SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Games similar to DOOM or WOLF 3D for the PS4?

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Games similar to DOOM or WOLF 3D for the PS4? Login/Join 
posted
I’d like something like the older DOOM, WOLF 3D or even Duke Nukem games to be played on the PS4. Alternately, on the laptop if they’re not too hardware intensive as far as speed and and video cards etc. go.

Any suggestions? I’m a big fan of Last of Us, Tom Raider and Uncharted but looking for a more simple game for shorter time periods.

Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !

Posts: 6962 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
How about......Doom. Smile

Or

Duke Nukem Forever. Ok the game is kinda shit but not nearly as bad as it was made out to be.

The more things change and all that. The current Doom is supposed to be very Run and Gun.

The Farcry games do try to weave stories but are basically run and gun bullet Fests.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
How about......Doom. Smile

This. The 2016 Doom remake is quite awesome. There's another new Doom that's coming out next year, called Doom Eternal.

There are also new Wolfenstein games that are available on the PS4, including The New Order, The Old Blood, and The New Colossus.

The Serious Sam series is an homage to old school Doom-style FPSs. There's not one for the PS4 yet (Serious Sam 4 for the PS4 comes out next year) but you may be able to find a cheap PC copy of Serious Sam 1-3 that could run on your laptop.

The various Call of Duty games aren't as "frantic run and gun" as the Doom/Wolf games, but they're still good for hopping in for a few minutes to shoot some AI mooks.

Posts: 21023 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try F.E.A.R., Serious Sam, or Painkiller on the laptop. I think Dishonored may be available for the PS4 as well as PC. Less run and gun, more Thief-ish.

Posts: 701 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
There is a game called "Hard Reset" that should fit the bill.

Arc.

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

Rode hard, put away wet. RIP JHM

"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 24661 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the new Wolfenstein? The new order is excellent as is its expansion. I like the new colossus but I dont love it due to its political tones.

I've really enjoyed Far Cry 4 and 5.

We do of course have a new last of us heading our way as well.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Western Wa | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2

Posts: 10315 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Ive heard Farcry is a great first person shooter, but I haven’t tried it yet and it may be more than you are looking for.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 14278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It must have been a while since I searched... or maybe the online purchase at the PS store scared me off.

I’ve played FarCry 4, it was alright. I did like Dishonored but not a quick, short time game play. It’s tough to pick it up for 20 minutes at a time type thing.

Posts: 6962 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein. Duke is just what I was looking for, haven’t tried Wolf yet.

Thanks!