SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Trekkies - Borg question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trekkies - Borg question Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
If the Borg came out of a quadrant very far away, and they assimilate all different kinds of life, why are they all white humans? (Because they are racist, yes) Where are the other races?

I know they explained why all the races are similar in appearance, bi-pedal, two eyes, symmetrical body etc, in the sector as the result of an ancient race seeding the sector with DNA that was all similar and then it all developed differently on different planets, but the Borg are not from that area.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Most of the life in the Milky Way looks like us, even way out in the Delta Quadrant.

Here, nerd out: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Borg

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I will dive in

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably due to the cost of makeups and costumes. Maybe because they would scare the viewer more? Interesting question, I'd love to hear the official answer. Airsoft Guy's link was pretty informative, I was worried that it was a trap, but it wasn't.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Great question!! Never noticed or paid attention to that. Yeah...what about an Andorian Borg?? Xindi Borg? Suliban Borg? I've never seen any.

I'm wrapping up the last 10 or so episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise. It's been pretty good...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Probably due to the cost of makeups and costumes. Maybe because they would scare the viewer more? Interesting question, I'd love to hear the official answer. Airsoft Guy's link was pretty informative, I was worried that it was a trap, but it wasn't.

Part of the official answer is that all assimilated species acquire a similar skin tone (white in the original appearances, and a more sickly ashy gray as they progressed).

In various media all races, whether they were human, Klingon, Cardassian, Hirogen, etc...developed near-identical ash gray skin tones once assimilated into the Collective, regardless of their original skin tones.

From an out-of-universe perspective, I believe it was to give them a more corpse-like appearance...it makes them scarier. Slow, shambling, unstoppable, and death-like creatures that if they even touch you, can assimilate you.

Edit: Here's a Klingon Borg from First Contact:

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Borg in Voyager had better makeup in terms of facial ridges and humanoid but distinctly non-human features.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have read they were initially conceived as insectoid, but that is pretty hard to pull off in live action and on a TV budget. In fact, that's the whole reason behind most Star Trek alien races being humanoids.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I think it points up the idea that there's no individuality in such a collective.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Most of the life in the Milky Way looks like us, even way out in the Delta Quadrant.

Here, nerd out: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Borg

Being a Stargate Atlantis fan, if you travel out farther like the Pegasus Galaxy, the farther you get the whiter they seem, like the albino-like Wraith..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
So who wins in a battle, the Borg or Q?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
So who wins in a battle, the Borg or Q?

Couldn’t the Q just think the Borg out of existence?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Q wins. No question.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep. Q wins. No question.

Borg are corporeal beings, limited to our world and our dimension.

Q are transcendent beings, able to do anything they think of. The Q could blink the Borg out of existence with barely a thought.

As for the reason they are, in the majority, white Caucasians: SFX are expensive. Just like how the Klingons in the Original Series were just dark-skinned guys with funny eyebrows and in the TNG era (and beyond), had fancy forehead ridges.

In the 'real' world, they would be composed of countless different species, with different facial structures, body types, etc. There would be Borg versions of the Gorn (big lizzards), Tholians (look like big insects), Zindi (monkeys, insects, fish, insectoids), Tholians, Vulcans, etc. The TV shows have always been limited by their SFX budgets.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I just wish more looked like 7 of 9.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I just wish more looked like 7 of 9.

Sigh....
There will never be another Seven of Nine.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
They take the role of Nazis in the series. So, there's that.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
There were some they did not assimilate since they brought no value to the collective

There were multi racial Borg, even Tuvok was semi Borg at one time

You must of missed it when you went down to the basement to feed your captive

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
7 of 9 makes me 5 to 7 every time I see her

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
Sigh....
There will never be another Seven of Nine.

Wh-Why is there a Galaxy-class behind her, though?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post