SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    John Wick 2 - *** SPOILERS and discussion ***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Wick 2 - *** SPOILERS and discussion *** Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Michael Nyqvist dies, 56 years old.

Lung cancer Frown

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Michael Nyqvist dies, 56 years old.

"I'll be seeing you...."

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a shame. He was a good actor.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/_yk7K8-HnfI

https://youtu.be/rCIgpUTvfsA

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Wick1 and the first half of Wick2 drew heavily from the story line of Shibumi, one of my three favorite books.

If you've not read Shibumi, read Trevannian's first three books, The Eiger Sanction, The Loo Sanction, and The Main, then read Shibumi. Some of Eric Van Lustbader's story lines sneak in too.

Overall it is a solid 4.1 on a 1-5 scale.

Based on your recommendation I have read the 1st 2 and am starting Shibumi on my next flight! Loved them, Thank you

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
The first movie was more pure, distilled, if you will. The premise was AWESOME, in a visceral way. We have all probably wanted to be John Wick in the first movie at some point in our lives, if not to that extreme.

The second movie was more opening the door to a third movie than it was an extension of the first. They let us in to the assassin's world a bit more, but the whole plot was sort of meh.

That said, I did enjoy it thoroughly, but not as much as the first one.

So, basically Matrix Reloaded? Wink

Just rented it the other night. Put me in the camp that thought it was decent but found myself wanting to fast-forward through some of the extended fight scenes. Not worth buying and probably won't go out of my way to see it again.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:

Agreed...I'll take the Swedish version of Dragon Tattoo, subtitles and all, over the Daniel Craig remake.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by callibird:
quote:

Agreed...I'll take the Swedish version of Dragon Tattoo, subtitles and all, over the Daniel Craig remake.

+100

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:
Originally posted by callibird:
quote:

+100

Ditto

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
Just rented it the other night. Put me in the camp that thought it was decent but found myself wanting to fast-forward through some of the extended fight scenes. Not worth buying and probably won't go out of my way to see it again.

necro post...just watched it twice

What got me ...like everyone else was the end. Wick is a highly principled guy, he's taken years to rein his emotions-in and do things with the utmost amount of professionalism. His life is one of processes and boundaries, look at his house for example, yet, at the end he violates a cardinal rule. Now, I get that he wanted out of the hit-man/fixer world...however, by breaking a cardinal rule, it only puts him deeper into jeopardy of that very world he wishes to leave. Doesn't compute. He would've been better off staking-out D'Antonio, plugging him when he steps out of the Continental and that'd be the end.

...and yes, what does Ruby Rose bring other than some interesting eyes and DSL's?

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

What got me ...like everyone else was the end. Wick is a highly principled guy, he's taken years to rein his emotions-in and do things with the utmost amount of professionalism. His life is one of processes and boundaries, look at his house for example, yet, at the end he violates a cardinal rule. Now, I get that he wanted out of the hit-man/fixer world...however, by breaking a cardinal rule, it only puts him deeper into jeopardy of that very world he wishes to leave. Doesn't compute. He would've been better off staking-out D'Antonio, plugging him when he steps out of the Continental and that'd be the end.

...and yes, what does Ruby Rose bring other than some interesting eyes and DSL's?

Maybe he has realized there is no out anymore. He willingly walks to his death at the end, he knows he is going to be killed, but Winston saves him, and just kicks him out.

Now he has to deal with the High Table, but not the Continental. Now he figures he will kill his way out or die trying, either way, I don't think he cares much

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

necro post...just watched it twice

Highly principled, really a decent stand-up guy. But when you cross him, he doesn't really hold back any of the focus, commitment and sheer fucking will he is otherwise known for. Wink

I thought it was an interesting plot device that each crime organization principal has a 'dragon', i.e. their main tough guy/bodyguard/enforcer person.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon

Viggo had Kirill, who was by far the biggest threat in the first movie. The comparison between the dragons of the two D'Antonios is telling.

One, Cassian, is a serious professional who gave Wick a serious challenge. Fits with his employer having been the one chosen to inherit the family's seat at the High Table, and also a friend of Wick.

The other, Ares was essentially a poser with a huge ego and a bad attitude - a perfect match for her employer... who was passed over to inherit the family's seat at the High Table. And Wick defeating her quickly and easily (loved when he picked her up and bounced her off a wall) was not really a surprise.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wick was already marked for death with the contract on him and could not wait out the bad guy,D'Antonio, as he even stated he could stay there for ever and never have the same meal twice. We also are told that D'Antonio wanted the Continental, (and everything else)and was going to take it over from Winston,by force( see the scrapped/missing parts on youtube as the director did not add them into the movie),so there was no choice to be made other than to kill him in the Continental. It was a fun movie to watch.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the marker that Winston gave John.....I really doubt it was the marker between D'Antonio and John, as that had been fulfilled.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post