February 12, 2017, 09:17 AM
Ronin1069
John Wick 2 - *** SPOILERS and discussion ***

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 12, 2017, 09:33 AM
Orguss
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Speaking of Cassian, "body armor is for sissies"? You would think he would have though to wear a vest with a plate given the shootout and wrestling match in Rome.

The armor lining that Wick requested at the Rome Continental was only woven into his coat. Cassian had the same armor lining in his coat. However, the shirts weren't armored and both assassins were injured through attacks to their shirts: Wick was shot in the stomach while Cassian was stabbed through the heart.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
February 12, 2017, 09:33 AM
Ronin101
I liked the detail to the firearms. I liked the Benelli. it wasn't the best choice but I thought it had the cool factor.

As someone said. I got tred of watching him do the flip move and shoot everyone and then shoot the guy he has pinned. It works when you do it once or twice. No thirty times. Roll Eyes
February 12, 2017, 10:28 AM
CD228
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Speaking of Cassian, "body armor is for sissies"? You would think he would have though to wear a vest with a plate given the shootout and wrestling match in Rome.

The armor lining that Wick requested at the Rome Continental was only woven into his coat. Cassian had the same armor lining in his coat. However, the shirts weren't armored and both assassins were injured through attacks to their shirts: Wick was shot in the stomach while Cassian was stabbed through the heart.

Ja, I get that. But the magic wonder weave isn't the only thing available, an AR500 plate would have stopped that knife dead. One would think that if you are chasing the boogey man, you would dress accordingly.
February 12, 2017, 02:28 PM
Strambo
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. My take on the car scene was that getting the car back was closure for Pt 1. He avenged the pup (and has a new one), avenged the ones who took the car. This new BG ended up with the car, but didn't know at the time and isn't the one who took it.

He didn't want to kill anyone for it out of revenge at this point, that part was over from Pt 1. He just wanted it back, figured if he asked they wouldn't believe him and it would go sideways anyway, so he just took it. From the other perspective, I don't know why they didn't just let him go?

I loved the extended catacomb 3 gun stage! Of course he didn't need the shotgun, just more AR mags, but it was great to see it worked in just for the cool factor, especially the reloads.

Regarding Winston, I got the impression watching it that he was the "King", approving the quality of the coins, gave Wick his marker at the end and his number was 1111.

I agree that Ruby Rose was kinda annoying. I didn't realize she was supposed to be a physical threat at all to Wick, she just struck me as Henchmen middle management.

Though he chooses to go to the ground waaay more than tactically prudent, I must admit I do love this unique seamless blend of Judo, Aikido, BJJ and shooting. Any 1 interaction reads as realistic....just a 90 minute string of 70+ not so much, but entertaining.

I liked Equilibrium, but can get into the JW franchise much more enthiastically.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
February 12, 2017, 06:14 PM
FrankMoses
I dunno. I thought the car reclamation scene was just action for actions sake. I think killing all the meaninful Russians in Part 1 was pretty good vengeance.
Come on now. We can't bash the shit out of Hollywood for being throwaway entertainment when they do a Streep, and then micro study every nuance of motive in a no apologies action flick. It's all just goofy fantasy. Just because we recognize the weapons doesn't make it more realistic than a Star Wars shootout.
PS. Not responding to you specifically Strambo
February 12, 2017, 07:43 PM
jljones
A few thoughts-

I don't think that Ruby was deaf, only mute. When JW was in the catacombs and encountered her prior to "loose ends" he was some distance away from her and didn't sign. She seemed to understand what he had to say.

I don't think the coins were fake. When they were unloading the taxi cabs at the first, there were a number of boxes as well as gold bars. The gold bars were removed and sank in what looked like oil buckets. I think Winston was just putting new coins into circulation.

I do agree that we'll see at least Cassian again. The little smirk he gave as the doors were closing, yeah we'll see him again in Pt 3.

I got tired of seeing Glocks. Apparently, they all hung out here.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/5941074751/p/1

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

February 12, 2017, 09:51 PM
crni4
I was so excited to see the movie last night! We even had a stage at our club match called John Wicked (10 targets with 2 to the body one to the head!) and shooters enjoyed it.

