SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    John Wick 2 - *** SPOILERS and discussion ***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Wick 2 - *** SPOILERS and discussion *** Login/Join 
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I just got back from the theater and Wick 2 was pretty good. The first was better and the actions scenes were a bit much but the time flew by pretty quickly. Love the honor code at the Continental. interesting world they have set up. I hope there is a little less action and more character development in Chapter 3.

Can you make it from New York city to New Jersey in an hour so Wick can get his ride from Aurelio before he is persona non grata?

Yes. Depending on the time. Usually less than half hour. It's extremely close.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Wife and I saw it tonight. Both loved it as much as the first.

What was that about at the end when all the people froze and then on command just walked away? Can't quite wrap my head around it.

I love the whole continental thing and that guy Winston can't figure him out completely either. Just how much power does he possess. He clearly has a bit of a soft spot for Wick.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It was Winston showing how much control he has.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
What was that about at the end when all the people froze and then on command just walked away? Can't quite wrap my head around it.

Originally posted by Chowser:

That was pretty goofy. I was expecting everyone to start dancing in a huge coordinated flash mob, like maybe the "Thriller" dance!

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Winston was showing his power, and showing Wick what he was up against. Showing him if he wanted Wick dead he would be right there, but because of their friendship he was giving him an hour. Rules are rules, so he has no choice but to order the hit, but he doesn't want to.

So its not that every other person in NY was an assassin, but that every assassin in NY was summoned by Winston to be in that park for a shot at the $14 million on Wicks head

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:

Originally posted by Chowser:

That was pretty goofy. I was expecting everyone to start dancing in a huge coordinated flash mob, like maybe the "Thriller" dance!

Definitely a show of power.

Moriarty did something similar in "A Game of Shadows." The woman he is supposed to meet, dictated they meet in a high-class, filled-to-capacity restaurant to ensure her safety. When he alludes to this, he then snaps his fingers and every single person in the restaurant goes silent, stands up, and leaves. Just showing that his reach was far more vast than she had thought, and he had basically made sure everyone there at that time was on his payroll.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Definitely a show of power.

Moriarty did something similar in "A Game of Shadows." The woman he is supposed to meet, dictated they meet in a high-class, filled-to-capacity restaurant to ensure her safety. When he alludes to this, he then snaps his fingers and every single person in the restaurant goes silent, stands up, and leaves. Just showing that his reach was far more vast than she had thought, and he had basically made sure everyone there at that time was on his payroll.

Worth the Google Search!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Kind of meh...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rented it tonight and I enjoyed it, maybe not a much as the first but it was still solid.

The director has already hinted that they are going to change up the paradigm for the next file and it won't be a continuation of the ramp up like there was from 1 to 2.

I think the token Winston gave John was the completed one from Dantonio so John could use it to clear his name with the high table. It would seem silly to be from Winston because John could just use it to have his excommunicado revoked.

I believe Common is still alive because they forshadowed it immediately after when Morpheus explain how John did almost the exact same thing with him.

People need to stop trying to make Ruby Rose a movie star.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
This could have been something. It just wasn't a good film, despite having stuff in it we all like. The director pulled it off in the fist one but you can tell he just doesn't have the experience to pull it all together. Too much flash, little substance.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Liked the first one better.

Was thinking last night while watching the DVD - even if you knew it was "John F'ing Wick" when you sent your crew after him: I don't think anyone would send 25 or 30 people just to kill one guy. Just not realistic. Even super shooter Wick would eventually get hit in the face or somewhere the "tactical fabric liner" didn't cover, just due to the shear volume of fire coming at him. AND if you had a Rifle - why would you drop it in favor of a shotgun ? Rifle's going to go through any tactical fabric the other shooters are wearing.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I thought it was strange for Wick to have a Trijicon Accupoint on the rifle instead of something lighter like a MRO or T1/T2 or even an Eotech...the rifle-work was all at close range Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Liked the first one better.

Was thinking last night while watching the DVD - even if you knew it was "John F'ing Wick" when you sent your crew after him: I don't think anyone would send 25 or 30 people just to kill one guy. Just not realistic. Even super shooter Wick would eventually get hit in the face or somewhere the "tactical fabric liner" didn't cover, just due to the shear volume of fire coming at him. AND if you had a Rifle - why would you drop it in favor of a shotgun ? Rifle's going to go through any tactical fabric the other shooters are wearing.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The entire John Wick story line is based, in part, on Nicholai Hel in Shibumi.

Those that are familiar with this book know in the end, the vast reach of Mother Company is inescapable.

The characters align well -

Wick = Hel
Winston = deLandes
Helen = Hannah
Aurellio = Le Cagot
Viggo = Diamond

In Wick 1, the guard sitting in the pickup at the gate at the airport where Wick goes to practice driving and to terrify Daisy is reading a later printing of Shibumi.

Even killing someone with a pencil is a feature of Shibumi.

quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
BTW, Baba Yaga ...

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Winston was showing his power, and showing Wick what he was up against. Showing him if he wanted Wick dead he would be right there, but because of their friendship he was giving him an hour. Rules are rules, so he has no choice but to order the hit, but he doesn't want to.

So its not that every other person in NY was an assassin, but that every assassin in NY was summoned by Winston to be in that park for a shot at the $14 million on Wicks head

Which, conveniently, means that none of them can be out in front of Wick to tap him once 60 minutes is up. They are all behind him at the onset of pursuit.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Heard they had to delay filming for 12 months while the ammo industry caught up....

Both are/were good films, it's action, has a bit of a story, entertainment, the gun skills are excellent, not too much seems out of place when you consider the premise is that there is an underground of assassins paid with coins who have access to all the guns, ammo and a safe place.

The sommelier scene was great, as was the taylor,

Formal or Social : Social
one button or two: Two
and what Style?: Tactical...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
The 1911 press check was cool!

I've seen the press check style before, but I can't put my finger on where.

The Oracle's guardian, Seraph, does it in the third Matrix movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m-ksJxJ6tA

Ah that I why I couldn't remember it, I blocked the very idea that The Matrix had sequels from my memory.

Steven Seagal does a lot of press checks in his movies. The one that stands out to me is Underseige when the SEALs are closing in. I'm pretty sure it's a 1911 he press checks.

Confirmed: it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVWh7jiS2is

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ he was talking about that specific style of press check.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall the hero from the Korean action movie The Man From Nowhere doing a similar style of press check with a Glock 19.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
John Wick would never wear a tie

Agreed.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
With all the crappy "action movies" that have actors that look like actors who were handed guns, we pick nits over a story that has a dude that actually trained hard to look the part of a gunfighter.

The internet continues to amaze me. Confused

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post