SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Blade Runner 2049 Trailer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blade Runner 2049 Trailer Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Ummmmm....five times? Are you referring to the UberGeek Collector's box?

Theatrical cut (US)
Theatrical cut (European) - basically the same as the US cut, just more gore
Director's cut - Scott trying to settle the "Is Deckard a Replicant" argument in his favor.
The Final Cut - Director's Cut with more eye/ear candy.
Working cut- exactly that, a working cut, hardly a movie unto itself.

So...TWO tries. And frankly the first one was the bomb. I appreciate the improved A/V of the Final Cut, but it wasn't a "fix". More like "Hey, I can re-release this and make mo money!"

And I have no idea where you are getting the 'radically different plot points' from. The only thing the Director and Final cuts added were scenes making it more obvious that Scott wanted Deckard to be a Replicant...something anyone with half a brain would have wondered from the original cut. Oh, and they fixed the face of Zhora as she did the 100m Plate Glass Dash.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Bought my ticket tonight. XD/3D, ATMOS, recliner, assigned seat in the big theater. 2.5 weeks to go!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
To make matters worse, they are planning on releasing an improved blaster model. Only $899.95 for pre-order! LOL

Not gonna lie, I thought about it for a minute or two.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
To make matters worse, they are planning on releasing an improved blaster model. Only $899.95 for pre-order! LOL

Wow! Who would of thought that Charter Arms would be making a police handgun in the future!
(Check out that cylinder release...)
Not gonna lie, I thought about it for a minute or two.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought they did away with the finger grooves for the new Gen. 5 models.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like movies that rely on subtext and interpretation. Who wants to be hit over the head with every point a director/scriptwriter wants to make?

When you can make a movie like 2001, The Shining, or Mullholland Dr. on the first attempt, that's fine. When it takes you FIVE tries to get the movie right and when you have fans picking and choosing which parts they liked from the different cuts for 20 years with some radically different plot points, you start losing that argument.

Fundamentally, there are two versions. The original release, which has narration by Ford/Decker. The studio thought it needed narration to make it understandable to "simpleminded" audiences. Scott's and the scriptwriter's version had no narration. The studio version also has the "happy ending" which makes it clear that Rachel and Deckard escaped to live happily ever after.

The director's cut has the narration removed, and removes the happy ending scene, and is more what Scott wanted. It isn't clear that Rachel and Deckard escape. Importantly, it also contains the line from the Olmos character that implies that Decakard might be a replicant.

I don't dislike the studio version, perhaps because it is what I saw first. But there is less definitive resolution in the Scott cut.

But there are really only two versions. The others are minor variants. And they don't detract from my point about not having to have every movie beat you over the head with a clear cut resolution.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Fundamentally, there are two versions. The original release, which has narration by Ford/Decker. The studio thought it needed narration to make it understandable to "simpleminded" audiences. Scott's and the scriptwriter's version had no narration. The studio version also has the "happy ending" which makes it clear that Rachel and Deckard escaped to live happily ever after.

I actually prefer the voice-over version of Blade Runner, the movie to me feels like a slightly dystopian noir film and the narration by the detective character works well for that feel.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I've tried to avoid this thread because I don't want to go TOO assholish and I don't want to write a whole college thesis on this either. Hopefully, I can straddle that line. And while "radical plot points" might be hyperbole, they do affect the pacing and the movie experience.

quote:
Are you referring to the UberGeek Collector's box?

Well, if you want to be an uberdouche, it's an extension of the list made by Paul M. Sammon's Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner. If anyone likes Blade Runner, it's an excellent chronology of Blade Runner's making even after the Dangerous Days documentary. It's just been updated for Final Cut and when it comes out on Kindle, I'm buying it.

The workprint was pretty much Ridley Scott's last cut of the film before Perenchio and Yorkin took the film away. Deckard isn't a replicant, the awful good ending hasn't been cut together from outtakes of The Shining, nor any narration except for Roy's death (which wasn't bad). Pretty much version one.

Next is the Theatrical/International Cut. They're mostly the same except with a little more violence and gore in the latter. I don't know why they did that, but there's a very good reason Bud Yorkin and Jerry Perenchio aren't big time producers like Bruckheimer/Silver/Spielberg etc... You might say they had one that is easier to show on TV and one best for theaters/HBO. And something I've never figured out about the ending is if LA is a massive polluted shithole, why aren't people north and getting out of the muck? You can't say they're "locked" in LA if they're trying to get people out to the off-world colonies.

The original "Director's Cut" was an abortion that never should have happened. The original workprint is rediscovered and sells out a lot of screenings. It's a dramatic shift in tone compared to the studio version and the version a lot of people considered the best until the Final Cut. It's doing so much gangbusters that Warner Bros. is going to put out an "Enhanced Workprint" on VHS as a Director's Cut. That's all well and good, but if you've seen the workprint, there's tons of scratches, color imperfections, bad cuts, the temp track left in because Vangelis hasn't finished scoring, and other things that make it look like a 16 year old made it.

