SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Blade Runner 2049 Trailer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blade Runner 2049 Trailer Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Underwhelmed. Good graphics, interesting sets/effects.

I am not a student of film, but I know when I am checking my watch well before the movie is half over that there is something amiss.

Agree 1000%. Worst movie I've seen this year. And I've seen probably 6 or 7 movies so far. Graphics don't make a movie for me. I am NOT impressed with $150 million dollars worth of CGI. Give me substance, great acting, and storyline.

Don't waste your money.

Dunkirk, Baby Driver, and Wind River were much better 2017 releases.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Took my son to see it this weekend. We're fans of the first movie and were NOT disappointed in this one.

Not a spoiler but I noticed something pretty cool....

When the first Bladerunner came out, William Gibson had just finished Neuromancer and was somewhat dejected in that he worried that people would believe that the stole his ideas from it. Neuromancer and the rest of the Sprawl series turned out to be some of the best science fiction ever written. In Bladerunner 2049 there is some tech portrayed that definitely originated in the Sprawl series. Awesome nod to Gibson's work.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, I never saw the original. Should I see that first?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Believe it or not, I never saw the original. Should I see that first?

Yes. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to watch the shorts that were released prior to 2049. This movie is a direct sequel and picks up after the original story. Still watchable I would imagine, but better if you've seen the first one.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
What he said. And definitely watch the shorts. Totally makes sense of the whole "library" scene and references to the Blackout.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellas! It's a plan!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night on IMAX, good movie. Not as good as the original but good nonetheless. The visuals were absolutely amazing.

My only complaint about it would be the score was overbearing and just wrong for the mood at times. I don't know if it was just the IMAX system I saw it on or what but in scenes like the fight in the water it just was to loud, somber and brought me out of the moment. It didn't fit the mood of the moment at all.

But it was a good movie that left you pondering things afterwards and deserves a second viewing. Just don't expect any "...tears in the rain..." type of poetic moments.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Just got back from IMAX. It wasn't as groundbreaking as the first film. However, I enjoyed it more than the original. I think it comes down to the performances. The replicants are more authentic and genuinely human than the human characters like the original, and this movie also carries that over. This movie has far more replicants in it than humans, and that might be why I think the performances are better. I'm pretty sure Denis Villeneuve is better with actors than Ridley Scott, but I'm wondering how much of a conscious decision it was to make all the human characters soulless.

As far as things I didn't like, I wasn't a fan of them setting up a sequel 2/3rds through the movie. The best parts of any Jared Leto movie for me is when he's horrifically disfigured and/or killed, and we'll probably have to wait for Blade Runner 3 before that happens. I also think the final battle was a bit too short and not that threatening. It was too clean and lacked the visceral effect that Deckard running away from Roy Batty or Deckard killing Pris and Zhora. After reading Science Fiction for so many years about machine fighting one another and reading about tactics from the special ops units of John Scalzi's Old Man's War, I want to see a replicant fight where they don't care about their condition because they either aren't going to survive or someone can fix the damage later. And Luv deserved far better than just drowning.

All of that is fairly minor. It was rather magical and I was taken to another world that felt realistic. That doesn't happen too much and I hope that we get a Blade Runner 3. I've also read than Denis Villeneuve also wants to tackle Dune, and after this I really want to see that.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Something else really cool that I found out after is they were able to get Syd Mead to design all of Las Vegas. It's also the best designed setting in the movie, down to even the electronics used. The nightclub was a mind blowing setting, and the jukebox looked like something Sony could actually build and sell. I'm probably going to have to see it again and check for some more easter eggs. That's not something that happens to me at the movies anymore.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just caught this thread.... have not been to a theater in years... but might have to.
I watched the original on my 25th birthday. (Wikipedia says it was released on June 25th 1982, this can't be right in that I saw it on the 21st) I was so 'blown away' by the movie that I sat through it a 2nd time. Ruger Howard's death scene at the end of the movie always gets me....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
wife and I watched the final cut a few nights ago, then saw 2049 in 3d the next day,

she thought it was an ok movie, but a bit loud in sections and too long,

she likes the original but watching it once every few years is enough,

I watch the original a few times a year and thought the sequel was mighty good,

will likely go see it again on imax or just regular theater screen before it ends just to catch some stuff I missed or did not catch in reference to something else,

damn good movie, and yes, looking forward to Dune

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’ve been hearing that Blade Runner 2049 has been a complete flop at the box office and theaters are starting to pull it, so I went last night to see it.

It was good, but didn’t blow me away like I was expecting, I’d give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

I loved the whole dystopian theme, even more so than the original with snow(!) in LA, a massive seawall holding the Pacific back from LA and the bleak yet high tech cityscapes.

Hated the douchy Wallace character, Leto comes across as overacting and trying to be too god-like and not tycoon-like like as Tyrell was portrayed. The music was disappointing to me too, as with Rogue One which had vaguely Star War-ish music, this had some vaguely Blade Runner-ish music but you could definitely tell that Vangelis was not involved.

The 2049 blaster was bad-ass! Double taps each time I heard him use it. Nice update to the original which was sort of futuristic revolver like, this one was more like a Glock or Sig from 2049.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Watched this last night. I enjoyed the film and it was breathtaking to look at.

I am confused about replicants and their needs. Do they have to eat? K is eating sushi in one scene. Why do they have to breathe? How do you kill a replicant by drowning them or choking them. How do they bleed out?

It seems sort of strange to me that they are just enhanced humans.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post