Ventura Pet Detective, etc

The first Ace Ventura is one of my all time favorite movies. Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
John Candy and Chris Farley.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gotta go with Bill Murray. Stripes, Caddyshack, Groundhog's Day, Ghostbusters...

Rodney Dangerfield is a close second. Caddyshack (again), Back to School...

I gave it to Bill because of the larger volume of work.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Another John Candy fan here, he was one of the funniest guys ever.

Even though they have had some critical flops, the Broken Lizard troupe, especially Jay Chandrasekha always know how to get me laughing.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
That Asian guy in The Hangover movies cracks me up.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Somewhat confused here. Are we looking for a dramatic actor that can pull off comedy or a primarily comic actor?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
John Cleese. I think I've seen everything he's been in, but still, if I see a movie or series episode with him in it, I'll be tuning in.

John Cleese is one of the all-time great comedians in my book. He does deadpan better than most anyone. I'm sure there's probably film somehwere of him losing it during a skit, but so far, nothing comes to mind.

I'll also second John Candy, and Peter Sellers. I can't watch anything they were in without a good laugh. I think the world would be a bit better place if John Candy were still around.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Does your dog bite?

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
peter sellers in the pink panther's has to be

Sellers was genius.

Currently, George Clooney can be very good in a comedy.

Bill Murray.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Bill Murray and John Candy top my list. Right behind them are John Belushi and Chris Farley.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
I also like John Candy, Bill Murray, & also Vince Vaughn

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post