But I was disappointed. It was a lot more unrealistic than the first one. That "tactical" liner was a bit too much. The dialogue was hard to enjoy with long pauses between words and lots of staring into each other's eyes. (For that dramatic effect). The gun play was obviously good.

Blah. I was bored and my wife slept through most of it

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
February 12, 2017, 09:55 PM
PorterN
i 100% enjoyed it. I definitely could just sit back and enjoy the whole thing. it was fantastic.

February 12, 2017, 10:59 PM
hunter62
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Just saw it and loved it........now 2 possible points to consider if there is another chapter:

1. Was Winston putting fraudulent gold coins into circulation (scene just before Wick meets him where Winston is meeting with guy and complimenting him on the quality of his gold coins).....or is Winston actually in charge of the coins and the actual "king of the realm"?
2. Whose marker did Winston give to Wick????????

For #2, my original thought was that it was just John Wicks marker, thinking he might need it to survive?

Or, it could be from Winston. Winston certainly had a soft spot for John, and that guy was planning on ruining Winstons kingdom. John did him a favor by taking him out.
February 14, 2017, 08:42 PM
henryarnaud
I enjoyed the sequel, though not as much as the first.

One thing I like about both movies is the use of more traditional judo techniques. Incorporating gunplay into them was just icing on the cake for me.

Speaking of the fight scenes...I think when they super-sized them they lost some of that "tightness" in the first movie's fight scenes, if that makes sense.

I have to admit that I groaned when I saw that extended fight between Wick and Cassian while falling down all those stairs.

As far as Wick violating the Continental's rules, if done right in the third movie it could be interesting to see how he gets by without the benefits of membership. Though I think it would be interesting to get more insight into the Continental's "culture," for lack of a better word.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
February 14, 2017, 08:44 PM
henryarnaud
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
My theory for John Wick 3; John dies and the dog goes out for revenge..

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGpZ9xaQLYQ

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
February 14, 2017, 09:08 PM
Sig2340
Wick1 and the first half of Wick2 drew heavily from the story line of Shibumi, one of my three favorite books.

If you've not read Shibumi, read Trevannian's first three books, The Eiger Sanction, The Loo Sanction, and The Main, then read Shibumi. Some of Eric Van Lustbader's story lines sneak in too.

Overall it is a solid 4.1 on a 1-5 scale.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
February 14, 2017, 09:36 PM
andronicus
I enjoyed it. It was a real "guy" movie. As I was leaving the theater, there were two fat loads in front of me, easily 300lbs each, but with full beards to reduce how full their chins were. Who were talking about how they would have better handled the tactical situations that Mr. Wick faced. It was all I could do not to ask them where the would have placed the dozen donuts that they were carrying while they did so.
February 15, 2017, 02:30 AM
CD228
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I enjoyed it. It was a real "guy" movie. As I was leaving the theater, there were two fat loads in front of me, easily 300lbs each, but with full beards to reduce how full their chins were. Who were talking about how they would have better handled the tactical situations that Mr. Wick faced. It was all I could do not to ask them where the would have placed the dozen donuts that they were carrying while they did so.

Should have asked them where they would have put the tactical defibrillator?
February 15, 2017, 04:03 AM
LastCubScout
Didn't care for it that much. 12-year-old me would've loved that film. Of course, 12-year-old me had never seen a John Woo film or The Raid films. The violence was a little too "clean," even for this rated R flick. When Keanu fought Common on the subway train, I couldn't stop thinking how I preferred Hammer Girl's bloody fight on the subway in The Raid 2 so much more.
February 15, 2017, 05:11 AM
SR025
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
My theory for John Wick 3; John dies and the dog goes out for revenge..

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGpZ9xaQLYQ

Oh hell yes! That was great, thanks for sharing.
February 15, 2017, 09:52 AM
Lord Vaalic
John Wick would never wear a tie

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
February 16, 2017, 01:11 AM
ibanda
Loved the 1st one. I was so bored by 2 that I got up and walked out of the theater.

I have a few SIGs.
February 16, 2017, 09:11 PM
andronicus
I liked the shootout in the catacombs. Most of the rest was just silly. Although the fight with the sumo assassin was pretty good. And Keanu's gun handling was strong.