So to avoid bad PR from Ridley Scott and him too busy with Thelma and Louise to give it a 100% effort, we get a half assed version that splits the difference. The happy ending with the "no age limit" replicant Rachel, the unicorn scene from Legend because the couldn't find a good version of the one they shot for BR in time, the narration is gone, and a minor change when Gaff taunts Deckard on the rooftop asking him, "But are you sure you are a man?" This is the most blatant "Deckard is a replicant" version of all of them. The biggest, most gigantic problem of all with this version is the movie has the same timing as the theatrical cut. They chopped some big things out of it, but it was still cut for the narration. About 90% of the movie has scenes that are WAY too long because they have to wait for the narration to finish. So instead of listening to a narration, there's nothing to move a scene along instead of an absurdly long shot of Deckard reading a newspaper and getting on with the scene because the narration is over. This is probably the worst version of all of them because removing the things the producers did to it caused a lot of other problems as collateral damage.

We get the Final Cut about 15 years after the Director's Cut that fixes all the problems the Director's Cut has, gives you the pacing of the workprint with none of the downsides, keeps the bad narration out, and does the best to straddle the question on if Deckard is a human or a replicant. Instead of doing all but saying Deckard is a replicant, you can argue it both ways with this version which in my opinion is where it should be.

Maybe in another 25-30 years, we can get someone to write a good narration that just doesn't explain the scene for a blind person read by a Harrison Ford with his fingers over his nose, but until then, I like the movie better without narration with the only exception being when Roy Batty dies. Either that or we get a streaming version where we can switch back and forth between all versions to get everyone's "perfect" version.

Circling back to the original point, there's at least 4 different versions (5 if more blood counts) that leave to with different conclusions and leave you with different experiences. If the Final Cut had come out in 1982, I'd have a lot more respect for it not spelling this out and leaving things ambiguous. With all the cuts, you get various aspects on "this is that" and "this is ambiguous" where you get a movie like 2001 or Mulholland Dr that gets everything right the first time with no waffling about this or that version saying that or this and so on.

Now I'm going to go away bummed that I wrote a massive post that I didn't want to...

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
New clip. 2048: Nowhere To Run.

It's nice to see the grime back.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Critics saw it this week. "Masterpiece" was used. "One of the best films of 2017."
"Should get nominated for Oscars."

And several said, get this...."Better than the original."

Harrison Ford said it was the best script he'd ever read in his career.

They advised to see it on the biggest screen possible, with the best sound. I got my reservation for opening night with just those things. As excited as I've been about a film in a long, long time. I've been waiting since the original Matrix to leave a movie theater blown away and this may be the film that does it. One last thing. They are NDA'd on plot but they did advise to avoid reading reviews as it will be very easy to give away the plot, etc. So if you were a fan of the original, go in blind. Don't ruin it.

One week to go.

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Got my IMAX tickets yesterday, can't wait!

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've tried to avoid this thread because I don't want to go TOO assholish and I don't want to write a whole college thesis on this either. Hopefully, I can straddle that line.

I appreciate your long post. I've only seen the theatrical version, so I now know I want to see the "Final Cut" and not waste time with the other versions. Thanks,

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
I've tried to avoid this thread because I don't want to go TOO assholish and I don't want to write a whole college thesis on this either. Hopefully, I can straddle that line.

I appreciate your long post. I've only seen the theatrical version, so I now know I want to see the "Final Cut" and not waste time with the other versions. Thanks,

This + 1

I'm looking for the Final Cut so I can actually watch it start to finish.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Thanks. If this interested you, you would love the Future Noir book. I will be bold enough to say it's more interesting than the movie, and I'm not giving it a backhand compliment. Everything attached to the movie is not but interesting. Just make sure you get this version:

https://www.amazon.com/Future-...keywords=future+noir

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
There is only the original and directors cut available On Demand. Sounds like the Final Cut is what a first timer needs to see

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Alamo drafthouse had the final cut 4K in theaters for one showing a few weeks ago. First time I'd seen the final cut and it's definitely my favorite version.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Got my IMAX tickets yesterday, can't wait!

One day to go for me. I didn’t want to go into work tired tomorrow morning. Can’t wait. The word of mouth after tonight is going to be epic, and the best word of mouth in years. Critics sitting at 92% on RT with many calling it a masterpiece of film. Man I wish I could see it tonight. Patience grashopper!

Non spoiler review:
https://youtu.be/E6eRA8PnuW4

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prefontaine,

Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
^ Prefontaine, I was interested but not super excited to see this movie- until I read your posts in this thread. Your enthusiasm is contagious. Big Grin

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night. Every bit as good as the first. The wife liked it so well she wants to see it again. She's never done that before...

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post