SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    DCS World, anyone play?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DCS World, anyone play? Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Another cool thing you can do with the track ir is look around things. The video that 1gkek posted, go to 8:36 and watch him move his head around the cockpit.

I have the track IR and will never be without it. It's easy to get used to and use.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So with the virus keeping us home, I've had more time to fly in DCS and something unexpected has happened... I'm actually getting a little bit of motion sickness when I fly the Huey.

My monitor (34" widescreen) is on a monitor arm and I've been pulling it in closer to my face (15-18" maybe) and raising it up to natural eye level. With the head tracking active and the wide screen occupying most of my field of view the immersion is next level. But swinging around in the Huey picking up crates and dropping them off to deploy units in multiplayer (4YA servers right now) gets me a little woozy occasionally. I didn't see that coming. I wonder what a good VR setup would be like.

This is a bad ass sim. I'm competent in the Huey now but I'm still getting stuck in VRS way too often on landing.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Interesting experience, thanks for the input.

I'm interested in trying something like DCS...cost wise, what would a ball park figure be for a complete set-up?

quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
I wonder what a good VR setup would be like.

I've never used VR, but one of the tech radio shows I listen to includes VR coverage and, while many remain impressed with the immersion level, vertigo or motion sickness is a common complaint for a number of users, and while developers are still learning about the effect and how to mitigate it, the Tech Guy thought this was one reason why VR wasn't more popular, and acceptance was going to be limited until they figured the problem out.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

I'm interested in trying something like DCS...cost wise, what would a ball park figure be for a complete set-up?

If you've got a PC that meets the minimum specs below you can buy this joystick from Amazon for $21.99 and start flying.

The game is free and includes two airplanes (SU-25T and TF-51D) and one map (Caucasus region). Other aircraft, maps, and modules are priced separately, but the free offering will get you started. The most expensive planes typically run $80 but they often have sales. You can see today's prices here.

You can spend as much or as little on a joystick as you want - literally. $22 all the way to $500+. Separate HOTAS setups are the higher end ($150 and up). I settled on a $250 setup (X-56) because I could and being surrounded by buttons made me happy. Big Grin

PC system requirements seem to be listed separately for each module. F-16 for example reports these but it seems typical:

quote:
Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

VR requires more.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot about the head tracking.

TrackIR is the go to setup at ~$150 but I went with Delanclip Gamer hardware plus free software (openTrack) instead and it works great. Total cost 37.48 GBP right now (normally 49.99 GBP).

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

I think my biz laptop might be able to pull it off although it might be a bit stretched on memory and speed...but you mentioned using a 34" monitor and that sounds a whole lot more fun and useable than my 17". I'm thinking I might need to save up for a dedicated box and monitor...but thank you for the detailed response as it gives me a benchmark to shoot for.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an old thread Smile

I've gotten deep into multiplayer since this thread began and spend most of my time in the Viper. If you're flying multiplayer, are in a squad, or are interested in joining a squad, send me a note at the email in my profile and let's connect. I don't think we've got enough for a SIGforum squad, but certainly a flight Cool

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Only if you can talk me through all the settings and control mapping.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Only if you can talk me through all the settings and control mapping.

I'm in

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

Posts: 143 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
New South Atlantic map released for early access today...

posted Hide Post

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
One of my coworkers is a Tomcat freak. He's flying with the VNAO group. He's trying to draft me in but of the airframes they use, I only would want to 'specialize' in the Harrier.

I'm also about to complicate my mapping woes by adding two Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs to my flight chair. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bunch of guys in our squad have taken up the tomcat lately. All of them really good hornet drivers, a few of them real assassins in PVP. They're enjoying it, but I'm a viper guy.

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I think I need to retry this. It chugged on my old computer. But I put together a new rig last year, and have been enjoying MSFS2020, even if the guns don't go brrrt.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mirage F1 module dropped today

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’ve thought about it multiple times now… I love flight combat simms. Too much so. I think I would lose myself flying/driving virtually. I’ve also contemplated the full 2-D vrig for the car seat.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post