SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Games similar to DOOM or WOLF 3D for the PS4?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Games similar to DOOM or WOLF 3D for the PS4? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Bump for more options, details towards the bottom.

I’d like something like the older DOOM, WOLF 3D or even Duke Nukem games to be played on the PS4. Alternately, on the laptop if they’re not too hardware intensive as far as speed and and video cards etc. go.

Any suggestions? I’m a big fan of Last of Us, Tom Raider and Uncharted but looking for a more simple game for shorter time periods.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
How about......Doom. Smile

Or

Duke Nukem Forever. Ok the game is kinda shit but not nearly as bad as it was made out to be.

The more things change and all that. The current Doom is supposed to be very Run and Gun.

The Farcry games do try to weave stories but are basically run and gun bullet Fests.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
How about......Doom. Smile

This. The 2016 Doom remake is quite awesome. There's another new Doom that's coming out next year, called Doom Eternal.

There are also new Wolfenstein games that are available on the PS4, including The New Order, The Old Blood, and The New Colossus.

The Serious Sam series is an homage to old school Doom-style FPSs. There's not one for the PS4 yet (Serious Sam 4 for the PS4 comes out next year) but you may be able to find a cheap PC copy of Serious Sam 1-3 that could run on your laptop.

The various Call of Duty games aren't as "frantic run and gun" as the Doom/Wolf games, but they're still good for hopping in for a few minutes to shoot some AI mooks.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try F.E.A.R., Serious Sam, or Painkiller on the laptop. I think Dishonored may be available for the PS4 as well as PC. Less run and gun, more Thief-ish.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is a game called "Hard Reset" that should fit the bill.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the new Wolfenstein? The new order is excellent as is its expansion. I like the new colossus but I dont love it due to its political tones.

I've really enjoyed Far Cry 4 and 5.

We do of course have a new last of us heading our way as well.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Ive heard Farcry is a great first person shooter, but I haven’t tried it yet and it may be more than you are looking for.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It must have been a while since I searched... or maybe the online purchase at the PS store scared me off.

I’ve played FarCry 4, it was alright. I did like Dishonored but not a quick, short time game play. It’s tough to pick it up for 20 minutes at a time type thing.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Picked up Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein. Duke is just what I was looking for, haven’t tried Wolf yet.

Thanks!

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Would Prey fit the bill? Or is that too Destiny ish

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Tomb Raider for PS4 was surprisingly tons of fun. Not nearly as "for kids" as I expected, and the fiery battle at the enemy compound was great. First of the TR series I've ever played. Not even much of a fan of the movies, though Jolie and cosplay Lara are hot...

And I really enjoyed Prey, takes place on a space station, spooky atmospherics and aliens, good story, good action, best with headphones or loud-ish sounds in a quiet, dark, room.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Give Fallout 4 a try if you want something with a bit more depth. Otherwise, the Call of Duty series is very good. We have a PS3 and PS4, but I prefer PC gaming over console. The console is still fun too though for certain games.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Fallout 4 is a great game, but pretty tough to just jump into for a few minutes at a time.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump. Looking again.

Last of Us II, Tomb Raider, Horizon Zero Dawn all played through.

Orange Box, Half Life was good.

War zone or something is intriguing if it can be played solo and not online etc.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Far Cry 5 or Far Cry - A New Dawn. Both good with a huge open world to explore.

Ghost Recon -Wildlands, or Ghost Recon - Breakpoint.

All are pretty cheap now as they've been out a while.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Get the sequel to Horizon, the Forbidden West.

I just went through the new Doom; it also came with the classic Doom, Doom 2, and Doom 3.

Awesome!

I’m also going through Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, and several of the DLC. It’s pretty damn good so far.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Several old Call of Duty games have Zombie mode for a different variation.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Cyberpunk 2077 is an excellent newer shooter (now that they bugs have been worked out). Unfortunately, performance on the PS4 is sketchy.

You're going to run into that with most modern games. The PS4 is last generation tech, and most newly released games are going to be for the PS5 only. If they even support the PS4, the performance on the PS4 is going to be seriously degraded compared to what the developers intended.

So you'll probably want to stick to games released 2020ish and before.

quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
War zone or something is intriguing if it can be played solo and not online etc.

It can't. Warzone is multiplayer only.

posted Hide Post
Lol, I've been playing cyberpunk 2077 since it came out. It worked on the PS4 if you were willing to accept something getting weird every once in a while. I haven't played it on PS4 since getting a Gaming PC however. It is incredible on the PC especially as you can mod etc.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post